Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Raw Dykes

Terrible Comedians

I tend to find you learn a lot about comedians when you see them on things like chat shows, ie where there's no script. Some of them shine, Peter Kay would be one. His recent TV efforts haven't been nearly as good as Phoenix Nights but he's naturally very funny. Sean Lock is another. Others are the total opposite; Frankie Boyle's natural demeanour bears resemblance to an outcast teenager planning a school shooting.

Too many of them are wildly over produced. Michael McIntyre, another who is about as funny as a can of treacle naturally, is a chief example; heavily scripted and wheels out the same lines over and over for years, then does a new stand-up and writes a few more and pushes those instead.

Very rarely listen or watch much British stand up. I find Stewart Lee funny at times, but hate it when he repeats the same thing over and over again for about 5 minutes. Luckily you can just skip it on Netflix though :D

Been enjoying Aziz Ansari, Louis C.K and Patton Oswalt on spotify recently.

Can't stand Stewart Lee

You know that is your fault and not his.

At least he doesn't spam himself on every TV show going, so it is easy to avoid him if you don't get him, and he knows people don't get him and that pleases him immensely, I actually saw him on Monday and before he came out they played some obscure track by the Fall, probably a B-side and that just summed him up.

Lee and Herring have taken very different paths in recent years, Stewart Lee spends a lot of time really crafting and honing his set, he does show after show after show to create something he deems worthy.

I've seen Herring live quite a few times and he has gone a bit shit, his stories go nowhere and any decent punch line is lost, I enjoy his podcasts where he is riffing off other people, I think he is a naturally funny person who just doesn't have the patience or guile to craft a decent stand up set.

Re: Women comedians, Sara Pascoe is flying the flag for funny people with vaginas, but other than that it is slim pickings.

I think every comedian on the circuit has been mentioned so far! Not a fan of Frankie Boyle or anyone that goes for shock comedy really.

That's a very limited circuit, there are plenty that haven't been mentioned (some good some bad), Ed Byrne, James Acaster, Simon Amstell, Paul Foot, Noel Fielding, Adam Buxton, Tommy Tiernan, David O'Doherty, Bill Bailey...

I could go on.

That's a very limited circuit, there are plenty that haven't been mentioned, Ed Byrne, James Acaster, Simon Amstell, Paul Foot, Noel Fielding, Adam Buxton, Tommy Tiernan, David O'Doherty, Bill Bailey...

I could go on.

Thanks for reminding me of James Acaster - Horrendous actually walked off stage when I went to see him and that got the biggest clap of the night!

Sean Lock is ****ing hilarious. He could do anything and I'd laugh.

Did you ever see that American road trip show he did with Jon Richardson? I loved it, wish they'd have made a full fledged series out of it. JR's comfort zone is so small, he just shies away from everything while Sean Lock gets stuck in with it all. It was a good watch

Another terrible one - Joe Lycett. Does he not realise that just being gay isn't funny?

You know that is your fault and not his.

At least he doesn't spam himself on every TV show going, so it is easy to avoid him if you don't get him, and he knows people don't get him and that pleases him immensely, I actually saw him on Monday and before he came out they played some obscure track by the Fall, probably a B-side and that just summed him up.

Lee and Herring have taken very different paths in recent years, Stewart Lee spends a lot of time really crafting and honing his set, he does show after show after show to create something he deems worthy.

I've seen Herring live quite a few times and he has gone a bit shit, his stories go nowhere and any decent punch line is lost, I enjoy his podcasts where he is riffing off other people, I think he is a naturally funny person who just doesn't have the patience or guile to craft a decent stand up set.

Re: Women comedians, Sara Pascoe is flying the flag for funny people with vaginas, but other than that it is slim pickings.

Yeah I have been told that my lack of intelligence is the reason for my hatred of Stewart Lee.

Yeah I have been told that my lack of intelligence is the reason for my hatred of Stewart Lee.

I can see why he is so divisive. I used to love This Morning with Richard Not Judy but overall I'm not a huge fan of his stand-up. I understand the concept and the idea, but there are sometimes long sections without anything actually funny, just things to think about

Don't worry about it, most of his fans are just pretending they get it to seem intelligent. :ph34r:

Really to  enjoy Stewart Lee you need to have seen him develop his act, if you went to one of his gigs today and had never heard of him before, you would probably walk out, and part of the humour is insulting the audience, belittling them and making them feel stupid with obscure references, then the repeat until funny approach, then keep going until it becomes painfully unfunny and still keep going until it is so absurd that it is funny again. On Monday he literally spent 10 minutes making fart noises interspersed with singing the national anthem. I actually nodded off at one point, it went on and on all building up to one really obvious punch-line that marked the end of his set.

Agree with the point about comedians off script. Got free tickets to John Bishop and he was OK, but when he opened it up to a Q&A at the end every question was funnier than his response.

Stewart Lee is miles ahead of everyone for me. The guy knows who is, and more importantly, who isn't, his audience. Totally see why people don't like him though and he plays on that quite a lot in his sets like this...

Don't worry about it, most of his fans are just pretending they get it to seem intelligent. :ph34r:

Really to  enjoy Stewart Lee you need to have seen him develop his act, if you went to one of his gigs today and had never heard of him before, you would probably walk out, and part of the humour is insulting the audience, belittling them and making them feel stupid with obscure references, then the repeat until funny approach, then keep going until it becomes painfully unfunny and still keep going until it is so absurd that it is funny again. On Monday he literally spent 10 minutes making fart noises interspersed with singing the national anthem. I actually nodded off at one point, it went on and on all building up to one really obvious punch-line that marked the end of his set.

I can see what you mean, and I expect a lot of people probably would walk out, or at the very least be extremely confused.  When I saw him live for the first time in about 2010, I had no idea what he'd been up to since TMWRNJ was on telly, and I was just blown away.  It was fortunate really because he basically just ticked all my comedy boxes and everything I hate about 90 per cent of stand up comedy didn't apply to his act.

If you were on a night out and had had a few pints and wanted to go and see a funny man and aren't familiar with his act he's probably the last person you'd want to see.

He's one of those rare things that when you describe him and what he does, it sounds like the very worst thing in the entire world, but if you're one of the people that connects with it, it's just brilliant and completely satisfying.  A bit like listening to The Fall

Agree with the point about comedians off script. Got free tickets to John Bishop and he was OK, but when he opened it up to a Q&A at the end every question was funnier than his response.

Stewart Lee is miles ahead of everyone for me. The guy knows who is, and more importantly, who isn't, his audience. Totally see why people don't like him though and he plays on that quite a lot in his sets like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78Puggk5MCA

That's quite funny but it's a complete rip off from the American TV show that started having guests read out Internet comments about them.

I'd describe Stewart Lee as a 110-115 IQ comedian. You need to be slightly above average intelligence to get him, but if you're much more intelligent than that you're going to get bored of him very quickly. Naturally I am in the latter camp.

That's quite funny but it's a complete rip off from the American TV show that started having guests read out Internet comments about them.

I'd describe Stewart Lee as a 110-115 IQ comedian. You need to be slightly above average intelligence to get him, but if you're much more intelligent than that you're going to get bored of him very quickly. Naturally I am in the latter camp.

I tend to find that about him too. He's more a comedian for people who think they are smarter than they actually are and probably brag to people about liking him, thinking they sound superior. Each to their own though, no offence to anyone lol

Archived