Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Filbert_Ross

Jordan Veretout

Could just have been changed in translation haha.

I don't like how crap we seem to be at selling the club's potential to players.

lol you would have thought it be easy.

Leicester: We have a load of money and a named manager. We want to take this club as far as it can go and will stop at nothing to achieve.

Villa: At Villa they have an old ground and some idiot in charge with limited funds... but we won something 30 years ago!

As much as it pains me to say this (and it really, really does), a clubs name still means a hell of a lot, 

Although we played phenomenal football in the last two months of the season and somehow managed to get Cambiasso, not many foreign players will be that familiar to Leicester City. Despite us finishing above them, Aston Villa is a bigger name regardless of who's in charge or what type of squad they have. To use La Liga as example, Villa are probably Espanyol a well known name with a decent history, we are someone like Rayo Vallecano who is always on the fringe. Unless we throw silly money, they won't come for at least a few years.

Also we appear to be Johnny-come-lately's to most of these deals, so we're moving in on the 11th hour when a player has probably done his research and made his mind up to move to a club.  

I hope I'm wrong but the last two links which seem to have any weight behind them have both been behind other clubs who moved first

Bigger club and they moved first, not surprising at all.

Who's going to 'want' to join us over a bigger club? What's this fascination with players needing to love Leicester to play for us? Why would they?

It's a business and it's their career. If they form an attachment to the club while they play here then great and I'm sure many do but when players move to a new club it's usually because they think there'll be a chance of success, more money or aid them in their development. They don't think "Ooooh, Leicester, I really fancy Leicester, great club."

Villa are a bigger club than us. Some need to take off the blue tinted specs.

Careful you will get branded a Villa fan if you have non biased opinion about Leicester

lol you would have thought it be easy.

Leicester: We have a load of money and a named manager. We want to take this club as far as it can go and will stop at nothing to achieve.

Villa: At Villa they have an old ground and some idiot in charge with limited funds... but we won something 30 years ago!

Yeah I don't get it. Maybe we're struggling to get a dialogue going with the player/the player's representatives. It just feels like it should be an easier sell than we appear to be making it.

After signing Kram and Cambi last season and staying up I really thought we wouldn't have this much trouble this season.

Don't think many were saying otherwise. Are they bigger? Yes. Are they better? Not currently no, they finished 3 places lower than us in the league and have lost their 4 best players. 

So does finishing 3 places above them last season make us a more attractive proposition, evidently not!!! 

Yeah I don't get it. Maybe we're struggling to get a dialogue going with the player/the player's representatives. It just feels like it should be an easier sell than we appear to be making it.

After signing Kram and Cambi last season and staying up I really thought we wouldn't have this much trouble this season.

Maybe players are looking at Ranieri's record for Greece and dont want to play for him.

Very odd for anyone outside of the UK to use that word as terminology... a very English phrase if I've ever seen one.

Well he would've spoken in French and the translator chose that expression.

Maybe players are looking at Ranieri's record for Greece and dont want to play for him.

As opposed to Tim Sherwood?

Villa are bigger than us but up until a month ago I'd have argued we were the more progressive. We're a complete unknown quantity for me now and Villa, whilst they've had a tricky summer, look to be finally getting there. We've not signed a player in over a month. Weighing all up I could see why he'd sign for Villa over us.

Nantes' chairman deserves a lot of credit there as well even if we are the losers here. That's classy.

Something doesn't add up here.

Why would we be stupid enough to bid €5m more than what was previously accepted and why did the Nantes chairman reject our extra €5m offer just not to upset the player.

Someone is talking out their backside.

It does seem a pretty silly level of desperation doesn't it. Why would we not just match Villa's bid if they'd had one accepted? It makes literally no sense.

What did he say?

Said that he could take an extra five million from us but he won't go back on the Villa deal as that's who Veretout wants to sign for. I think he's trying to push through the deal ASAP.

Signing for Villa because they are ostensibly bigger than us and their name is more well known is pretty ignorant to be honest.

I hope we get the chance to at least pitch LCFC to him.

Its ok. When Aranguiz rips Aston Villa to shreds and we thrash them he will realise what a royal cock up he has made.

I don't think we would have, we had a clear plan & direction. Building blocks in place to live up to owners vision and an end of season style that made the whole of Europe sit up & take notice

Now we've thrown all that out of the window, for a roll of the dice

I can understand why sought after players who have the pick of a few clubs would choose them over us, despite our 'elite' managerial appointment

Villa are bigger than us but up until a month ago I'd have argued we were the more progressive. We're a complete unknown quantity for me now and Villa, whilst they've had a tricky summer, look to be finally getting there. We've not signed a player in over a month. Weighing all up I could see why he'd sign for Villa over us.

Nantes' chairman deserves a lot of credit there as well even if we are the losers here. That's classy.

Big statement without stating the criteria that you are basing it on. If you are giving weight to number of seasons in the top division and won silverware then you have a point. However, if you are to base your statement on attendances and, probably nowadays more importantly, on wealth then is there much to chose between the clubs ?? Using this latter criteria then it's clear that both clubs are light years ahead of any other Midland clubs.

Big statement without stating the criteria that you are basing it on. If you are giving weight to number of seasons in the top division and won silverware then you have a point. However, if you are to base your statement on attendances and, probably nowadays more importantly, on wealth then is there much to chose between the clubs ?? Using this latter criteria then it's clear that both clubs are light years ahead of any other Midland clubs.

Bigger ground, bigger fanbase. Financially I don't know if anyone on here genuinely knows. Villa are a more known name than us.

Despite that, I believed with the stability we had under Pearson we'd have been a more attractive draw. Leicester in my opinion have forced themselves down the pecking order and that's why I'm so annoyed. Southampton for example, they aren't a bigger club than Villa - but who with any sense would sign for Villa over them?

Showing genuine progression will be a big thing in terms of beating off your rivals (as well as money). In the last month, we've sacked a successful manager for the club, replaced him with someone who's reputation isn't what people say it is, and we've lost our best player - that's all of our concrete activity in the past month, the one before the new season. Who on earth is going to be won over by that?

I believed we were going places. I don't anymore and I'll need convincing again. I'm open to changing that but my fears are being more and more confirmed by the day.

Archived