Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Col city fan

17th..and here's why.....

IMO,The forum has gone potty again. The two camps have re-formed, more strongly than ever, it would seem.

The 'Pearsonites' are accused of blind faith. The Pearson-out brigade are having a rebirth.

The two sides are squabbling, sometimes jokingly, sometimes a bit more 'passionately'.

Meltdown is upon us....

What is clear to me, is that very few posters provide much of an explanation as to why we are either doomed, or why we aren't. Many people seem to say one or the other, but rarely seem to say why? Why shouldn't we stay up, or conversely, why on earth do we think we will?

I'm going to try and explain why I think we will stay up. And give my reasons:

1. Nigel Pearson: Fundamentally, I think Nigel Pearson is a good bloke. Despite his recent outburst (that I don't condone), I think he has his feet on the ground. I think he learns..albeit slowly. He appears to have the full backing of the squad. Although we have, shockingly, only got 2 points from 30, you can see that the players are trying. I believe they are as frustrated as Nigel is. A lack of work-rate and effort isn't the problem. There doesn't seem to be glaring divisions in the camp.

2. The Premiership: The Prem is a funny old thing. You can think you are down and out (eg. Newcastle) and then, out of the blue, you can go on a run. Conversely, some teams can have blips. A team that you think is safe, can suddenly have a downturn, quite inexplicably, and find themselves in a relegation dogfight. A couple of win, or losses, changes the whole picture very quickly.

3. Youth: our team is still relatively young. What we know about young players is that they can blow hot and cold. They aren't usually consistent. It would not shock me one bit to see the likes of James, Mahrez and Liam Moore to suddenly turn in great performances. As bad as they can be, they can also be good. I'm convinced that there will be a game, before not too long, where it suddenly clicks. When we least expect it to.

4. Esteban Cambiasso: My views on him as a box-to-box midfielder are well aired. However, I believe, if utilised correctly, we have found our creative midfielder. His first touch is nice, his vision is great and his passing range still better. Played a bit further forward, and not expected to get up and down, I think he can do damage in the final third.

5. The board: If this board don't do anything knee-jerk, I think they have a good r/ship with the manager. If Pearson identifies key targets in January, I think he'll be allowed to sign them. And don't worry that no-one would want to come. If packaged correctly, I think they would. The Director of Football is another matter. I've never liked them. I think it's a role that isn't needed, personally.

So there you go..Five reasons why I believe Leicester City will survive this season. I think we'll be 17th. I said that at the start of the season and stick with it. Don't despair. There is an awful lot of football left to play and I would not be at all shocked if these boys go on to surprise us. I don't think it will be against Man City. Despite their injuries, there is a gulf in class. It might be, but survival won't be based on beating the likes of the title holders.

I still have hope...and that's why.. :xmaswink:

Some good points Col. However I think Cambiasso is better at breaking up play; he's also more mobile than I expected, he does get around a lot. As for the DoF, it's purely an administrative role, they could call him Head Of Football Admin, it's not like a DoF role we've seen/heard about in the past. He just puts the packages together for players in/out with a budget agreed by the owners. There's no 'football' interference. As for 'Pearsonites' (I'm not a fan of that word), I think there's a collective amongst our fans who show blind loyalty and a collective at the other end of the spectrum who moan about everything; I would suggest that both camps are fairly small and most 'reasonable' fans are in the middle - not pleased with recent results but not immediately calling for the manager's head.

IMO,The forum has gone potty again. The two camps have re-formed, more strongly than ever, it would seem.

The 'Pearsonites' are accused of blind faith. The Pearson-out brigade are having a rebirth.

The two sides are squabbling, sometimes jokingly, sometimes a bit more 'passionately'.

Meltdown is upon us....

What is clear to me, is that very few posters provide much of an explanation as to why we are either doomed, or why we aren't. Many people seem to say one or the other, but rarely seem to say why? Why shouldn't we stay up, or conversely, why on earth do we think we will?

1. Nigel Pearson: Fundamentally, I think Nigel Pearson is a good bloke. Despite his recent outburst (that I don't condone), I think he has his feet on the ground. I think he learns..albeit slowly. He appears to have the full backing of the squad. Although we have, shockingly, only got 2 points from 30, you can see that the players are trying. I believe they are as frustrated as Nigel is. A lack of work-rate and effort isn't the problem. There doesn't seem to be glaring divisions in the camp.

2. The Premiership: The Prem is a funny old thing. You can think you are down and out (eg. Newcastle) and then, out of the blue, you can go on a run. Conversely, some teams can have blips. A team that you think is safe, can suddenly have a downturn, quite inexplicably, and find themselves in a relegation dogfight. A couple of win, or losses, changes the whole picture very quickly.

3. Youth: our team is still relatively young. What we know about young players is that they can blow hot and cold. They aren't usually consistent. It would not shock me one bit to see the likes of James, Mahrez and Liam Moore to suddenly turn in great performances. As bad as they can be, they can also be good. I'm convinced that there will be a game, before not too long, where it suddenly clicks. When we least expect it to.

4. Esteban Cambiasso: My views on him as a box-to-box midfielder are well aired. However, I believe, if utilised correctly, we have found our creative midfielder. His first touch is nice, his vision is great and his passing range still better. Played a bit further forward, and not expected to get up and down, I think he can do damage in the final third.

5. The board: If this board don't do anything knee-jerk, I think they have a good r/ship with the manager. If Pearson identifies key targets in January, I think he'll be allowed to sign them. And don't worry that no-one would want to come. If packaged correctly, I think they would. The Director of Football is another matter. I've never liked them. I think it's a role that isn't needed, personally.

So there you go..Five reasons why I believe Leicester City will survive this season. I think we'll be 17th. I said that at the start of the season and stick with it. Don't despair. There is an awful lot of football left to play and I would not be at all shocked if these boys go on to surprise us. I don't think it will be against Man City. Despite their injuries, there is a gulf in class. It might be, but survival won't be based on beating the likes of the title holders.

solid post., with a sprinkle of Babylon thoughts,snd with grewks throwing a good curved ball, there is hope yet for this forum, and

Meltdown is upon us....

Cracking balanced post col, would be nice to end the debate in or out, and the team start getting the results to get into 17 th place come the end of the season.

We all still hope mate, that's all we have left.

Pearson will be sacked on the 17th

I'd be shocked if they sacked him just before Xmas and a massive run of games - 4 in 10 days. A new manager would have hardly any time on the training pitch. If they're going to sack him it'd be after January I would think now.

Agree on all fronts

Except Cambiasso in attacking role, I think he should be a dedicated CDM with no expectation to get forward therefore leaving him tiring & an inability to get back

Taking away his box-to-box role I think he's good at breaking up play and then makes good use of the ball in starting attacks off, however in his current role he's often not able to track back, therefore he is costing us.

If paired with other mids to alleviate his workload Cambiasso could be the revelation we need

The impact of new managers is so variable I hope the board take a long term view. Over 5 years Pearson has done enough for the club to back him in January... However as the club (Robinson?) failed to retain a key player in our 442 system combined with a failure to land about 10 forwards the management & scouting team put to them... I won't hold my breath that the transfer window being a successful one

1. Agreed. Problem is I think despite his learning (and he does, every time) it's going to prove fruitless. We can improve a lot and still go down. I honestly am beginning to think he'll get the season unless this run is still going on during February/March (which I actually refuse to rule out at the minute).

2. I don't think that's any different to any league really, though it's ridiculously tight this year. I reckon you could see three teams end up on 35 points and stay up this year.

3. Agree Col. We've got some very good young players at this club, I just think we've tried to play too many at once. I'll admit I was horribly wrong about our lack of experience - though I still think that's a consequence of poor mentality, we shouldn't be doing this badly regardless, they aren't bad footballers.

4. Cambiasso should not be used as a box to box player. Box to box players need energy. Cambiasso isn't unfit, but he's 34 years old. A 34 year old who has spent most of his career in a league that plays at a slower pace than the Premier League should not be playing as a box to box midfielder in a 4-4-2. For me, he needs to sit behind James/Drinkwater/King (two of them) in a 4-3-3/4-5-1. He can play those defence splitting passes from deep. I'm not liking this shout of playing him more advanced as he'll be a more marked man. Playing behind two others will give him a bit more space on the ball. He's capable of dictating the game. That wasn't his game when he was younger, but was Gerrard's? He's clearly got the skill to do it. It's a no-brainer for me. Play to his strengths and you'll see how good he is, if you don't already.

5. Too hard to say. Depends how true this FFP story is. I do think they'll bring a couple in but it's not about how much they spend, it's who they spend it on.

Meltdown is upon us....

Meltdown is upon us....

Meltdown is upon us....

All optimists should be banned from this site. Ok Col?  :xmaslaugh:

Meltdown is upon us....

You could have summed it up by saying 'were shit' and that's why!

I think we will still up and have every faith in Pearson and the players. We just need to get a win to get our confidence again.

However my concern is similar to when we got relegated to League One... We are dropping vital points against teams around us. This needs to change against Hull else we have no hope of staying up.

Picking up 2 points out of a possible 18 against Aston Villa, QPR, Sunderland, WBA, Burnley, Palace is simply not good enough, and if it carries on will only mean one thing.

I know it doesn't matter who you pick up points against, however we are giving these teams points and increasing the gap between us and them.

Meltdown is upon us....

Great stuff

1 & 5 - Solid spirit and calming influence essential indeed though some call it arrogance  and the if the owners are consistent as they have been they will back Nige as they have and no Thai knee jerking will happen 

2 - Fine margins a cliche now but never so true - Let's all do The Pardew - been saying that for weeks now

3 - Excellent point and I have sem glimmers of hope in the past 2 games from Mahrez especially and Schlupp though Moore seems to have lost his radar and his performance at Villa explains why he has been on the bench lately - with the old pros Wes n Was starting to let us down this is very worrying but correctable

4 - Now this is the interesting one for me ... Cambiasso is filling the box to box role at the mo and has produced some superb attacking passes but he cant to both roles - this is where for me we have to invest in Jan - we need him at the back as CDM and a prem class playmaker needs to be brought in.

Either that or Drinky needs to get out of the bad form his is obvioulsy in or get possessed by the spirit of George Best

- James just hasn't got the creative skills vision and final touch, 

- Kingy should be given another go but we know he has his limitations probably a better finisher than a playmaker and like James is good - at getting the ball out of our half but then doesnt distribute well.

- Hammond probably fits the CDM role even more than these 2 (be great to get him back)

No mention of the front men but I believe we have the talent up front in Vardy, Nuge Ulloa (Wood for me jury still out)

As you say it needs to click and we have seen this season that at the back and up top they can do it, that clicking needs to happen soon

I just dont know if we have the Midfield playmaking creative talent in the squad - clicking or not

Meltdown is upon us....

Good post Col.

On Cambi - totally agree on him going back to what is clearly he greatest strength, what he built his career on and what we need him to do which is screen the back four and link up play from the back to the front via the middle. I think DD and King or James compliment him the best with what we've got. If he refuses to sit (big if) then Hammond or bring in a specialist sitter.

I'm kind of hoping we do this vs man city at the weekend and also with Konch (and maybe RDL) out we also stop hoofing down the channels aimlessly and get back to last seasons on the ground high tempo stuff.

On you other points...

1. Spot on

2. Hopefully us!

3. Yup - hopefully the confidence of youth comes through. Clearly - as shown by the slump and runs over the last two seasons the confidence is really key. Either we are unbeatable or can't buy a win. Not many draws (anyone got the breakdown?

5. So glad we have a sensible board.

Except Cambiasso in attacking role, I think he should be a dedicated CDM with no expectation to get forward therefore leaving him tiring & an inability to get back

I was thinking about where was best for him, my only worry about him being at CDM is that he's somewhat wasted. For me he's looked like the only CM capable of scoring and unlocking the oppositions defence. But like you say on the flip side he'll probably tire easier in that role.

Picking up 2 points out of a possible 18 against Aston Villa, QPR, Sunderland, WBA, Burnley, Palace is simply not good enough, and if it carries on will only mean one thing.

I know it doesn't matter who you pick up points against, however we are giving these teams points and increasing the gap between us and them.

On the contrary, beating Man U and Stoke rather than wba and qpr could be the difference between survival and relegation.

It's ALL about the results against the teams at your level.

We can survive, and I think the main reason will be our run in, it doesn't matter if we are bottom now, it is where we are at the end of the season and if we hit form for our last 10 games then we will be fine. The next few games will be tough, Man City, West Ham and Spurs, anything points wise will be a bonus, but there is plenty we can learn from those games.

I think it is time for Drinkwater to return, we know he is class and we know he wasn't showing it earlier in the season, I also think it is time to bench Vardy and use him as an impact sub, we need to learn to keep the ball and not just constantly look for the ball over the top to Vardy or the long ball to Ulloa. They are not high percentage plays, we are just giving the ball away as Vardy isn't clinical enough in those situations, and he spends the whole game running around and is knackered by the time he gets in a goal scoring position.

Next few games we need to keep it tight, keep the ball, starve them of possession and frustrate them, if we allow Man City to have 65% possession like we did Villa then we will get turned over. I think we need to look at the formation again, 442 just isn't giving us enough protection at the back, the diamond gives us nothing going forwards, a lot of teams play 4231 for a reason and I think we have the players that fit that formation.

Archived