Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Phube

Crazy Stat Time!

7 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Our goal difference after 24 games is perfectly in ratio to how we ended last season ....

I am not sure that is a great stat given our collapse last year. :ph34r:

34 minutes ago, Steven said:

I am not sure that is a great stat given our collapse last year. :ph34r:

you would expect us to improve the GD over the last 14 games (if we don’t then we defo don’t make Europe!) 

the stat is even more weird when you consider that it isn’t just the GD that is ratio but those actuality scored and conceded 

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

Has there ever been a season where a team has never done the double over us within it?

Beating Villa today means only West Ham have that chance now to do that.

Even in the title-winning season Arsenal managed to do it.

About 5 posts above.

In the top flight, it would be the first time since 1928 if we avoid defeat at West Ham 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Has there ever been a season where a team has never done the double over us within it?

Depends if you only class it as top flight. Nobody did the double over us in League One.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Foxaholic ME said:

If we avoid  defeat at Vllla and West Ham  think it will be the first time  we havent conceded a double in the the Premier   league and the first in the top division since  1928 . Incidentally checking Fossils and Foxes  found that year we beat Portsmouth  10-0 and lost the return 1-0  and against Bolton   lost 5-0  and on the return won  6-1  losing the title on goal average. We were also  3rd the year before  which  meant  we have hardly been little Leicester for most of our history as  either side we were 7th and 8th

I think you're mistaken there. In the 1928/29 season the top two looked like this.

Sheff Wed P42 W21 D10 L11 F86 A62 Pts52

Leicester   P42 W21 D 9 L12 F96 A67  Pts51

So we lost the league by a point, not on goal average. We had a better goal difference than Sheff Wed at +29 to their +24. But goal average was slightly different, as it involved dividing the number of goals scored by the number go goals conceded which usually meant a figure of 0.something, the higher the figure the better. I haven't done the maths but I assume our goal average was the better than theirs that year.

Goal average was replaced by goal difference as the means of separating teams on equal points sometime in the 1970s I believe.

12 hours ago, davieG said:

Jamie Vardy has been directly involved in 99 PL goals since turning 30 (81 goals, 18 assists). Only five players have registered 100+ goal involvements aged 30+ (Teddy Sheringham, Ian Wright, Frank Lampard, Alan Shearer, and Gianfranco Zola).

So surely after today he has hit that 100?

:banana:

5 hours ago, StanSP said:

1928  Can checkin Foxes and Fossils but  according to my check  this was the last time I  assume you mean top division  as I expect although not checked  quite a few times in the lower divisions

• Like 1

On 21/02/2021 at 20:36, ceredigion said:

I think you're mistaken there. In the 1928/29 season the top two looked like this.

So we lost the league by a point, not on goal average. We had a better goal difference than Sheff Wed at +29 to their +24. But goal average was slightly different, as it involved dividing the number of goals scored by the number go goals conceded which usually meant a figure of 0.something, the higher the figure the better. I haven't done the maths but I assume our goal average was the better than theirs that year.

Goal average was replaced by goal difference as the means of separating teams on equal points sometime in the 1970s I believe.

You are quite right  apologies If  Leicester hadnt lost 1-0 to  Portsmouth who they had beat 10-0  earlier in the season they would have won it

On 21/02/2021 at 20:36, ceredigion said:

Is this the record number of games lost for a title winning team.  To me when, we lost our fourth game so early in the season, it made us unlikely title contenders.

7 hours ago, majaco said:

Is this the record number of games lost for a title winning team.  To me when, we lost our fourth game so early in the season, it made us unlikely title contenders.

I think 11 defeats in a title-winning season is the record but Sheff Wed share it with a number of other teams down the years. I don't think anyone has won the league and lost 12 matches or more. This only relates to the top-flight though. I don't know what the records are for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th divisions.

Obviously the league was more equal and therefore less predictable in the 20s 30s 40s 50s. But a couple of other things need to be remembered. The season was 42 games long not 38 so there were more possibilities to lose and also under 2 points for a win, defeats and draws were less damaging to your chances of finishing top.

In the 1928/29 season, Wednesday would have had 73 points from 42 games under 3 points per win. That  would be an extremely low points total to win the league these days even with only 38 games.We won it with 81 points remember and that was considered borderline low.

• Like 2

It would be interesting to see the league tables from when they began until the present, based on (a) 2 points for a win and goal average (b) 2 points for a win and goal difference (c) 3 points for a win and goal average (d) 3 points for a win and goal difference. Undoubtedly, these variations would result in very different positions of clubs, including who became champions in some of the seasons.  

1 hour ago, String fellow said:

It would be interesting to see the league tables from when they began until the present, based on (a) 2 points for a win and goal average (b) 2 points for a win and goal difference (c) 3 points for a win and goal average (d) 3 points for a win and goal difference. Undoubtedly, these variations would result in very different positions of clubs, including who became champions in some of the seasons.  

I've often thought the same but it wouldn't be a fair comparison as it used to pay for some teams to play for a draw, now it's not such an attractive option, which was the point of the change. It changes the way teams set up. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I've often thought the same but it wouldn't be a fair comparison as it used to pay for some teams to play for a draw, now it's not such an attractive option, which was the point of the change. It changes the way teams set up. 

It was also messing up the Football Pools which was based on selecting games that would be drawn. They had to change it to score and none score draws.

Away teams as you say where simply playing for draw mind you even with the 3 points it still happens but not so much.