Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest MattP

Cricket 2016

Just been buying tickets for the summer tours, I do find it odd that we have 2 test nations touring this summer and we are just throwing in a cursory T20 against each, surely we should be cashing on the T20 boom, even structure it around the ODIs to maximise attendances, or even have a tri nation T20 series with Pakistan and Sri Lanka. I find it odd that we still treat T20 cricket with such disdain when not only is it highly lucrative and more accessible we are also quite good at it, but  will need more games to get better.

Do we really need 5 ODIs with 2 of them being potentially meaningless, midweek T20 games will be more popular and accessible than an ODI as you don't need to take the day off work, but we have one match at the end of each series as a bit of a foot note.

Just been buying tickets for the summer tours, I do find it odd that we have 2 test nations touring this summer and we are just throwing in a cursory T20 against each, surely we should be cashing on the T20 boom, even structure it around the ODIs to maximise attendances, or even have a tri nation T20 series with Pakistan and Sri Lanka. I find it odd that we still treat T20 cricket with such disdain when not only is it highly lucrative and more accessible we are also quite good at it, but will need more games to get better.

Do we really need 5 ODIs with 2 of them being potentially meaningless, midweek T20 games will be more popular and accessible than an ODI as you don't need to take the day off work, but we have one match at the end of each series as a bit of a foot note.

ECB are Luddites

They are scared T20 will kill thier one great cash cow Test Match Ashes !!!!

Test cricket is dying it's obvious it's only got a few generations left

Don't agree that test cricket is dying actually. Both the New Zealand and Australia series were fantastic last summer and attracted huge crowds.

The first day of the Trent Bridge produced far more excitement than you could ever get from a t20.

ECB are Luddites

It's the 50 over game that needs to be worried, not Tests. There will, thankfully, always be a market for Test cricket in England. Oversaturation of T20 would do us no good at all, as proved by the fact we've managed to get to its world final without the need for an IPL-style franchise league people seem so keen to push through.

ECB are Luddites

There will always be a market for Test Cricket, it's too good not to have one.

50 Over cricket is in big trouble though.

Good piece from George Dobell on county cricket's future, nodding my head vigorously agreeing with this paragraph in particular...

Those non-Test clubs continue to have an important role within the game. The likes of Northants and Leicestershire have, despite their financial troubles, produced some of England's most important players in recent years. And if we disenfranchise those clubs, are we also disenfranchising working-class kids from smaller towns and cities whose families may have little interest in the sport? How will they ever be exposed to the game? Cricket could easily become irrelevant to vast sections of the nation. Some would argue we are there already. The game must become, once again, a sport for everyone.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2016/content/story/995917.html

Gutted for JT, always been a fan of his, hopefully they can find a way to manage this, a pace maker or something, you would think that a cricketer could manage this condition better than a footballer, unless it is extremely severe.

James Taylor..What a sad story, simply giving the same thoughts of the last posters on the same theme.

Followed his progress through his whole career.With Stuart Broad, maybe the only success stories

coming out of Leicestershire CC in the last 15yrs or so.

Thoughts with him and hope he can at least still have close connections to HIS chosen sport.

Must be damn serious, the way its being reported. All the best for the future.

His catches of late will stay in the memory, but his explosive batting for his compact stature,

was a thrill to watch...Fought hard to get his England place..stunned really stunned.

An interesting stat posted on the BBC article regarding his retirement - At the time of his retirement, he has the 4th highest limited overs average in history (international & domestic).

Great player and good luck to him with whatever he does next.

Gutted for JT, always been a fan of his, hopefully they can find a way to manage this, a pace maker or something, you would think that a cricketer could manage this condition better than a footballer, unless it is extremely severe.

Really sad news. Hope he can remain in the set-up

1 thing I don't understand is with all the tests etc pro athletes go under, how conditions such as JT's and Muambas can go undiagnosed for so long?

He's got a condition similar to mine, a cardiomyopathy (thickening of heart muscle), though his (ARVC) is rarer than mine, and mainly affects the right ventricle, not the left. Fabrice Muamba had the same one as me, I think (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy).

The main risk is of the thickened heart muscle disrupting the electrics of the heart. Generally, that's not life-threatening (apart from a stroke risk that can be medicated to prevent clots), but it can prove fatal - particularly if you engage in sudden vigorous activity.When I was diagnosed, I was told that I was fine to carry on with most activities, including long walks, and could take up jogging if I wanted, but not to take up weight-lifting or sprinting because of the sudden exertion. So, a stop-start sport like cricket or football would be a lot more dangerous than, say, running a marathon. When I got my current abnormal rhythm, I got it from trying to push a heavy box of LPs a couple of inches across the carpet!

I presume his cardiomyopathy is genetic, like mine. Yet I had never had any symptoms before I was diagnosed by chance at age 48. I had fallen downstairs (sober!) and broken my arm. They were considering an op to pin the bone, did routine checks and discovered a heart murmur - first I knew about it. The cardiomyopathy was then diagnosed via an echocardiogram (ultrasound scan). I don't know whether top sports pros are routinely given echos, but even if they are, the condition might not be detectable until it had developed to a certain extent. The genetic nature of my condition was confirmed via a DNA test, but some people get these problems without them being caused by a known gene deformation, so there may be no foolproof screening method.

Awful news. Really rated Taylor as a player, quick hands and good power for a little lad. Just getting into the England team too. Hopefully he can still find a way to be involved in cricket.

Archived