Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

12 hours ago, Strokes said:

I’m camping in the back garden this weekend with the kids, they were supposed to be doing a camp with the cubs but obviously it’s not happening and they are gutted.

So I’ve ordered a tent and I’m going to get up before they do and set it up to surprise them.

Your neighbour sent us your First attempts....

18 hours ago, Strokes said:

I’m camping in the back garden this weekend with the kids, they were supposed to be doing a camp with the cubs but obviously it’s not happening and they are gutted.

So I’ve ordered a tent and I’m going to get up before they do and set it up to surprise them.

Good stuff. I never went camping as a kid but I love it now.

Unfortunately I'm not sure the experience would be quite the same with my tent just outside the kitchen window in my 8 square metre concrete yard lol

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

Good stuff. I never went camping as a kid but I love it now.

Unfortunately I'm not sure the experience would be quite the same with my tent just outside the kitchen window in my 8 square metre concrete yard lol

Fk me 8 Sq. metres.luxury,pure luxury....Beats my window-box..!!!

Has anyone had a bad experience trying to cancel a holiday?  I've experienced some questionable practises.  A word of caution to anyone else who may have to do this.

I regularly take a UK holiday to Cornwall with some of my family and booked a place last year.  I paid a deposit, the balance of which is due in a week's time.  The company's Terms and Conditions state that if a holiday is cancelled within 63 days or less of the start date then the person booking is liable for some or all of the holiday cost.

Bearing that in mind I tried to cancel my holiday a week ago.  I first phoned the company only to receive a recorded message that due to high call volume they were no longer accepting phone calls and that I should visit their website.  I did this, used the 'contact us' option to access a form which gave a number of subjects from a drop down menu.  I selected the 'I want to cancel my holiday' option and got a message stating that cancellations could not be made in this way and that I would have to log into my account and use the 'Amend Booking' function to cancel.

By now I was getting annoyed but followed the advice and logged into my account.  Upon doing so I received a message that I would have to re-validate my account and that a link had been sent to my email address.  I accessed this, hit the link and then tried to get back into my account, only my password now didn't work.  I raged about this for a while before deciding to get round the problem by changing my password through the 'forgot password' function.  That got me into my account, there was a form I could fill in to put a cancellation through which I completed, including a section where I had to give reasons for the cancellation; however when I tried to send it I received a message that I had been timed out.  I went through the process again, same result.  I checked and found that the form was being timed out around 15 seconds after opening - so I cut the cancellation reason description,  opened a new form, typed as fast as I could and pasted the cancellation description section and hit Send and it went.

I then received and automated email stating that my Cancellation Request (it wasn't a request so far as I was concerned) had been received but due to high contact volume the company may not be able to respond to me until after the dates of my planned holiday.

All this felt like a concerted effort to stop me being able to cancel my holiday and take the balance payment.  So as backup I instructed my bank not to make any further payment to the company.  I won't be using them again in a hurry.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Crinklyfox said:

Has anyone had a bad experience trying to cancel a holiday?  I've experienced some questionable practises.  A word of caution to anyone else who may have to do this.

I regularly take a UK holiday to Cornwall with some of my family and booked a place last year.  I paid a deposit, the balance of which is due in a week's time.  The company's Terms and Conditions state that if a holiday is cancelled within 63 days or less of the start date then the person booking is liable for some or all of the holiday cost.

Bearing that in mind I tried to cancel my holiday a week ago.  I first phoned the company only to receive a recorded message that due to high call volume they were no longer accepting phone calls and that I should visit their website.  I did this, used the 'contact us' option to access a form which gave a number of subjects from a drop down menu.  I selected the 'I want to cancel my holiday' option and got a message stating that cancellations could not be made in this way and that I would have to log into my account and use the 'Amend Booking' function to cancel.

By now I was getting annoyed but followed the advice and logged into my account.  Upon doing so I received a message that I would have to re-validate my account and that a link had been sent to my email address.  I accessed this, hit the link and then tried to get back into my account, only my password now didn't work.  I raged about this for a while before deciding to get round the problem by changing my password through the 'forgot password' function.  That got me into my account, there was a form I could fill in to put a cancellation through which I completed, including a section where I had to give reasons for the cancellation; however when I tried to send it I received a message that I had been timed out.  I went through the process again, same result.  I checked and found that the form was being timed out around 15 seconds after opening - so I cut the cancellation reason description,  opened a new form, typed as fast as I could and pasted the cancellation description section and hit Send and it went.

I then received and automated email stating that my Cancellation Request (it wasn't a request so far as I was concerned) had been received but due to high contact volume the company may not be able to respond to me until after the dates of my planned holiday.

All this felt like a concerted effort to stop me being able to cancel my holiday and take the balance payment.  So as backup I instructed my bank not to make any further payment to the company.  I won't be using them again in a hurry.

That is dreadful!

Virgin are taking 90 DAYS to refund me for a flight, when I said that this is awful practice given people need their money now more than ever, the response was a shrugged 'yeh whatever pal' type. BA paid up for a cancelled flight almost instantly. Got a few European weekends booked with the budget airlines in June, so let's see how that works, if the world is still shut in June.

In terms of hotels, everything i had booked was free cancellation 24 hours prior to departure and pay on arrival, so no problem cancelling them.

5 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

That is dreadful!

Virgin are taking 90 DAYS to refund me for a flight, when I said that this is awful practice given people need their money now more than ever, the response was a shrugged 'yeh whatever pal' type. BA paid up for a cancelled flight almost instantly. Got a few European weekends booked with the budget airlines in June, so let's see how that works, if the world is still shut in June.

In terms of hotels, everything i had booked was free cancellation 24 hours prior to departure and pay on arrival, so no problem cancelling them.

I had an email from British Airways this morning cancelling my flights to Dubrovnik in May (which was fully expected).

But I'm reading that there are being a bit evasive with regards to refunds. A voucher is their preferred option, and if you don't want that you have to call them but it seems very difficult to get through.

I cancelled my Airbnb booking and that refund was processed immediately - hope to see it in the bank soon!

41 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

I had an email from British Airways this morning cancelling my flights to Dubrovnik in May (which was fully expected).

But I'm reading that there are being a bit evasive with regards to refunds. A voucher is their preferred option, and if you don't want that you have to call them but it seems very difficult to get through.

I cancelled my Airbnb booking and that refund was processed immediately - hope to see it in the bank soon!

I'm still waiting for a Ryan Air refund of a few hundred quid from 3 weeks ago. 

They e-mailed saying there will be a delay in refunding it and no point ringing them up to discuss and no point replying to their e-mail.

Not holding my breath and wouldn't be surprised if I never see the money again tbh

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

Oh yeh they are making it as difficult as possible, expectedly. For both Virgin and BA I was not offered the choice of a refund in the initial cancellation email. I called both and was on hold for over an hour before I gave up. I then found a live text number, so texted that, and they both eventually processed my refund.

Virgin offered me a free change up until 30/04/2021, free upgrade and £25 to spend at the airport if i kept my booking, rather than requested a refund. Can't trust they'll still be standing in a few months though.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Izzy said:

They e-mailed saying there will be a delay in refunding it and no point ringing them up to discuss and no point replying to their e-mail.

Not holding my breath and wouldn't be surprised if I never see the money again tbh

Yeah, I have some Ryanair flights to Oslo booked in May. So far, they have not been cancelled, but I expect they will be in due course. Expect a battle then to get my money back off them!

• Like 1

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/coronavirus-cancelled-holiday-refund-delay-industry-kane-pirie-a9452151.html

looks like a lot of the airlines are closing ranks and have asked for a change in the regulations compelling them to issue refunds. They want a "refund holiday" whilst the pandemic is ongoing. I can understand it - if they refund everyone they probably will go bust, which is not really of benefit to anyone, including passengers.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/coronavirus-cancelled-holiday-refund-delay-industry-kane-pirie-a9452151.html

looks like a lot of the airlines are closing ranks and have asked for a change in the regulations compelling them to issue refunds. They want a "refund holiday" whilst the pandemic is ongoing. I can understand it - if they refund everyone they probably will go bust, which is not really of benefit to anyone, including passengers.

That’s a very mature way of looking at things mate and I agree.

I’ve pretty much written off the refund I’m due from RyanAir but looking at the bigger picture, I really need them to still be operating after all this is over.

I’ve relied on and used Ryan Air quite a lot during the last few years and at times got flights for ridiculously low prices. If I end up losing a few hundred quid this time then it kind of evens itself up over time I guess.

28 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I’ve pretty much written off the refund I’m due from RyanAir but looking at the bigger picture, I really need them to still be operating after all this is over.

I’ve relied on and used Ryan Air quite a lot during the last few years and at times got flights for ridiculously low prices. If I end up losing a few hundred quid this time then it kind of evens itself up over time I guess.

If I have to take a voucher then so be it. My BA flights were about £1500 and Ryanair about £400 so it will be a good start towards a holiday next year!

It is a bit frustrating that BA was boasting only a few weeks ago that it has £9bn cash reserves if needed and could sit out the pandemic!

Edited by stripeyfox

Oddly enough the first time in 16 years i have no summer holiday booked, happy because last October and this January i had 2 holidays cancelled, so im glad it didn’t come in 3!!  Maybe get to skeggy for 4 nights end of the summer,(if possible) i also have a log cabin booked for new year eve 4 nights, in cheddar, it might well be my nx holiday, im glad its booked, because the price will rocket 

On 08/04/2020 at 15:00, grobyfox1990 said:

Oh yeh they are making it as difficult as possible, expectedly. For both Virgin and BA I was not offered the choice of a refund in the initial cancellation email. I called both and was on hold for over an hour before I gave up. I then found a live text number, so texted that, and they both eventually processed my refund.

Virgin offered me a free change up until 30/04/2021, free upgrade and £25 to spend at the airport if i kept my booking, rather than requested a refund. Can't trust they'll still be standing in a few months though.

On 09/04/2020 at 10:38, Izzy said:

Well on Saturday afternoon whilst sitting in the garden I decided to try and call British Airways again. Eventually, after being booted off their phone system several times, I did get through to a very nice but stressed out BA call handler. She seemed a bit upset and said she'd had people shouting at her all day etc etc. Of course, being the nice, friendly and reasonable person I am I sympathised with her and assured her that she would not get any grief from me even if she wasn't able to give me a refund. With that, she immediately processed it and the money was back in the bank (or more specifically, on the credit card) this morning.

• Like 1

On 08/04/2020 at 14:58, Izzy said:

Our RyanAir flight still hasn’t been cancelled yet. July 13th, I’m expecting it too and have not paid the accommodation we had reserved. I’m assuming I’m best to wait for them to cancel the flight and then I’d be entitled to a full refund?

2 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Our RyanAir flight still hasn’t been cancelled yet. July 13th, I’m expecting it too and have not paid the accommodation we had reserved. I’m assuming I’m best to wait for them to cancel the flight and then I’d be entitled to a full refund?

yes I think so mate. My Oslo flights on 7th May are still "live" at the moment. I presume at some point they will get cancelled. 

Once cancelled, you are entitled to a refund, but they may try to get you to take a voucher instead, and it seems that ABTA are lobbying the government to change the regulations, in order to protect the travel industry which presumably can't afford to refund everyone.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

yes I think so mate. My Oslo flights on 7th May are still "live" at the moment. I presume at some point they will get cancelled. 

Once cancelled, you are entitled to a refund, but they may try to get you to take a voucher instead, and it seems that ABTA are lobbying the government to change the regulations, in order to protect the travel industry which presumably can't afford to refund everyone.

Fair enough mate, I’m happy to have a voucher as long as it’s got a long expiration date. We all want the industry to survive.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Yeah, I think you're only entitled to a refund with RyanAir once they cancel the flight. Once they do, you'll get an e-mail to confirm and to say you'll get a refund. It'll probably be months after that until you see the money though as it's been 5 weeks for me so far and still no refund. 

51 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Their pilots have been furloughed for 2 months at the minute.

I’m still waiting for my money back for my trip to Bergamo.

• Thanks 1