Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
boots60

Annoying words or phrases that have crept into football media vocabulary

1 hour ago, iamafox said:

'If you don't shoot, you don't score'. No fvcking shit, you don't even have to follow football to understand that.

Not true, look at Palace against Watford in Saturday lol 

2 hours ago, Donut said:

Another thing.

When a big team plays a small team in a cup tie.

The way commentators turn a blind eye to twattish play from the smaller team. Like player commits a bad foul, its made light of, "proper tackle" or some phrase along the lines of suggesting its a legitamate way of getting in the big teams face.

Then the commentators being overly critical of everything the bigger team does in a blatantly pre meditated fashion.

Sutton v Arsenal. The Sutton players were wiping out Arsenal players with some shocking challenges but the commentators were making excuses for them.

Might be a controversial one here, but i don't like the phrase "6 Pointer". Its not like you get 6 points for a win, just because you're playing someone close to you in the table...

And yes, i'm aware its called a 6 pointer because it not only applies to the 3 points your team gets for winning, but also the 3 points your opponent fails to get. Still a stupid phrase in my book!

• Like 1

This sort of stuff really annoys me, probably a lot more than it should. It's basically an obsession people seem to have these days, where they over complicate everything, maybe in an attempt to justify the vast amounts of money in the game these days!

Can't think of anything off the top of my head, but it annoys the hell out of me!

Probably my most hated expression is this.

A player has just put an opposition player in hospital with a ridiculous tackle. 6 studs into his knee.

The manager then, without fail, will come out and say "He's a lovely lad, he's not that sort of player". Literally 10 minutes after we've all seen that he absolutely is "That sort of player".

**** off.

20 minutes ago, RatbyBlue said:

Early doors

Back in the day when the pubs used to close in the afternoon, usually between 3 & 6 o clock, there was a selected few boozers with  a license to open early, hence the saying "early doors" Get in early. 

First used to excess by Ron Atkinson in the 1980's.  He himself was no stranger to "early doors"