Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

They've all got it backwards.

There's no question they upped their game, they certainly looked happier, more engaged. But the press and all the clueless neutrals crying that the players played for Shakespeare having forced Ranieri out are spectacularly missing the point.

The players weren't transformed for Shakespeare, Shakespeare transformed the players. Not with rousing inspiration, not with sensational man management but by taking the shackles off and letting them return to a tactical approach that won them the league - the high press.

It's been incredibly obvious this season that the direction from Ranieri has been to sit deeper. With the loss of Ngolo and our defenders another year older, he lost faith in our ability to push on. All season we've sat and invited pressure to our eighteen yard box, that's not the players being lazy, it's a very clear direction from the manager.

Peformances haven't been good enough and the players should take a long hard look at themselves, I do agree. But last night it was evident that if anything, they've displayed in recent weeks as much loyalty to the manager and his vision as anything else. They stuck to a system that was failing, to Claudio's vision.

I love the man, I'm still sore he's gone, but I've been rallied by the dissenting voices of outsiders I know I shouldn't care about. Because the extent to which they completely missed the point of yesterday was a cruel and undeserved insult to Shakespeare, to our players and to our title winning team.

Even the great analyser Gary Neville (get in the bin anyone that wants him here) failed to spot that all of a sudden we'd been allowed the freedom to go and start defending not from the edge of our area but the edge of theirs. What a difference.

Has anyone seen Albrighton, Ndidi, Drinkwater, Fuchs, Simpson, even Vardy and Okazaki press that high this season at all? That's not about willingness it's about direction and Craig Shakespeare needs to take a bow.

It's only sad that Claudio didn't see it himself. I'll miss the man but I've missed attacking football more.

Obviously agree with the point but I would argue that the high press didn't win us the league. The high press put us in a position to win the league.

After Christmas we stopped any notion of a high press and replaced it with a deep-lying block of players in front of which Albrighton, Kante, Drinkwater and Okazaki pressed. Everybody else pretty much stayed in their positions and waited for the ball to come to them.

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

There's no question they upped their game, they certainly looked happier, more engaged. But the press and all the clueless neutrals crying that the players played for Shakespeare having forced Ranieri out are spectacularly missing the point.

The players weren't transformed for Shakespeare, Shakespeare transformed the players. Not with rousing inspiration, not with sensational man management but by taking the shackles off and letting them return to a tactical approach that won them the league - the high press.

It's been incredibly obvious this season that the direction from Ranieri has been to sit deeper. With the loss of Ngolo and our defenders another year older, he lost faith in our ability to push on. All season we've sat and invited pressure to our eighteen yard box, that's not the players being lazy, it's a very clear direction from the manager.

Peformances haven't been good enough and the players should take a long hard look at themselves, I do agree. But last night it was evident that if anything, they've displayed in recent weeks as much loyalty to the manager and his vision as anything else. They stuck to a system that was failing, to Claudio's vision.

I love the man, I'm still sore he's gone, but I've been rallied by the dissenting voices of outsiders I know I shouldn't care about. Because the extent to which they completely missed the point of yesterday was a cruel and undeserved insult to Shakespeare, to our players and to our title winning team.

Even the great analyser Gary Neville (get in the bin anyone that wants him here) failed to spot that all of a sudden we'd been allowed the freedom to go and start defending not from the edge of our area but the edge of theirs. What a difference.

Has anyone seen Albrighton, Ndidi, Drinkwater, Fuchs, Simpson, even Vardy and Okazaki press that high this season at all? That's not about willingness it's about direction and Craig Shakespeare needs to take a bow.

It's only sad that Claudio didn't see it himself. I'll miss the man but I've missed attacking football more.

Sums it up for me..

We made forward movement, pressing with intent the priority, not the defensive holding approach.

Some pundits and fans, say Lpool were poor, maybe but we prevented them playing quick slick ball,

their pace was nullified, Lalanas 1-2s were nipped out before he could get into a rythm.

Ndidi was immense.

19 hours ago, ttfn said:

Obviously agree with the point but I would argue that the high press didn't win us the league. The high press put us in a position to win the league.

After Christmas we stopped any notion of a high press and replaced it with a deep-lying block of players in front of which Albrighton, Kante, Drinkwater and Okazaki pressed. Everybody else pretty much stayed in their positions and waited for the ball to come to them.

yep.. pressing high is red herring. it is not practicable with our fat defenders & it did not win us matches last year.

How can you press high consistently with <30% posssession?

8 minutes ago, ttfn said:

This change was key when teams changed there tactics against us and started to sit back more / allow more possession later on in that season, but it's not a tactic to start a campaign with.

A season tends to come in 2 to 3 parts, start of the season teams will be more open, given the shape of the season isn't quite set in stone and getting wins on the board early helps.

You then have the tough middle period with lots of games, where sometimes the focus shifts from going to out and out win games to making sure you're not losing them.

You then have the final furlong of the season, where teams tend to react based on their need of points. 

The most important point is forget tactics and who the manager is, was and maybe next They play for the Club LCFC, us the supporters and obviously huge salaries They should be running through brick walls every game not when it suits them. 

Listens to yourselves shackles off, high line deep line there grown men FFS

14 minutes ago, ttfn said:

Essentially this, the high press went around January when Vardy had a few weeks out for surgery to fix an injury he'd been playing with. After that we were defensively compact and just sat back, invited teams to come out then intercepted them through (primarily) kante and Okazaki before they could reach our box.

I'd also argue that the players did play for Shakespeare - that wasn't the only thing and the pundits spouting it were overegging it for the story (surprised they didn't label him snakespeare), but if nothing else they respect him and want him kept on, and with a new manager his job would potentially be at risk.

28 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I remember in his post-game interview after Coventry, Ndidi said he was told to sit back, but when he saw the space, instinct took over, and he had to attack it, despite his instructions not to go forward.

3 minutes ago, Brakey said:

The most important point is forget tactics and who the manager is, was and maybe next They play for the Club LCFC, us the supporters and obviously huge salaries They should be running through brick walls every game not when it suits them. 

No, you can't have that - players that play to their own intentions with no structure are useless.

Managers and tactics have an effect on a game, that much is clear - and different games may require different approaches. Players have a responsibility to play to the tactics set by the man in charge, they can't just go and do what they want. 

4 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

I remember in his post-game interview after Coventry, Ndidi said he was told to sit back, but when he saw the space, instinct took over, and he had to attack it, despite his instructions not to go forward.

When did we play Coventry?

4 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

:blink:

You have a better memory than me..

Nah, they didnt like change or being told what to do by CR and stopped putting the effort in. Once he "left" they upped their game.

As long as CS continues to play the way they want, they will make the effort.

I got dogs abuse in the pub last night. Last seasons Leicester where the fvck have they been all season type comments. But the one i did feel sorry for as he filled his pint with tears. Why the fvck did they chose us to be great again I fvcking hate Leicester.

Now then lads mojo replaced last night was a waste of time if you don't rip hull a new one.

Then on to CL glory.

I think your right in one sense the press last night was constant right up until the 90th minute, something we haven't seen ONCE this season.

Your right again in the fact Claudio has had us sitting deep all season and its a big factor we are the position we are.

Give Shakey it till the end of the season, deserves a shot after last night and the players where fantastic!

No, don't agree. I mean I agree Claudio's tactics were wrong this season but you must feel a tinge embarrassment in the dishonesty to claim that these players were trying for Ranieri, or that they had an excuse for not trying.

There's no doubt they were pressing higher but they were also sprinting harder and actually tackling when players tried to go past them. Vardy was actually making runs and both he and Okazaki were trying to win headers. Certain players looked fitter, clearly ran more, ran quicker. Even the stats tell you that. Well you don't get that much fitter in 4 days and you don't become that much better a player in 4 days either, even in the tactics are different. These fvckers weren't even doing the very basics last week.

Nobody is having a go at Shakespeare for picking Morgan and Huth or Vardy, or Fuchs ahead of Chilwell, or Albrighton ahead of Gray - or sticking with 4-4-2 which Ranieri was blasted for. All of a sudden these seemingly hopeless, pathetic excuses for footballers who couldn't make one decent tackle or pass and couldn't run looked miraculously competent and even impressive. Bullshit do individual performances change that dramatically due to a change in tactics. I'm talking about the basics.

The press (well, not just the press, everyone in football except those that are desperate to worship these players for what they did last season) are absolutely right to lambast these players and I think it's just totally and intentionally blind to suggest they weren't trying harder last night.

I don't know why people can't just accept that this is a very good team that has been letting the club down this season with a lack of effort. Forget the manager for a second, what about us? I'm annoyed I've had to put up with their lazy attitude all season when they're capable of playing like that when they give a shit.

1 hour ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Do they even still have a team?

1 hour ago, Brakey said:

Couldnt agree more.  So many fickle fans on here blinded by a great performance.  However tactics aside, there's no hiding from the fact the players haven't been putting the effort in for months.  Some have been anonymous game to game. Is this really acceptable to the paying fans who've travelled the country watching them get battered and beaten even by the likes of lowly Millwall?

10 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

No, don't agree. I mean I agree Claudio's tactics were wrong this season but you must feel a tinge embarrassment in the dishonesty to claim that these players were trying for Ranieri, or that they had an excuse for not trying.

There's no doubt they were pressing higher but they were also sprinting harder and actually tackling when players tried to go past them. Vardy was actually making runs and both he and Okazaki were trying to win headers. Certain players looked fitter, clearly ran more, ran quicker. Even the stats tell you that. Well you don't get that much fitter in 4 days and you don't become that much better a player in 4 days either, even in the tactics are different. These fvckers weren't even doing the very basics last week.

Nobody is having a go at Shakespeare for picking Morgan and Huth or Vardy, or Fuchs ahead of Chilwell, or Albrighton ahead of Gray - or sticking with 4-4-2 which Ranieri was blasted for. All of a sudden these seemingly hopeless, pathetic excuses for footballers who couldn't make one decent tackle or pass and couldn't run looked miraculously competent and even impressive. Bullshit do individual performances change that dramatically due to a change in tactics. I'm talking about the basics.

The press (well, not just the press, everyone in football except those that are desperate to worship these players for what they did last season) are absolutely right to lambast these players and I think it's just totally and intentionally blind to suggest they weren't trying harder last night.

I don't know why people can't just accept that this is a very good team that has been letting the club down this season with a lack of effort. Forget the manager for a second, what about us? I'm annoyed I've had to put up with their lazy attitude all season when they're capable of playing like that when they give a shit.

Fair to say they have not played well or tried as hard most of the season.

I'm sure the reason they have been demotivated will come out in time.

25 players have featured this season so something fairly significant.

History now hopefully.

People's whole outlook can change when the shackles are removed I've witnessed it at work myself when there's been a change in management where people were once scared and afraid of making mistakes were giving the freedom to 'go with it'. This plus the siege mentality created by the adverse and potentially libellous reporting will have also helped along with a change in approach to the game.

Obviously there was something wrong before but you can't say it was intended or planned by the players it could have been but it also could have been down to the management of the team,  we have no proof.of either. 

In reality it was probably a mix of both but there's little doubt that the more influence CR had on the team and thr club set up the worse we became.

22 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

the only let down this season was Ranieri's stubbornness, not only as it cost us in results moral and performances but we have lost the likes of Walshy aswell.If you were asked to fulfil a role you knew wasn't working and the game was lost before it started, your performance moral, drive and enthusiasm would disappear also both individually and as a team.Last night was not a coincidence of them playing now Ranieri as gone,it is a coincidence of another person allowing them to do what they are good at.

It's not as simple as they were allowed to high press, but conversely it's also not about them "not trying".

We came into the season not motivated, I don't think that was entirely down to the manager (although I think he and the club got caught cold and didn't see it coming or do anything to ward it off). That was down to the hangover of the year before, as I fan I barely felt up for it or interested and I'd wager the players probably felt something similar. Now it's easy to moan and say they get paid lots of money to do that, but they are human not robots, being paid a lot of money doesn't make you averse to human emotions.

Throw into that some poor team choices early on (King and Amartey as the starting midfielders) it led to a few thumpings, which then led to a total lack of confidence. Then the crucial bit, the manger failed to change anything. He didn't know what to do to change things and everyone could see that. It was a scatter gun approach to formations and team selections and I think that's when he lost the players. Christ he lost me during that period and that's before you know about him getting rid of backroom teams, alienating staff, players feeling lied to. There is no getting around it he made a pigs ear of it.

Sometimes you need a fresh start. I actually think the bigger influence last night was how much the players and fans have been stung by the critisism of people who don't know the club or what's gone on. I was bang up for it and for the first time in years I can barely speak, you could see before kick off how motivated they were... and I would say it looked a lot like anger. Throw that in with the manager allowing the high press and throwing off the shackles and you get what we saw, an absolute full on battle from the players.

Archived