Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Raw Dykes

Terrible Comedians

He's one of those rare things that when you describe him and what he does, it sounds like the very worst thing in the entire world, but if you're one of the people that connects with it, it's just brilliant and completely satisfying.  A bit like listening to The Fall

I don't pay much attention to comedians. Apart from lack of time, I'm not quite sure why. Something to do with them entertaining too much but challenging too little, I think (despite their "alternative" image).

I might have to pay some attention to this Stewart Lee, though, if he's "a bit like listening to The Fall". Can't think of many better recommendations.

I'd already seen that his idol was Ted Chippington, an 80s comedian so terrible that he was brilliant (and now often appearing again with the stunningly brilliant Nightingales). I just replayed the video of Lee meeting Chippington and, lo and behold, Lee was first inspired to take up comedy when he saw Ted Chippington supporting.....The Fall.  :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsYxO07VjrE

Jack Whitehall is unbearable. He doesn't have any jokes he just puts a camp voice on. James Corden is also awful. I get it, you're fat. Now get off my tv screen.

Is that tosser off an idiot abroad considered a comedian? What a bellend he is.

Guest MattP

Virtually every single modern new age comedian.

Agree on Lee Evans as well, I'd pay not to see him.

Special mentions for Jo Brand, Eddie Izzard, Lenny Henry and James Cordon, all totally shit in magnificently different ways.

That's a very limited circuit, there are plenty that haven't been mentioned (some good some bad), Ed Byrne, James Acaster, Simon Amstell, Paul Foot, Noel Fielding, Adam Buxton, Tommy Tiernan, David O'Doherty, Bill Bailey...

I could go on.

James Acaster and Paul Foot are ****ing great. As mentioned Sara Pascoe is a passable British female comedian.

Hate Whitehall and his endless jokes about Nando's, ****. Hate Andy Parsons. Don't like Dara O'Brien on panel shows but his stand up is superb.

One I've never really gotten is Bill Hicks. I proper expect a tonne of abuse for this but I don't "get it." It doesn't make me laugh, sorry everyone.

Favourite is probably Aziz Ansari, sets are always perfect without fail.

didnt even know some of these people were "comedians". james corden presents tv shows? and has acted/written sitcoms and films? 

aisling bea is a woman i can tolerate, she isnt that funny but id smash er and she doesnt make me want to kill myself or herself 

Karl Pilkington? No he's just a bloke, used to produce Gervais' old radio show on XFM. Don't know how anyone can disliken him!

Agreed. He's on a bit too much and when you listen to the XFM show, it's so obvious that now he plays up for the camera now but he's still good.

Watch an old episode of "The Comedians" and you actually realise just how shit our generation of them are.

When you say 'shit' you mean you don't find them funny. Personally I find comedians like Mike Read and Stan Boardman as funny as colon cancer, but it's all subjective.

Andy Parsons as has been said. He's basically that mate's Dad who's house you'd go round as a kid who fancied himself as a bit of comedian.

Some shockers in here, though, have to say. Obviously it comes down to personal taste, but Billy Connolly? Not having that. Okay so the stuff he does isn't the most intellectual but his delivery is second to none. Has me in stitches. And Peter Kay? No, no, no. I know it's all opinion but I'm sorry, that's simply incorrect. Bloke is one of the most naturally funny human beings on the planet. His way with relating to every day life and being relevant to as many people as he is puts him head and shoulders above most.

Comedy is becoming increasingly difficult in a day and age where everybody is desperate to be offended. It's so easy to be a victim and people hide behind it. We live in a bandwagoning, spineless society and it grates on me like nothing else. I get that Frankie Boyle uses shock tactics, but who cares? Some of the stuff he comes out with is gold. Most people won't be seen to be an advocate of his, though, based on the fact he has offended some sections of society. If we as humans can't poke fun at each other, what's the bloody point? There's no malice in what he says, it's comedy. 

Agree on Sean Lock. He just has funny bones. Same goes for Lee Mack. Has me in tears on 'Would I Lie To You?'

Also agree on female comedians. Massive lack of talent, though I don't doubt there must be underrated performers out there. Sarah 'Ohh I just really love caaaake' Millican is the prime example of unimaginative, unfunny sh*te coming from the fairer side of the profession. They all just seem to poke fun at themselves which probably highlights more deep lying issues in the industry. Amy Hoggart is probably the best female comic I can think of. (Poppy from Almost Royal.)

As for stuff that goes under the radar, the Peacock and Gamble podcast was absolutely fantastic.

Russell Brand gets people's backs up because he's slightly controversial, and sometimes I do wish he'd chill out a bit on the political front, so I can understand why some don't like him. However, in terms of his intelligence and delivery, he's unrivalled. 

Went to see Tim Minchin a couple of years ago, too, who doesn't get the level of recognition he deserves.

Wish there was more in the modern age like Monty Python, Kenny Everett and the two Ronnies, though.

Guest MattP

When you say 'shit' you mean you don't find them funny. Personally I find comedians like Mike Read and Stan Boardman as funny as colon cancer, but it's all subjective.

Of course, the popularity is undeniable though, I doubt you could pull in 15million viewers these days for a show just with comedians telling jokes.

Of course, the popularity is undeniable though, I doubt you could pull in 15million viewers these days for a show just with comedians telling jokes.

tbf pretty sure over ten million people spent christmas day watching mrs browns boys so as super hans on peep show said, you cant trust people 

The shit comedians tend to be on tv all the time.

Ed Byrne is shit but Jason Byrne is quite good, Paul Chowdry doesn't seem to get much recognition in the media but he's probably my favourite at the minute.

Andy Parsons as has been said. He's basically that mate's Dad who's house you'd go round as a kid who fancied himself as a bit of comedian.

Some shockers in here, though, have to say. Obviously it comes down to personal taste, but Billy Connolly? Not having that. Okay so the stuff he does isn't the most intellectual but his delivery is second to none. Has me in stitches. And Peter Kay? No, no, no. I know it's all opinion but I'm sorry, that's simply incorrect. Bloke is one of the most naturally funny human beings on the planet. His way with relating to every day life and being relevant to as many people as he is puts him head and shoulders above most.

Agree about Kay. That documentary over Xmas was obviously hugely sycophantic but it highlighted how much Kay loves comedy and has crafted his work from such a young age. A comedy geek as some might say. He's not fallen out of university and got a career on being mildly amusing. The man (so he claims) has studied and made sure he captured his audience. No comedian will ever be universally popular but to sell out 15 days at the 02 in a ridiculously short space of time shows his popularity.

The thing about comedians is it's okay not to find them funny. It's alright not to laugh or be impressed. Everyone's humour is different and your humour changes the older you get, as well as generational comedy. There's room for all types like Nod.E said, from Boyle and his risqué humour through to the generally harmless humour of Kay.

Guest Mee-9

Some fine examples of comedy snobbery in here.

Comedy audiences are split into three groups. Tw*ts, C*nts and D*cks. 

Tw*ts - These laugh at anything, any observational a comedian makes.

C*nts - Take the piss out the Tw*ts and claim their more intellectual as they don't laugh at observations. - These love Stewart Lee. 

D*cks - Don't laugh at anything.

I don't find stand up comedy funny. Couldn't ever see myself going to see it live.

There's people in TV comedy that are much funnier. I'm a massive John Cleese fan and I can't think of many people in British history - stand up or not - that are funnier than him.

This.

Stand up comedy just isnt funny.

Huh. This is an alien concept to me. You don't find any stand up comedy funny at all? So if John Cleese did some stand up, you'd suddenly find him unfunny? Seems very strange.

Maybe you just haven't seen the right comedians yet.

Some of my favourites include Stewart Lee, Sean Lock, Louis C.K., Reeves & Mortimer, Bill Bailey, Bill Hicks, Ross Noble and Jerry Sadowitz.

For any fans of Sean Lock, there's a great sitcom he wrote and starred in that you might well not be aware of. It's called 15 Storeys High, and hardly anyone has heard of it. Well worth watching.

Here's the first episode:

There's been some great shouts for worst comedian. Especially James Corden. Can't believe I forgot about him. Fvcking atrocious.

Guest MattP

There is a name from the past, Jerry Sadowitz.

He was absolutely hilarious, I remember watching a show he did when I was a teenager and I was in bits, I was thinking how on earth he was getting away with what he was saying, he seemed to get banned from British TV very shortly afterwards as I never saw him again.

He didn't have to put anything on, to go on the BBC and say "Nelson Mandela, what a ****" took some serious balls.

I remember reading an article in the Guardian about him about ten years ago, he was the first person to out Jimmy Savile as a peadophile on it.

Archived