Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Porto (home) Post Match Thread 1 - 0

Sensational result. Remember this was against a Porto side who have all the CL experience in the world and we are novices. They werent any good for 75 mins but that is down to the way we played and also in a weird way how we intimidated them with what we can do. It seems they wanted to kick Vardy and had fear about Mahrez with 3 and once 4 players closing him down when he had the ball.

We had loads of stand out performers but for me Amartey was immense. He did everything. Sliding tackles, winning headers in the middle of the park, block tackles, decisive headers in our own peno box, simple effective passing and some lovely more key and precision passes. His energy and pace was just mad and he didnt look like he was toring. Just immense! Special mentions to Kasper who communicated well and calmed things down. Solid games from everyone else including Hernandez but I still got the vibe that Huth and Morgan are crapping themselves this season! They looked a bit nervy but did plenty of good tonight too. I was also really happy with the way the Slimani Vardy link up was going and saw good signs with Amartey and DD as they would back each other up.

CR got his tactics right today but my only criticism was that Musa and Gray didnt come on with 10-15 mins to go when Mahrez and especially Vardy looked like they were buggered. That may be over critical but we need to run ourselves into the ground and be brave in freshening things up even if it means taking big players off with 15 mins to go. He did it with Slimani and maybe should have done it with the aforementioned players. Anyway, a massive result and we are smiling again!! 

3 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Although Porto had a lot of the ball towards the end I never really felt they'd score. Great result and we're in a great position to the win the group. 

Hernadez had his best game, amartey seems suited to pace of European football and Vardy/Slimani were a handful. 

Vardy/Slim look like mates already give a few more games. They will rip teams always looking for each other.

Still amazes me seeing people like Casillas, penny dropped at that moment. Really enjoyed the game, until the last ten minutes I thought it was quite comfortable. They were so narrow it was quite easy to defend against but when they played with some width in the second half they took over the game but we held on.

There are so few chances at this level, it's so good to have someone like Slimani up front. Don't want to criticise our other strikes, but we need to be this clinical every match which they won't offer.

i was expecting the refs to be "different" at this level, but this guy took the biscuit. Yes we need to expect soft fouls more often, but the inconsistency was just mind blowing. You might as well toss a coin to see if it was a free kick or card. Also hope they find the sniper at the game. He clearly took out their right back in the first half when Slimani went near him, that was appalling.

Incredible result and good to see us dig in!

Had to miss the last 15 minutes!

Almost glad I did, I just watched the extended highlights, and we looked nervy! The deflection off Albrighton onto the post :o

Glad we held on! Massive 3 points. Top of Group G, top of Group G, we're Leicester City, we're top of Group G!

Hernandez, Amartey, Slimani all amazing.

Surprised it ended with 22 players on the pitch. HT before their corner was ridiculous, I'd be furious if I was a Porto fan at that.

Last 10 minutes was a bit heart in mouth but overall I thought we managed the game well, the back four defended brilliantly so credit to them.

As for MOTM, it was easily a toss up between Amartey or Drinkwater, they were absolute quality tonight.

Ref was a tool for both sides tbh, but no point banging on about him.

We just beat Porto in the Champions League :D

Fantastic atmosphere! Well done to all involved as it was spine tingling stuff. Loved the Fox tifo from the Kop too, respect!

As for the game, the ref totally ruined it! For large periods I thought we were in complete control but the ref broke our momentum down with some baffling decisions. On another day we'd have got a 2nd and that would be that. 

Fair play to Porto after the three subs they were far more threatening as they started risking more going forwards. However, other than Kasper's flap which led to them hitting the cross bar the only other convincing chance I remember than having was in the opening minutes of the game with the chip. Of course I bricked myself with every corner because of our recent games, but actually we dealt with them well and the performance was akin to some of our 1-0 grinders from last year, which is a good thing!

My final thought though is we need to get better at playing 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 however you see that particular formation, especially away from home. For large periods neither Slimani nor Vardy get the ball and it puts us on the back foot. I'm not sure Claudio will ever start with that sort of lineup given how many forwards we have, but I think Amartey / Drinky / Mendy all at once might be interesting in games where we will happily take a draw. 

Great game, difficult to watch at times (mainly cause of the ref!) but what a joyous occasion! We were not at our best but we grinded out that result! 

On a side note, Did anyone listen to the Ranieri post match interview with Stringer, he tried to goad Ranieri into speaking about the ref a couple of times (quite slimy) but Ranieri didn't bite!... Some of our previous managers would have taken the bait and probably called him an ostrich.  

Proud night, thrilled to witness a piece of history, delighted to see Slimani win the game for us with what he clearly does best and to witness Amartey responding to criticism with a performance that challenged for Man of the Match.

Pleased too that our recently maligned defence kept a clean sheet despite considerable and probably unnecessary pressure in the last 10 minutes. Happy to acknowledge another assist from Mahrez and almost reeling to see us sitting top of our Champions League group with two wins from two games with four goals and none conceded.

There are sentences there I never dreamed I'd write in over 60 years of following City and if there's more to come bring it on.

Credit too for the fans who generated a pretty good atmosphere although our basically negative tactics of the second half meant the game was never going to be remembered as a thriller.

Again, i thought we gave Porto more credit than they deserved and the more we sat back as the final whistle approached, the more we risked giving victory away - and for no reason that I could see.

Not for the first time the pressure wasn't forced on us - we invited it - but I well realise that my belief that we're better than that won't matter to our followers because we won - but it certainly would have mattered if one of Porto's late chances had gone in.

Because at no time did Porto genuinely threaten to dominate. They had no-one showing great pace, skill or the aerial capability to disturb us and yet we willingly conceded ground to them towards the end and we'll pay for it before long. 

Otherwise 7/10 for a job well done and further progress in our quest to qualify for the final stages.    .                

Great result.  Loved it.

Does anyone else think Vardy looks a yard slower than last season?  I thought he was having a slow start to the season but again tonight on a few occasions where he would have taken it past his man last season, he couldn't seem to do it...? 

Archived