Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo

Expand the stadium? The poll

1,304 members have voted

1. 1. Expand the stadium?

• Yes, asap!
    • Maybe when we're established top flight. (Another 2 years+ survival)
    • Not fussed.
    • No.

Wasn't it planned so that the kop and family stands could be extended upwards to add another tier ?

But makes you think really what the owners have in mind whenTop expressed to the crowd when parading the trophy he actually said " I think we need a bigger stadium!"

Do they have plans in mind to move us yet again as they could easily sell off the Kp as prime land and move us to the outskirts nearer the motorway network and improve parking along the way,who knows what plans they have in motion ???

would you be up for a move to a bigger more modern Stadium or do you think that could be a detriment to our great atmosphere?

4 minutes ago, justfoxes said:

Wasn't it planned so that the kop and family stands could be extended upwards to add another tier ?

But makes you think really what the owners have in mind whenTop expressed to the crowd when parading the trophy he actually said " I think we need a bigger stadium!"

Do they have plans in mind to move us yet again as they could easily sell off the Kp as prime land and move us to the outskirts nearer the motorway network and improve parking along the way,who knows what plans they have in motion ???

would you be up for a move to a bigger more modern Stadium or do you think that could be a detriment to our great atmosphere?

...no way! 

It might improve the parking but it would need to be a massive area or multi-story as more people would have to get there by car add to that the already congested motorway junctions, it would be a nightmare.

26 minutes ago, justfoxes said:

Would kill 90% of my enjoyment of a match day. 

Bayfox has hit the nail on the head in terms of a rail link as well, but also the whole culture of people's day need to change if the transport situation is going to improve. Currently everyone ploughs into the City centre from midday, tries to park as close as possible to the ground, watches the game and goes home at 5pm. If instead we put in a proper fanzone with decent beer and food near the ground which is open before AND AFTER the game, people go there the drink before, slowing the influx of people into the area over a longer period. Same after the match as well, if you could mill around the ground for an hour or two after the game getting decent food and drink, the tide of people and therefore cars heading out of the City stems as well. 

I've said if before and I'll say it again, on site parking is the WORST POSSIBLE ANSWER to the question. 

Should've just made big renovations at Filbert Street over time, instead of demolishing it for shoddy student accommodation and leaving the area in front of it an eyesore tip. The new ground has made things slightly awkward in terms of expansion possibilities.

18 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Would kill 90% of my enjoyment of a match day. 

Bayfox has hit the nail on the head in terms of a rail link as well, but also the whole culture of people's day need to change if the transport situation is going to improve. Currently everyone ploughs into the City centre from midday, tries to park as close as possible to the ground, watches the game and goes home at 5pm. If instead we put in a proper fanzone with decent beer and food near the ground which is open before AND AFTER the game, people go there the drink before, slowing the influx of people into the area over a longer period. Same after the match as well, if you could mill around the ground for an hour or two after the game getting decent food and drink, the tide of people and therefore cars heading out of the City stems as well. 

I've said if before and I'll say it again, on site parking is the WORST POSSIBLE ANSWER to the question. 

If we move out to the motorway, they wouldn't need to expand, I reckon a few would give up going, can't stand grounds in the middle of nowhere with no pubs, nothing to do around them, we get the train in, and have a mini pub crawl on the way to games. All part of the day, meeting up with different groups, I don't mind the walk to the ground, but I'm sure a few would like the option of a direct train to and from the ground. I know 2 of my group would, lazy ****ers leave early to get a taxi lol 

the parking around the ground is laughable, shocked so many still do it, especially with so many residents schemes now. However i think i'm right in saying we have 2 Park and Ride sites on the edges of the city that don't actually operate on a Saturday!!! The club should be asking the council to operate those sites on a matchday. Surely both would benefit from the income.

I think if we expanded a lot of this would get brought up, as I believe we never met the original planning after the ground was built and used admin as the excuse.

1 hour ago, justfoxes said:

Worst. Idea. Ever.

9 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Anybody seriously touting a ground move wants their head checking. As others have said, I'd likely stop going.

I'm not saying we should move as I rather like the KP and hope it is expanded,but it was more of a what would people think  if the owners decided to move us to a new ground elsewhere in the city ?

I'd say the increase in TV revenue makes an expansion ever more unlikley.

The fact is that the additional 8,000 or so seats is a big risk for a relatively small return. You're proabbly only looking at an extra £4m per season tops, which although is a nice amount of money, weighed against the £ 150m from TV etc you can see how it is not a big slice of revenue.

Point being that the actual gate receipts are becoming a smaller and smaller deal to PL clubs, compared to TV money.

Whether it is 30,000 or 40,000, it is not going to significantly affect the club's revenue.

2 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

I'd say the increase in TV revenue makes an expansion ever more unlikley.

The fact is that the additional 8,000 or so seats is a big risk for a relatively small return. You're proabbly only looking at an extra £4m per season tops, which although is a nice amount of money, weighed against the £ 150m from TV etc you can see how it is not a big slice of revenue.

Point being that the actual gate receipts are becoming a smaller and smaller deal to PL clubs, compared to TV money.

Whether it is 30,000 or 40,000, it is not going to significantly affect the club's revenue.

I would argue the opposite.

The more money we get from TV, etc means the costs of a new stadium or extension makes it more affordable and less of a financial commitment.

Being in the PL is a temporary thing for about two thirds of the clubs so I'd rather the club improved our infrastructure than spend more on transfer fees and wages only to end up no better off in the Championship a few years down the line.

I'd much rather we invest in a bigger ground and invest in our core support. A bigger ground and attendance makes you look a bigger club to future players and sponsors plus it also strengthens our base if we do get relegated. At some point we'll probably be relegated and no better off than Derby, Forest, etc and all the hundreds of millions we earned more than them in that time will have counted for nothing as it got squandered.

You could make the analogy the same as a footballer earning £20k a week for 10 years. Either he can live the life and spend the money he earns living a rock star lifestyle and find himself skint at 40 or be sensible and save enough for the rest of his life so he can live comfortably when all this comes to an end.

27 minutes ago, justfoxes said:

I'm not saying we should move as I rather like the KP and hope it is expanded,but it was more of a what would people think  if the owners decided to move us to a new ground elsewhere in the city ?

It would be an idea which would most likely kill the club in the long term, as well as many businesses currently relying on matchday trade in the short term.

For me, there are absolutely no benefits to it. Anyone who's ever visited an out-of-town ground (in this country) will be able to testify just what awful things they are.

1 hour ago, justfoxes said:

coventry-empty.jpg

No thanks...!

Watching Stoke play Chelsea and WBA play Arsenal there were a host of empty seats. We sell out every game whether it's Bournemouth or Man Utd. We will sell 33k season tickets and have 38-40k attendances every week if we had a bigger ground. We are 9th in the PL attendance table. 

Guest CityFan 06
5 minutes ago, Koke said:

Watching Stoke play Chelsea and WBA play Arsenal there were a host of empty seats. We sell out every game whether it's Bournemouth or Man Utd. We will sell 33k season tickets and have 38-40k attendances every week if we had a bigger ground. We are 9th in the PL attendance table. 

Once again on point, Koke.

Also 6th most sold out stadium in Europe according to the photo I saw the other day. 

I'm not against expansion per se if it's done sensibly with adequate consideration given to good ticket pricing (and, hopefully, safe standing), but the fact we couldn't sell out a game where tickets were a tenner each earlier this year ought to be factored in too. Perhaps it's not as great a necessity as people make out.

5 hours ago, sylofox said:

lol a top ten finish and Europe easier said than done lollol but we pissed the league by ten points.

I think we have done that.

I'm not taking the pi55 out of either of you. Just great reading the first few pages some of the comments with hind sight are funny.

I said that in 2015 you bin liner 

5 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

I'm not against expansion per se if it's done sensibly with adequate consideration given to good ticket pricing (and, hopefully, safe standing), but the fact we couldn't sell out a game where tickets were a tenner each earlier this year ought to be factored in too. Perhaps it's not as great a necessity as people make out.

We've not actually had just a boring, steady season since we've been promoted. That's why Stoke and West Brom's attendance are lower than what they were, it's just not exciting whereas we've constantly had something mental happening so obviously demand is higher so I'm not convinced it's sustainable demand but I echo your sentiments about doing it sensibly.

On 6/23/2015 at 07:46, Brown Nose said:

Every hoop you make people jump through deters some people from attending.  That's just the way it is.  To you, they may not be committed fans, but they are people ready and willing to pay money to attend matches if we make it easy for them.  

If we make people join membership schemes in previous seasons in order to have a chance of a season ticket in the future, it will deter some people.  If we make people join membership schemes to have any chance of a ticket where they want one, it will deter people.  If we have very limited general sales weeks in advance of some games, it will deter some people.  Frankly, there will be people that wake up on game day and want to go to a match.  They can't at the moment.

The occasional and irregular fan is someone that is financially struggling, or works erratically, or lives some distance from Leicester, or simply only visits here on occasion.  They are also people with children that decide that today is a good day to bring little Johnny along, but they can't.  Or someone with a friend that supports the opposition or just wants to see what all this fuss is about live football or is just going out of random curiosity. Or a million other reasons.

Within all these groups, there are potential future fans that could evolve into committed, every match home and away types.  But even the randoms and occasional fans are good for the club.  It makes no business or footballing sense to choose to exclude anyone when we have the option to offer more seats.     

I thought I'd bring this one up again, best post on the whole thread.

Not sure why a fan wouldn't want to expand...

Not unless you're happy with being a middle of the road yoyo sized club and nothing to identify us when put alongside the likes of Southampton, Middlesbrough, Derby and Reading.

Lets use this success to push on, why stick with average?

3 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Not sure why a fan wouldn't want to expand...

Not unless you're happy with being a middle of the road yoyo sized club and nothing to identify us when put alongside the likes of Southampton, Middlesbrough, Derby and Reading.

Lets use this success to push on, why stick with average?

Especially that we have the potential to get 40-50,000 gates.

We're the 8th biggest city in England and 40 miles away from the nearest PL club and over 20 miles away from any club of note. It's not obscenely ambitious in us having a bigger stadium like it was Darlington building a 25,000 seater stadium with an 80,000 population and Middlesbrough and Sunderland on their doorstep.

Why shouldn't we at least aspire to challenge West Ham, Newcastle and Everton long term?

25 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Especially that we have the potential to get 40-50,000 gates.

We're the 8th biggest city in England and 40 miles away from the nearest PL club and over 20 miles away from any club of note. It's not obscenely ambitious in us having a bigger stadium like it was Darlington building a 25,000 seater stadium with an 80,000 population and Middlesbrough and Sunderland on their doorstep.

Why shouldn't we at least aspire to challenge West Ham, Newcastle and Everton long term?

Do we have a bigger fan base than West Brom? They've been in this league for donkeys years and are sitting 8th in the table and their 2016/17 average attendance is 23k, which is poor by them. They're the only relevant club in the West Midlands and the nearest PL club to them is us.

I use West Brom as an example seeing as we are similar sizes clubs. Will years of mid table mediocrity increase our fan base.

Archived