Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

West Ham away.. Pre match

West Ham probably the only side thus far who looked better than us on the opening weekend, we'll have to go in strong and attacking. Defence was shaky as well so for me back to a 3-5-2 shape would suit us well with Was (if fit) back in the team.

I'd go for 3-5-2 in this one. Huth and Morgan both look more comfortable in a 3 and West Ham will be a biggest test than Sunderland especially with the crowd being jeered up for Bilic's first away and after yesterdays result! Apart from that more or less than same team (except Benny or Was for De Laet

It's a game that will be a much better indicator as to where we really sit in the premier pecking order.  I'd expect a 4-4-2 formation and possibility that Vardy may be made unavailable because of a recent indiscretion. I'd settle for a blank sheet at our end whether we get any goals or not a point will be good and 3points a hell of a lot better...I'll not predict a score as I got none right for the 9 matches played so far this week :banghead:

The challenge will be to get Schlupp, Albrighton and Mahrez into the same side, which we need to do.

Assuming we are going to continue with Okazaki and Vardy up front, that is best achieved in a 3-5-2. The lop sided 4-4-2 will probably not work against sides better than Sunderland so the right back 3 is essential. 

What has happened to Wasilewski, anyone know?

The challenge will be to get Schlupp, Albrighton and Mahrez into the same side, which we need to do.

Assuming we are going to continue with Okazaki and Vardy up front, that is best achieved in a 3-5-2. The lop sided 4-4-2 will probably not work against sides better than Sunderland so the right back 3 is essential.

How is that a challenge? Have you had your head in the sand for nine months? Are you an ostrich?

Schmeichel

De Laet - Huth - Wes

Albrighton ---------------- Schlupp

Drinkwater - Kanté

Mahrez

Vardy - Okazaki

Same - bar the midfield 2. I'd have King + 1 of the other 2. 

I know people say don't change a winning side but we're gonna need to be flexible and I think WH would make easy work of our 442.

Same - bar the midfield 2. I'd have King + 1 of the other 2.

I know people say don't change a winning side but we're gonna need to be flexible and I think WH would make easy work of our 442.

As much as I like King, I'm having a hard time justifying dropping Drinkwater after what was probably his best match for us and I'd like to see Kanté start to see his defensive contributions and actually have some pace in the middle.

Mahrez proved very shrewd on the left wing against Sunderland. Perhaps start Mahrez and bring Schlupp on towards the end to run at tired defenders?

How is that a challenge? Have you had your head in the sand for nine months? Are you an ostrich?

It was on saturday.

The lop sided back 4 was poor, we could have conceded an opening goal early on, a better side than Sunderland (West Ham?) would not have let us get away with that.

The challenge is for us to get the back 3 right and maintain the solidity we had at the back end of last season, then Albrighton, Schlupp and Mahrez fit seamlessly. 

The challenge is for the management team to make that work, they have brought in new players and are going to want to see what they can do.

I just had a sneaky read of the hammers forums talking about the game. Most were quite complimentary of their top of the table opposition on Saturday although some just think Sunderland were dreadful and we will be easy pickings.

The weakness a few of them mentioned about themselves was that they are worried about their RB position and the fact we will play wider. Run at them Riyad!!

Same formation, same team - exactly the same changes to personnel during games, exactly the same work ethic from Okazaki; can't ask for anything more than that.

Have a strong feeling about this, I'm not one to be overly optimistic but damn, I can smell Ham blood.

Mahrez proved very shrewd on the left wing against Sunderland. Perhaps start Mahrez and bring Schlupp on towards the end to run at tired defenders?

Last season we saw him predominantly on his supposedly preferred right wing position and because he naturally likes to cut inside, also deployed very effectively in the space/hole behind the forwards. I was keen to see him down the left where he plays for Algeria and work the flanks with Albrighton. Following last Saturday's magnificent performance, I think he's really shown what a versatile player that he is.

Agree with many of the posts on here that for this one, it may be prudent to go three at the back with the reintroduction of Wasyl, Albrighton and Jeff as W/B's and start Riyad in the hole behind Vardy and Okazaki.  Can't see Claudio changing the 4 - 4 -2 though (or more precisely the 4 - 4 - 1 - 1) for now. 

Thinking back to Anelka, I'm expecting Vardy to receive a suspension pending investigation, and at worst something like a five match ban. If so, imo Ulloa is the logical choice against the hammers.

They may be expecting 352, CR may stick with 442 at start as worked well early doors against Sunderland.

Nick a couple of goals then change shape if need be.

In the real world, West Ham will come out all guns blazing, first match at home. 0-0 or any lead will be immense.

0-0 or any lead at half time will be immense!

I just had a sneaky read of the hammers forums talking about the game. Most were quite complimentary of their top of the table opposition on Saturday although some just think Sunderland were dreadful and we will be easy pickings.

The weakness a few of them mentioned about themselves was that they are worried about their RB position and the fact we will play wider. Run at them Riyad!!

Definitely sounds like a game where we should (if Ranieri switches to 3-5-2) have Mahrez playing in the hole with a freedom to drift out on the wings. Albrighton's delivery could again be a conduit but West Ham will have a lot more physicality and defensive nous than Sunderland, so Ulloa could be a good option whether starting or on the bench.

Archived