Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2015/16 Stuff it in here.

Even the top teams with their ridiculous squads often struggle with the demands of the champions League.

We're building a tidy squad but even the Europa league would, I believe, require at least 4 more quality signings probably above those we already have.

If we managed to qualify for Europe then I'm sure our owners would enable us to ramp up the squad accordingly during the summer. What's the problem?

I'd rather win the Europa League and get relegated than finish 12th dreaming of reaching 7th and qualifying for you guessed it, the Europa league.

Imagine being in the Championship and Champions League in the same season.

I'd rather win the Europa League and get relegated than finish 12th dreaming of reaching 7th and qualifying for you guessed it, the Europa league.

We could then spend 10/15 years more floundering in the Championship/League one talking about our history like we still do about the MON side. Premier League consolidation is the number one priority every season.

We could then spend 10/15 years more floundering in the Championship/League one talking about our history like we still do about the MON side. Premier League consolidation is the number one priority every season.

No it's not that's boring, at some point we have to look to doing something more than sticking around year after year, we have to challenge and extend ourselves, not that prioritising Europe should in any way make us flirt with relegation.

Although it will never happen the Europa League should just be a knock out competition from the start, scrap the group stages.

Be more interest shown by English clubs.

The Europa league should just be scrapped extend the CL to include more teams but it makes no sense to have an inferior European competition. If you win the champions league you are the best team in Europe if you win the Europa league you are the best team from a selection of teams that aren't good enough for the champions league or have already been knocked out of the CL. Give it a purpose other than another route to CL. The cup winners cup at least you could claim to be the best cup side in Europe.

Lets not get carried away, we've got a long way to go to even stay up this season let alone be "properly established" and competing for Europe.

The Europa league should just be scrapped extend the CL to include more teams but it makes no sense to have an inferior European competition. If you win the champions league you are the best team in Europe if you win the Europa league you are the best team from a selection of teams that aren't good enough for the champions league or have already been knocked out of the CL. Give it a purpose other than another route to CL. The cup winners cup at least you could claim to be the best cup side in Europe.

I'd personally go the other way, I'd reduce the champions league and stop teams then dropping into the Europa league once they have failed in the CL, this cheapens the competition. This would put more top teams into the Europa league raising its stock.

Just as a matter of interest what are the stats regarding teams entering Europa league and getting relegated? Particularly teams who have only been promoted recently, two or three seasons. Is it a genuine concern or or a myth?

I'd personally go the other way, I'd reduce the champions league and stop teams then dropping into the Europa league once they have failed in the CL, this cheapens the competition. This would put more top teams into the Europa league raising its stock.

Just as a matter of interest what are the stats regarding teams entering Europa league and getting relegated? Particularly teams who have only been promoted recently, two or three seasons. Is it a genuine concern or or a myth?

There was an article on the BBC on how the Europa league affects teams, I think on average they drop 2-3 places.

Found it:

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/31470797

There was an article on the BBC on how the Europa league affects teams, I think on average they drop 2-3 places.

Found it:http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/31470797

Thanks. Interesting article, so relegation is an irrational fear not backed up by any stats and generally their isn't much change. Though that small drop in league position could be financially costly due to the clout of the premier league millions.

For me it's all about the glory, at some point you have to gamble and go for it otherwise you become a stagnant and once that happens decline is the next natural step. We need to be continually looking to progress, always looking to move to the next level with a focused strategy on how to get there, and thankfully I feel that that is exactly what we are striving for/ doing now.

lol you're all banging on like we're already in Europe. Nothing like a good start to the season to go to peoples heads.

lol no they're not! The discussion started from talking about teams not taking it seriously and the went onto how we'd hope we wouldn't take the piss out of the Europa league if we ever qualified. Nobody is talking about us actually qualifying this year.

The chances are that eventually we will be relegated just like most teams other than a select 6/7. Probably when there's a managerial change that doesn't work or a change in owners, it could 1, 3, 5 or 10 years but it seems somewhat inevitable with the current financial set up so if we do ever qualify you might as well go for it otherwise it could be another generation or two before you get the next chance.

Besides isn't that what 25 man squads are for, just make sure they're all capable of holding down a first team place.

Thanks. Interesting article, so relegation is an irrational fear not backed up by any stats and generally their isn't much change. Though that small drop in league position could be financially costly due to the clout of the premier league millions.

For me it's all about the glory, at some point you have to gamble and go for it otherwise you become a stagnant and once that happens decline is the next natural step. We need to be continually looking to progress, always looking to move to the next level with a focused strategy on how to get there, and thankfully I feel that that is exactly what we are striving for/ doing now.

I think the problem is differentiating between the possible and the actual.

If we were in the europa league this season and we suffered a drop of a few places or a few points on last season we would be very close to relegation.

In a few years when we qualify by finishing 6th with a much more settled team then we would be in a much stronger position to maintain our top flight status and take europe seriously, at the moment we aren't established and we see our top flight status as being very much at risk and our first priority at the moment is 40 surviving.

If De Bruyne does join Mancester City I would guess he will replace Navas on the right hand side.

Hart

Zapaletta Kompany Mangala Kolorov    

Toure  Fernandinio

De Bruyne Silva Sterling

Augero

That is one hell of a team! They still have Ottamendi to come in as well at center back.

If De Bruyne does join Mancester City I would guess he will replace Navas on the right hand side.

Hart

Zapaletta Kompany Mangala Kolorov

Toure Fernandinio

De Bruyne Silva Sterling

Augero

That is one hell of a team! They still have Ottamendi to come in as well at center back.

Quite a side, strongest in the league and looking like a side that could compete against the best in europe

Never heard most of Newcastle's starting XI. lol

Mbemba

Haidara

Janmaat

Anita

Wijnaldum

Mitrovic

Surprised Giroud isn't starting for Arsenal.

Mbemba, Mitrovic and Wijnaldum were all signed in the summer. Mbema from Belgium, Mitrovic is Serbian and Wijnaldum played at the last World Cup for the Netherlands.

Anita has been there a few years in the fringes of the squad. Haidara signed last summer but missed large parts of last season with injury. And Janmaat has been there a year, full Dutch international and was sent of at the King Power last season.

Archived