Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

2 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

I’m gonna have to speak to our financial controller on this. Need to make sure it makes commercial sense! Or maybe I go for a cheaper car

It’s a nightmare working it out,thinking about it I pay more than £90 because of my tax bracket,but I remember forgetting about the benefit in kind and getting taxed even more on my code.

You have to inform the tax office yourself as if not they come asking for it back.

plus when you work out the tax calculator ( Comcar) whatever you do take a screenshot or print off,I had them try and say my car was worth more and hence tax me more.Took ages to find info again.

if you need help nearer the time PM me as I seem to be an expert on where to find the info these days.

Just now, cambridgefox said:

It’s a nightmare working it out,thinking about it I pay more than £90 because of my tax bracket,but I remember forgetting about the benefit in kind and getting taxed even more on my code.

You have to inform the tax office yourself as if not they come asking for it back.

plus when you work out the tax calculator ( Comcar) whatever you do take a screenshot or print off,I had them try and say my car was worth more and hence tax me more.Took ages to find info again.

if you need help nearer the time PM me as I seem to be an expert on where to find the info these days.

Thanks definitely will do mate

11 hours ago, Unabomber said:

I’m gonna have to speak to our financial controller on this. Need to make sure it makes commercial sense! Or maybe I go for a cheaper car

Great title - financial controller. Normally they are dull as hell, but they have great job titles. Bet they love it 

• 3 weeks later...

Got my car serviced and MOT'd at main dealer yesterday. Done under service plan, which included some bits and bobs that I would've expected to pay for.

Came away feeling pretty good about it until loading the boot at the supermarket on the way home and I find a long, and in parts, deep scratch which I think can only have been done during the 'complimentary' wash.

It's a first world problem to be sure, but it's disappointing to have to enter a world of hassle when I wouldn't have been arsed if they'd not cleaned the car at all

Edited by Bellend Sebastian

On 30/09/2018 at 09:23, Bellend Sebastian said:

Got my car serviced and MOT'd at main dealer yesterday. Done under service plan, which included some bits and bobs that I would've expected to pay for.

Came away feeling pretty good about it until loading the boot at the supermarket on the way home and I find a long, and in parts, deep scratch which I think can only have been done during the 'complimentary' wash.

It's a first world problem to be sure, but it's disappointing to have to enter a world of hassle when I wouldn't have been arsed if they'd not cleaned the car at all

Your lucky. Last time my car went in for a service they crashed it, so I was without it for 10 days.

Then I checked my app that has my journeys on it, and it had been on a journey that didn’t need to be done. 

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Yastafox said:

So my car is on its last legs and it’s time to update it. Was initially thinking of part financing a nearly new car but have also been looking at PCP deals. Anyone used PCP here??

I asked a similar question fairly recently and since I’ve done a pcp on a 16 reg Tiguan SE nav. Glad I did pcp rather than lease it just works out better for me. 

What cars / budget are you looking at if you don’t mind me asking?

42 minutes ago, SystonFox said:

I asked a similar question fairly recently and since I’ve done a pcp on a 16 reg Tiguan SE nav. Glad I did pcp rather than lease it just works out better for me. 

What cars / budget are you looking at if you don’t mind me asking?

Well I’ve got about 5k for a deposit. Looking at getting a C class. Was originally thinking of getting one around 12/13 reg which you can pick up for around 9k. But thinking I could probably get a much newer one with PCP. Not sure what the monthly payments would be however.

On 01/10/2018 at 22:40, Rob1742 said:

Your lucky. Last time my car went in for a service they crashed it, so I was without it for 10 days.

Then I checked my app that has my journeys on it, and it had been on a journey that didn’t need to be done. 

Heard of this before

Same thing happened to a mate of mine. 

Apparently its common practice at some garages for personnel to 'borrow 'vehicles evening / weekends .

• Like 1

Unsure if this is the right place to post this but this evening I’ve received a parking ticket. The machine wouldn’t accept either of the two £1 coins I had in my wallet so I just left my van parked where it was. Came back and I had a ticket. Where do I stand here?

On 15/10/2018 at 23:46, SystonFox said:

Unsure if this is the right place to post this but this evening I’ve received a parking ticket. The machine wouldn’t accept either of the two £1 coins I had in my wallet so I just left my van parked where it was. Came back and I had a ticket. Where do I stand here?

Appeal.

Is it council or a private company?

On ‎16‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 17:10, Parafox said:

We recently decided to sell my wife's car as she didn't use it. We wanted the cash fairly quickly so took a punt at Webuyanycar.com.

It was a 10 plate Hyundai i10, bit of a crap car tbh, but had only done 32,000. It was in very good condition, fsh and all that. I looked online at Webuy… put all the details in and the guide price was £2,000 which seemed a bit short but, as I said, we needed the money soon. 

Booked a time to take it round, got there, the guy went through the checks for finance, owners, etc, then went out to look around it with me, came back in and inputted stuff into his PC. Came back wit an offer £1650. We declined.

Advertised it on Autotrader the next day, sold it the day after for £2650. A lesson learned.

£1650 is an utter rip off, what were his reasons for marking it down so much?

1 hour ago, Tuna said:

That he was employed by webuyanycar.com, I expect.

They give all sorts of encouraging numbers in the adverts, but has anybody ever actually felt they got a good deal off them? I suppose you have to remember that a dealership will also have your pants down on a part ex

1 hour ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

That he was employed by webuyanycar.com, I expect.

They give all sorts of encouraging numbers in the adverts, but has anybody ever actually felt they got a good deal off them? I suppose you have to remember that a dealership will also have your pants down on a part ex

I've never seen a good review for webuyanycar.com online.

On 16/10/2018 at 17:10, Parafox said:

We recently decided to sell my wife's car as she didn't use it. We wanted the cash fairly quickly so took a punt at Webuyanycar.com.

It was a 10 plate Hyundai i10, bit of a crap car tbh, but had only done 32,000. It was in very good condition, fsh and all that. I looked online at Webuy… put all the details in and the guide price was £2,000 which seemed a bit short but, as I said, we needed the money soon. 

Booked a time to take it round, got there, the guy went through the checks for finance, owners, etc, then went out to look around it with me, came back in and inputted stuff into his PC. Came back wit an offer £1650. We declined.

Advertised it on Autotrader the next day, sold it the day after for £2650. A lesson learned.

So you’re saying you sold it in one day and for 450 OVER the guide price?

Hmmmmm.. I’d say that’s incredibly lucky...

We buy any car send all their cars directly to auction so will give an estimated auction price.

I’ve sold twice to them. They’ll always try to bid you down for minor scratches etc but you just tell em to bollox. Either you give me what you’ve quoted, or I’ll walk away type thing.

A number of times also what we buy have quoted me has been MORE than the px value.

This all depends if you have the time and the will to live by advertising privately. If so, you may get a few more quid.

22 hours ago, Tuna said:

He said it had a few marks and scratches that would need respraying before it could go to auction. Absolute bullshit. Yes, it had a couple of minor marks on the  drivers door and the grille but nothing that would be detrimental in auction nor would need "re-spraying".

42 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

So you’re saying you sold it in one day and for 450 OVER the guide price?

Hmmmmm.. I’d say that’s incredibly lucky...

We buy any car send all their cars directly to auction so will give an estimated auction price.

I’ve sold twice to them. They’ll always try to bid you down for minor scratches etc but you just tell em to bollox. Either you give me what you’ve quoted, or I’ll walk away type thing.

A number of times also what we buy have quoted me has been MORE than the px value.

This all depends if you have the time and the will to live by advertising privately. If so, you may get a few more quid.

When I looked on Autotrader the guide price there was £2850, so I actually sold it for less than guide. The guy that bought it didn't quibble or suggest that the price was too high, so I assume he checked on Autotrader too. Naturally he haggled as, you would expect. 

He was the first to respond to the ad. As you probably know, Autorader takes a couple of days to approve the ad so maybe "the next day" was a bit of an overstatement, but went in after approval and a day later I got the phone call to ask to see it, he came round that afternoon and made me an offer same day.

Edited by Parafox