Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2015/16 Stuff it in here.

Afobe had a very good half season after we bought him, was the top scorer in the country for that season (getting unanimous praise in the media), and is STILL on fire.

Strikers always go for big fees. Afobe has done more than enough to warrant £10m+ with the silly fees being thrown around at the minute.

And regards Mahrez in the World Cup, he made one appearance for a minor African nation. Nothing that would enhance his value massively.

My point is, you'll quite happily big up your own player's value after three good games, yet a player who has been banging them in regularly for the last 8 months is suddenly overpriced.

Afobe has done this in the Championship, that's the springing point.

He's also only done it for 8 months at Wolves, Mahrez has showcased his talents considerably longer and at a higher level.

That said, with Jordan Rhodes going for £8m a couple of years back from a League One side to Blackburn, I can fully understand Wolves valuing Afobe at £10m+!

I'm not trying to justify the fee based solely on the quality of the player.

Circumstances are key in these situations, as pointed out above in the Austin and Pedro situations.

I'll stop now as it's derailing the thread. Suffice to say if either Afobe or Mahrez were to be sold this window, they'd both go for well more than £10m.

After all he's only had three decent games in the Prem this season.

That'll be 100% then...and scored in them all.

Contrary to your perception, there was significant reason for generating interest in the player last season. In fact you can find another thread here entitled 'Mahrez how much will he sell for and to whom?' In particular, his performance against Arsenal away, if nothing else, placed him firmly in the shop window and Wenger heaped praise on the player in the post game press conference. Added to which, following some fine performances in the African Cup of Nations, the inevitable rumour mill has been fully in motion since. This season granted, he's sent prozone into meltdown, but be assured, it's recruitment, not simply performance analysis, where he has become a name on so many lips. 

If anything, The Bear has proven how ridiculous the valuations fans put on their players, and it's true. I wouldn't want us, at the minute, selling Mahrez for under £35m, I wouldn't want us selling Vardy for under £20m, and I wouldn't want us selling Schlupp for under £20m, simply based on the value they have on the team and their future prospects.

I've spent most of the last couple of pages thinking WTF at Bear but he's right like Captain says. Everybody has a price, but Wolves are in the financial and strong contractual position where they can say no to £10m and wait to see if Norwich really want to push the boat out. they can afford it as they haven't spent many millions yet. If they say no he won't leave in July for free/tribunal and he's a huge asset to their team, so they can sit it out and wait for Norwich to come in with £15m, but you'd like to think they could, if they wanted to spend less, get better value abroad.

I'm not trying to justify the fee based solely on the quality of the player.

Circumstances are key in these situations, as pointed out above in the Austin and Pedro situations.

I'll stop now as it's derailing the thread. Suffice to say if either Afobe or Mahrez were to be sold this window, they'd both go for well more than £10m.

Fair enough. I don't think their respective valuations are close to eachother simply going by the two clubs' different circumstances.

But I'm all for Wolves clinging on to one of their most important players and not letting themselves get bullied.

Afobe had a very good half season after we bought him, was the top scorer in the country for that season (getting unanimous praise in the media), and is STILL on fire.

Strikers always go for big fees. Afobe has done more than enough to warrant £10m+ with the silly fees being thrown around at the minute.

And regards Mahrez in the World Cup, he made one appearance for a minor African nation. Nothing that would enhance his value massively.

My point is, you'll quite happily big up your own player's value after three good games, yet a player who has been banging them in regularly for the last 8 months is suddenly overpriced.

Footballers are supposed to entertain us. I think in any worthwhile discussion of a players worth on the market, comedy value should also be factored in...

post-22112-0-04486700-1440665201_thumb.j

Kevin Nolan leaves West Ham...bit out of the blue considering he started last week.

Doubt he's out of contract, so wonder what's gone on there...

Subbed at half time. Not the player he once was, not gonna get much game time at WHam, so mutual parting of ways.

He'll be snapped up by a Championship club no doubt.

Subbed at half time. Not the player he once was, not gonna get much game time at WHam, so mutual parting of ways.

He'll be snapped up by a Championship club no doubt.

Thought he looked a shadow of himself tail end of last season at our place. Might be worth a pop for newly promoted sides, and very handy for a Champo club. Hope we don't have any interest though.

It's disheartening for fans of teams in bottom half of the prem or in the champs to develop a player only to see a money club come in and cherry pick. Teams need to hold onto their stars to keep fans happy and to achieve better positions. Chelsea are able to throw 45 at Stones & Spurs can turn the head of Berahino but we certainly don't like the idea of Schlupp, Dodoo or Mahrez being taken from us.  

It's disheartening for fans of teams in bottom half of the prem or in the champs to develop a player only to see a money club come in and cherry pick. Teams need to hold onto their stars to keep fans happy and to achieve better positions. Chelsea are able to throw 45 at Stones & Spurs can turn the head of Berahino but we certainly don't like the idea of Schlupp, Dodoo or Mahrez being taken from us.

In Everton's case didn't they pay about £3m to Barnsley for Stones? They weren't concerned about turning his head then. Take the £40m, invest wisely and move on.

It's disheartening for fans of teams in bottom half of the prem or in the champs to develop a player only to see a money club come in and cherry pick. Teams need to hold onto their stars to keep fans happy and to achieve better positions. Chelsea are able to throw 45 at Stones & Spurs can turn the head of Berahino but we certainly don't like the idea of Schlupp, Dodoo or Mahrez being taken from us.  

On that basis we shouldn't go after Demarai Gray.

This occurs at every level and always has done it cannot be avoided and is not in itself a problem.  The big problem is clubs like Chelsea stockpiling players that they end up loaning out and often never play for the first team.

Clubs like Leicester and especially clubs in the Championship are just as responsible by taking these players on loan and thus enabling clubs like Chelsea to swoop up young players far beyond their need and use the Championship and lower PL teams as a testing/development ground.

Soton knocked out of the Europa league before the group stages!

wonder how many signed for them to enjoy European Thursday's ?

Incidentally, knockys standard liege were knocked out on away goals this evening though AK opened the scoring

they only got the last goal because some nutter chucked a flare on the pitch lol

Southampton cant keep going to the well and finding players every season.

Theyre probably secretly delighted about being put out of the europa league but losing Wanyama will be another big blow.

Archived