Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mjeb

Radio Leicester - Stringer

Where have I stated that he should be sacked? Please indulge me by quoting where exactly I ever said this.

I personally don't spend 24/7 on here, but I don't have to justify myself to you.

I've in the past following Stringer's unprofessional antics pointed out why it's inappropriate, and have even in the past suggested that he should pack it in and act accordingly over many years of being a colossal bell. If you don't agree if the majority sentiment on FT and beyond, then don't read this thread and don't post in it. It's really that simple.

Please quote me where I said you did? I said "If you want to". That's not saying you do. Im not asking you to justify yourself either, I really couldn't care less. I don't disagree with you - Stringer can be a knob at times and I agree he isn't the best. But there is a lot worse - Just listen to Radio Nottingham. I think with the right guidance though, Stringer could be decent. He certainly has the enthusiasm.

As for not taking part in this thread if I don't agree? Whats the point in a forum if only people who agree with the OP can post? That's ridiculous. If I don't agree with what is happening or being said, I will say so. Discussing it on here is one thing, but people actively trying to get Stringer sacked with a text campaign is harsh and unnecessary in my opinion.

Please quote me where I said you did? I said "If you want to". That's not saying you do. Im not asking you to justify yourself either, I really couldn't care less. I don't disagree with you - Stringer can be a knob at times and I agree he isn't the best. But there is a lot worse - Just listen to Radio Nottingham. I think with the right guidance though, Stringer could be decent. He certainly has the enthusiasm.

As for not taking part in this thread if I don't agree? Whats the point in a forum if only people who agree with the OP can post? That's ridiculous. If I don't agree with what is happening or being said, I will say so. Discussing it on here is one thing, but people actively trying to get Stringer sacked with a text campaign is harsh and unnecessary in my opinion.

Then quit responding directly to my posts with a quote if you are responding in general terms. It infers you are replying directly to what I've posted.

I don't think the text campaign is to get him sacked. As far as I can see it's to address his behaviour and improve the quality of the shows he leads on. I think as license fee payers we are all within our rights to express our opinion, and to offer justified criticism of the product we are being offered, so if the outcome is that Stringer actually reels his neck in, starts actually doing an even average job within his role, then I'm sure everyone will give him credit for turning around what is currently a poor show. Demonstrating this immediately by cutting out the nonsense small talk and describing what's actually happening on the pitch, you might agree, would be a significant improvement.

The other thread seems to show a split opinion on whether Ian Stringer should have a future as a commentator at Radio Leicester, so I thought it would be interesting to get an idea of whether the demand for his dismissal is a genuine feeling or a vocal minority. There seem to be complaints about him on a weekly basis, and have been for at least the past two seasons.

I'm keeping Mum of my own opinion for this one to keep the poll balanced, though some of you probably know how I feel already.

If proponents or opponents of Stringer want to use the results of this poll for their arguments, go ahead. I'm taking a back seat for this one. Bear in mind that FoxesTalk isn't necessarily representative of the whole LCFC fanbase either way.

So vote away.

He irritates me, and other people seem to share this view. However, that doesn't mean I think he should leave or be sacked. That's not down to me or "us" as far as I am concerned, but for his bosses to decide. He may be performing in exactly the way they want him to.

Fortunately, my radio has an "OFF" button - so I just exercise my opinion by not listening.

A campaign to get him sacked is ridiculous, even though I personally don't enjoy his commentary or interviews.

No. He sometimes irritates me but he is passionate about the club he supports. All this constant moaning winds me up, he's better than the likes of Barber we were stuck with prior.

Yeah but the fact he's better than John Barber who was the epitome of abject and terrible isn't really cause to not moan about Stringer - the bloke's a self centred clown who clearly pines to work for a red top.

Pathetic that people think he answers to and should pander to the supporters, like we pay his wages? Leave the guy alone, I'm sure in his private life he's a likeable and interesting guy. He seems to be passionate about what he does and is trying to further his career and do well in life, more than can be said of some.

For his quality of match commentary, petulant behaviour, and tabloid interview style, yes.  People have been complaining about him for years now and the fact that he did nothing last year to address his flaws and keep listeners interested - despite the very real threat to his audience numbers from televised broadcasts - suggests he simply doesn't have the right skillset (or willingness to acquire it) for the role he occupies.

Of course the other members on here are right that there's nothing to stop me switching off and indeed the only times I've bothered tuning into RL since the start of last season were for a couple of the pre-season matches (which weren't covered elsewhere) and to see how bad the phone-in in question was.  I decided to bin RL long ago because he genuinely puts me off listening which is a shame because the taxpayer is funding him to do so.

Pathetic that people think he answers to and should pander to the supporters, like we pay his wages? Leave the guy alone, I'm sure in his private life he's a likeable and interesting guy. He seems to be passionate about what he does and is trying to further his career and do well in life, more than can be said of some.

If you pay UK taxes then you do.  Ditto your TV licence.

Yeah but the fact he's better than John Barber who was the epitome of abject and terrible isn't really cause to not moan about Stringer - the bloke's a self centred clown who clearly pines to work for a red top.

Do you know him? have you ever met him?

In his private life he abandoned his wife and kids for another woman. Top guy alright...

Source: Daily Mail. :D

Doesn't work for Leicester City Football Club, this should essentially be in the General Football forum. He's part of a media team who report on Leicester and the lad actually supports Leicester and is enthusiastic about Leicester City. That's a darn sight more than a lot of the BBC regional sports commentaries I can assure you.

You don't have to listen to him.

I wouldn't want to partake in a "Sack Stringer" race because that is not up to me to decide and I do believe trying to force him out this way would be a somewhat simplistic move.

However, I do think BBC Radio Leicester need to take a better look at their general and particular standards and practices, the public they're supposedly representing as well as the audience they're targeting.

One has to assume the BBC Radio Leicester main manager supports the antics and incidents involving Stringer (and Bourne for that matter), for ratings reasons. Why else would they put up with him for seven years now?

The main problem here is that they've handed over the microphone to a guy with no to little prior broadcasting experience and a rather skewed CV, who more often than desired wears a fan's hat instead of that of an impartial judge. And up to this day, I cannot tell whether he's a genuine fan or simply faking it, seeing that he's a Three Counties' lad.

He's easily excitable, sucks up to local celebrities (because deep inside, and that is my guess, he wants to be a part of that scene) and can neither handle a good interview nor do a proper commentary, because he strays aside on a regular basis or gets lost in unimportant claptrap during games - when it matters most.

My hope is that the BBC at one point autonomously decide upon an audit process and come to their own conclusion with regards to the quality and future of the program as well as the quality and qualifications of their commentator(s).

No. He sometimes irritates me but he is passionate about the club he supports. All this constant moaning winds me up, he's better than the likes of Barber we were stuck with prior.

True, but that's like saying that you don't want to treat yourself of crabs because syphilis is worse. You're still better off getting rid of the crabs.

It's irrelevant whether he's a nob or not, from a professional point of view, if the players won't speak to him isn't he essentially failing at his job? If I was the boss I would sack him. Not for personal reasons, but because he's fvcked up.

I don't really listen to him much so I'm not that bothered but he couldn't complain if he got the chop.

Archived