Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Babylon

Confirmed: Ranieri new manager

Most worrying part is that it comes that there is little plan or football knowledge at the top level of our club.

The first target was a club legend and the second target was the only bloke who publically spoke up for the job.

That suggests to me that the hunt for a new manager was clueless and directionless.

This is how crap that will be spouted in future starts. Suddenly this guy not only knows who our targets were but also the order they were in, and is already using it as a criticism. Guarantee next time owner bashing season rolls around there will be people referring to this drivel as fact.

Wondering how well this was all thought through from beginning to end? The man stated clearly he hoped Leicester would come calling a couple of weeks back, it appeared many others were spoken too before we finally got to chatting with Ranieri. Was he a bit of a desperation pick as we needed a manager going into the season? Were others approached that flatly refused?

Lots of question marks...........all said and done, I hope he can take us up a few notches.

Guest ttfn

Yeah, with a lot of money.

1) We've got a lot of money

2) He turned both Juve and Roma into title challengers without spending much. He got Chelsea into the Champions League on a comparative shoestring budget.

Not sure about him, and I hope he won't be disillusioned about our realistic aims and try to overplay. Always thought he's managed good teams that were ready made rather than build any team from scratch. He's good for our clubs image but not sure about his tactical nouse. We shall see though.

He's a tactical step up on NP IMO

It's a bit shameful that both who backed Pearson through thick and thin are now writing him off instantly. Get a grip people! If you have a problem with the board, fair enough, but Ranieri has nothing to do with that, he's the new manager so get behind him for Christ's sake.

Not aware any of us who are disappointed have suggested we won't get behind the team or Ranieri and I hope he proves me wrong and is not another Sven.

An article from last year on Ranieri.

A country in as much of a financial meltdown as Greece could do worse than ask new national team manager Claudio Ranieri to give its government a hand balancing the books.

Ranieri has been appointed the new manager of Greece as they turn to the former Chelsea boss to lead the team into a new era.

Once thing is for certain, whatever the highs and lows of his football career, the crafty Italian rarely finishes out of pocket.

Sacked by Chelsea in 2004, the 62-year-old has, by conservative estimates, banked a cool £10million in compensation pay-offs from four clubs in 10 years.

When Ranieri was given his marching orders by Roman Abramovich in 2004, he still had three years on a deal at Stamford Bridge which should have earned £2m-a-year in salary payments.

He stood accused of over-rotating his squad, and picked up the nickname of the ‘Tinkerman’, but his period in charge saw Chelsea finish second in the Premier League and reach the semi-finals of the Champions League.

It was not enough for Abramovich, who was ready to pay handsomely to get rid of Ranieri for what he considered failure. But Chelsea’s scheduled compensation bill was drastically cut to around £1m when their former boss walked into a new job replacing Liverpool-bound Rafa Benitez at Valencia.

Within eight months of taking charge of the Spanish champions, he was on the look out for a new job yet again and about to bank another hefty bonus for winning nothing.

The decision to axe Ranieri, taken at a panicked board meeting following the club's shock elimination from the UEFA Cup by Steaua Bucharest, was a costly one.

He walked away with a cheque believed to be worth more than £4m, which allowed the luxury of two years off before taking his next job.

His self-imposed period in the wilderness ended with his return to management at Parma, who, against the odds, he led to Serie A safety at the end of the 2006-07 season.

After being at the club less than five months, though, he resigned to take over one of the biggest jobs in world football at Juventus.

His first season in charge was relatively successful, guiding them to third place a year after they had been rocked by the Italian match-fixing scandal.

But his second campaign was dire, leading to his dismissal after an emergency board meeting despite having a year to run on his original three-year contract.

Ranieri was due to receive his final year’s salary in one lump sum because a clause in the contract covered such an eventuality.

When his legal team threatened court action in a bid to force Juve to stump up the cash, the two parties agreed a cut-price compromise deal which saw him grab around £1m.

By the start of the following season, Ranieri had switched allegiances - and paymasters - to Roma.

A familiar pattern emerged; a bright start and a disappointing finish. His resignation by mutual consent followed after a string of miserable results in February 2011.

Remarkably, despite his average record as far as silverware is concerned, Ranieri is never short of offers from the biggest clubs when out of work.

Internazionale were next to gamble on the man who invariably delivers so little yet costs so much.

The parting of the ways was inevitable, but few could believe he was shown the door after just six months in charge.

He had been under intense pressure after a run of just one win in 10 matches left the club languishing in eighth place in the league table and struggling for European qualification.

Ranieri’s ill-feted reign came to an end in the aftermath of a painful 2-0 defeat against his former club Juventus, Inter’s ninth reverse of that season.

Never down for long, Ranieri fancied a change of scenery and left his homeland in May 2012 to work among the yachts and millionaires of Monaco.

He can argue a good case for success on the French riviera, leading the club to second in Ligue 1 and securing a Champions League spot after clinching promotion in his first season.

But after failing to beat Paris St Germain to the championship, the decision was made to call him the proverbial taxi in May this year. The bill is believed to be around £3m.

Ahh perfect, exactly the sort of manager the Thai's seem to love.

This is how crap that will be spouted in future starts. Suddenly this guy not only knows who our targets were but also the order they were in, and is already using it as a criticism. Guarantee next time owner bashing season rolls around there will be people referring to this drivel as fact.

It's my opinion Frank, like it or lump it.

It's the same suspects time after time. It's clear the owners don't have the faintest clue about appointing managers. They gave it back to Pearson as about 4th choice. They promoted two blokes to senior roles whose backgrounds were academy football and football administration.

... the guys previous indicates a positive and progressive builder, and that's what we really need. I do hope Shakey stays as both he and Claudio give out the calming influence that top flight PL teams need.

Yes, I was sorry to see Nigel leave the club .... but hey ... this has the hallmarks of a forward and upwards step ...

He wasn't even in the running or betting before he said anything.

Yeh because the betting proved to be so right!  

He may have alerted them with his message but I doubt that a Prem club doesn't have a very long list of managers to consider so my bet is, he was on their list before he announced that.

If not, then who cares if he got their attention?!  Doesn't change the fact that they had to look at his record, interview him and make decision.

Really don't see what people are getting at, that we just gave it to someone who wanted it....  Oh the shame.

Don't you know, he's on the panel of 5.  That's how he knows all this.  He's just criticizing himself.  lol

How good do people think Pearson is?  He still had a lot to prove for me.

We have just signed up one of the most experienced managers in Europe.  For me, the only way is up and European football here we come.

I was distracted by the thought of the return of MON but Ranieri has always been my choice.

I am also £160 better off !!

Muzzy on SSN at the minute is being pushed into calling this a shitty appointment by Jim White and he's having none of it. Sounds like he actually knows what's what and is astute enough to say that even though fans would possibly have wanted Lennon or O'Neill that we need to get behind Ranieri. He also pointed out that Ranieri can attract big names but that's not necessarily not what we need. We need survival first and foremost. 

Love that guy.

Yeah with a bit of cash involved too...

And?? If we want to really make the step and move forward guess what? We're going to have to spend some dollar! Being in the PL is a gamble every season! Winning is the only option - we must retain our status this year. Take a look at next years share of the broadcasting revenue....

Because he has a stature in the game and managed top European clubs, the owners have got it wrong?

He might not be the right fit for us, only time will tell.. But his building jobs with Monaco, Juventus and Parma suggest he can progress clubs. Maybe with money, but we have plenty of it and I couldn't care if he spends £50m if we get into the top half.

couldnt agree more mate.lol.

Did he say that he wanted to manage again in the PL or that he wanted the Leicester job? If you are asked by a journo, you do have to give an answer.

So much guff being spouted.

Yes, it's a step into the unknown but we spent little last year and this appointment seems to show that we will invest in the future.

The next big question is the current coaching team. The club themselves stated his connection to Steve Walsh in the profile they just put on the website, is this a hint they will be looking to keep on the rest of the staff? Here's hoping.

"LEICESTER CITY CONNECTIONS

Steve Walsh: Before his current role as Leicester City’s Assistant Manager and Head of Recruitment, Walsh spent 16 years working for Chelsea as a scout, with four of those during Ranieri’s time at the helm. 

Read more at here"

I wondered that. They made a point of mentioning Ranieri's previous connections to Walsh and Cambiasso. Would be good if that meant that they were hopeful of retaining them....but who compiles such profiles, I don't know. Might not be someone who'd have that level of knowledge.

Ah, well! In the absence of meaningful information, I disagreed with the Pearson sacking, but "The King is Dead, Long Live the King!" and all that. Ranieri now deserves a fair crack of the whip and our support, until such time as he shows that he doesn't deserve it.....hopefully that time never comes.

My main hope now is that he's not been brought in to buy in big names and massively overhaul the squad. He's bound to want to make 1 or 2 changes, but hopefully building on NP's foundations and improving them, maintaining the progression and squad morale - and making a few selective improvements. 

We'll be able to tell a lot from the transfer business (in and out) that he does - or tries to do - over the next few weeks. Lots of ins and out will support the idea that the owners wanted a big name to buy in high-profile players to boost the KP image. The retention of a lot of the existing squad will suggest that the owners just fell out with NP and deemed Ranieri the best man to take things forward.

Thanks a million to NP - and good luck for your future career (probably won't need it). Good luck, Tinkerman - hope you don't need the luck and don't tinker too much! COYB 

Archived