Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

On 15/04/2020 at 08:03, KrefelderFox666 said:

Too many regions/companies rely on tourism. I doubt it will last into next year. I think there will be much improvement in the next 6 months, even if it means resorts opening up to certain countries first.

Fingers crossed you are right. The world will have to get back working at some point this Summer.

If flights do go ahead they’ll have to be some stringent regulations, wearing of PPEs for passengers and crew.

Im trying not to think about the doom scenario of an extended lockdown through the whole of 2020.

On 18/04/2020 at 10:37, Vlad the Fox said:

Has anyone booked for next year? It might be worth looking, I got a right bargain for the family In this country, first week of the school holidays, saved about £800/£900 on this years price. Comes with a corona virus guarantee as well.

We were due to go away 31st March to 7th April (Fuerteventura) for my wife's 30th birthday. Obviously that got canned. Was a package with Jet2 so got full refund. However, we were looking to book end of this year but it's not realistic so we have rebooked for end of March next year. By then I would expect things to be normal enough to make use of an all inclusive hotel. Similar price and obviously ATOL protected.

On 15/04/2020 at 09:32, nnickn said:

people should never take credits or vouchers from travel firms and airlines.

When this is done they will just hike prices

Should never take vouchers anyway. They are not ATOL or ABTA covered.

If anyone does take the tui offer of vouchers for the fact they are offering extra 20% or whatever it is. Always, always use them to book something straight away that way you are covered again once you book as you get your protection certificates

Loads of people who had asked for vouchers with thomas cook for wedding presents etc to go towards a honeymoon, ended up out of pocket.

I think Martin lewis has done soemthing on his website or twitter to this end as well.

Edited by Bayfox
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Bayfox said:

Should never take vouchers anyway. They are not ATOL or ABTA covered.

If anyone does take the tui offer of vouchers for the fact they are offering extra 20% or whatever it is. Always, always use them to book something straight away that way you are covered again once you book as you get your protection certificates

Loads of people who had asked for vouchers with thomas cook for wedding presents etc to go towards a honeymoon, ended up out of pocket.

I think Martin lewis has done soemthing on his website or twitter to this end as well.

Good tip - didn't know that

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Good tip - didn't know that

Worthless piece of paper. Unless you have booked a holiday with them. They are not covered, they don't have to honour them terms of refunds.

You are better using them to book something and then if that cancelled again you are at least covered and repeat the cycle.

Edited by Bayfox

We’re due to go away for 8 days from Tuesday 19th May 😫 to Cambrils in Spain.

still not had it cancelled, as I think the airline (Ryanair) will wait as long as possible. Particularly as restrictions have eased slightly in Spain.

we have an Air BnB as accommodation though,  so it’s better for us that it’s not a hotel.

22 minutes ago, turkish14 said:

We’re due to go away for 8 days from Tuesday 19th May 😫 to Cambrils in Spain.

still not had it cancelled, as I think the airline (Ryanair) will wait as long as possible. Particularly as restrictions have eased slightly in Spain.

we have an Air BnB as accommodation though,  so it’s better for us that it’s not a hotel.

Good luck waiting for the money when they do cancel.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-52350262

BBC is it really the last Cruise ship in the World are they now more rare than the white Rhino is the MSC Magnifica as rare as Lonesome George was, or is it just as un remarkable, a story, as somebody buying the "last Big Mac". Will the be no more Cruises is the world really down to 1 cruise liner left in the world or are you just going for clickbait.

4 hours ago, Wrighty22 said:

We are due to go to a Haven Park in Devon in July - still slightly optimistic that this will go ahead.

Doesn't sound like people can go on any holidays until at least closer to Christmas. Good luck but I am not expecting to leave my area until at least September/October. Not even sure if October will be possible, have something booked end of October.

2 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Doesn't sound like people can go on any holidays until at least closer to Christmas. Good luck but I am not expecting to leave my area until at least September/October. Not even sure if October will be possible, have something booked end of October.

Just have to wait and see what is and isn’t allowed 🤷🏻‍♂️

2 hours ago, turkish14 said:

Air BnB are pretty quick, Ryanair on the other hand...

I’ve seen on Twitter that they aren’t giving refunds until this is over but they will give credits for other flights. This is despite offering refunds a month ago and saying it would take 10 days.

5 hours ago, Webbo said:

According to the email we had they are. 

I'd be interested to see what that said. But when Thomas cook went bust, any vouchers were worthless and the only way to claim any money back was to apply to the liquidator as a creditor. A worthless exercise as you would have been so far down the pile you would never see a penny.

I'd still advise booking something for next year, that suits you of you are in the situation.

8 hours ago, Wrighty22 said:

Just have to wait and see what is and isn’t allowed 🤷🏻‍♂️

Exactly, only time will tell. Currently, it looks bleak for 2020 but there is always hope that something changes suddenly that could change that outlook. The only certainty is uncertainty.

8 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

I’ve seen on Twitter that they aren’t giving refunds until this is over but they will give credits for other flights. This is despite offering refunds a month ago and saying it would take 10 days.

It seems as if the government is going to back a change to the regulations meaning airlines, travel companies etc can offer a credit against cancellations rather than being compelled to give a refund. 

I think that the government will underwrite it after 12 months or 24 months or something if the company has gone bust

for all you hopefulls....

German Oktoberfest, from Sept-Oct.  Has Now been cancelled..

:beer:  More beer for the Good guys...river & lakes,fields  will recover..no Foreign drunkards, pssing and puking in them...:clap:

But we do have the Englischer garten...to wet our whistles..

• Sad 1

Latest information from ABTA about travel companies issuing finanically protected credit notes rather than refunds...

Mark Tanzer, the CEO of ABTA has written this open letter to explain why some travel firms are unable/unwilling to issue cash refunds for cancelled holidays, instead offering credit notes:-

A Letter from ABTA’s Chief Executive about holidays that have been affected by the coronavirus crisis

The coronavirus crisis is creating extraordinary difficulties for everyone, in ways that none of us could ever have predicted.  International travel has been brought to a complete standstill by government measures to contain the pandemic and this has led to hundreds of thousands of holidays being affected.   

Here, I want to write to customers of ABTA Members specifically to explain the current situation with refunds for holidays that aren’t going ahead as planned as a result of the pandemic, and to ask for your support.

Many customers have rebooked their holidays for a future date, but I completely understand why those who have asked for a refund may feel frustrated and concerned at the amount of time it is taking. In normal circumstances the rules to provide a refund for a package holiday within 14 days work well. But these are not normal circumstances and the 14 day refund rule is impossible for the majority of companies to stick to.

Many travel agents and tour operators are unable to provide immediate cash refunds because they have not yet received money back from airlines and hotels around the world that may have temporarily closed.

It’s in nobody’s interests for normally healthy travel businesses to go under. As well as the loss of thousands of jobs, the Government-backed ATOL financial protection scheme would be overwhelmed by a large-scale failure of businesses and it would take many more months for customers to get a refund.

The European Commission, which is responsible for the relevant regulations, has advised Member states to find “flexible solutions” to demands for refunds on cancelled holidays during the crisis.  Many other European countries with similar challenges have already taken action to support businesses while protecting customer rights. 

Despite our pleas for support, the UK Government has so far failed to act.  For this reason, to provide some order to the chaos brought about by the current crisis, ABTA has developed temporary guidelines for dealing with refunds for its Members and their customers, where Members are financially unable to provide an immediate cash refund. These are based on a system of financially-protected Refund Credit Notes where the customer’s fundamental right to a refund for a package holiday is preserved, as set out by law.

This type of system is similar to those introduced in many other countries and is the framework under which ABTA will guide its Members and hold them to account. 

Notwithstanding the issuing of Refund Credit Notes, ABTA’s expectation is that Members should refund customers as soon as they are able to.

This crisis will pass, and I’m sure like me you want to ensure that when it does we have a healthy and competitive travel industry able to provide you with the choice of holidays that you deserve.

Thank you,

Mark Tanzer

https://www.abta.com/sites/default/files/2020-04/Mark%20Tanzer%20open%20letter%20200420.pdf

There are also some answers to frequently raised and asked questions.
https://www.abta.com/news/coronavirus-outbreak

• Thanks 2