Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Vardy

You're assuming that when the release clause was negotiated he knew we were going to win the league and qualify for the champions league.

Everyone expected us to fall away, even then.

The players should be the LAST people expecting us to fall away surely.

Why would you let a club down gently if you aren't joining them? It just doesn't make sense to me.

I might be clutching at straws with this but could it be that a lot of England fans support Arsenal and they are worried about the amount that might tune out of England games, should he announce that he is staying put, before the tournament?

There's an incredible amount of entitlement from Arsenal fans as you can see on the forums and twitter comments in which they are already bad mouthing Vardy. Talk about us calling him Judas if he leaves, they are already calling him that because he's delaying announcing his decision!!!??

Something should be done about these contracts. You don't get an F1 driver signing a 3 year deal for a team, then effing off to another team after 6 months. A contract should be binding.

Yes, let's force them to stay despite ranieri saying he didn't want unhappy players at the club.

From a selfish point of view, Vardy is in a perfect situation.  He has an offer on the table from Arsenal and an improved offer on the table from us.  He is allowed to take his time to choose and he is about to play in a major international tournament - the ultimate shop window.  It is win win for him.  If he doesn't have a great tournament then he can sign our improved contract and stay here.  But if he scores 3 or 4+ goals then his stock rises and he will likely receive more offers offering even more money.

I wish he would just pledge his future to Leicester but 100% understand him stringing this transfer window out, at least until the end of the Euros.

Whether we we were "happy" to have it included is irrelevant. The contract was signed by both parties, so there must have been acceptance by both sides on the terms of the contract.

From the fact is there's clearly one in the contract and we were happy to agree it.

Maybe Vardy's old contract had a 10 million buy out clause we do not know. Vardy clearly holds the aces so the contract in Feb may have benefited us to go to 20 million like it or not, or do you risk losing a player who will not sign without a release figure in their contract. Forbes seems to think Vichai's wealth is rising by well over £1  million a day which seems to suggest he and those under him are pretty switched on.

Yeah that's kinda what I was saying - in recent years Wenger has seemingly rejected getting involved in the "mad market" as you call it. 

Not saying Arsenal have necessarily made the wrong decision to go for Vardy...just surprised.

Is a 29-year-old Vardy worth more than £20m? Maybe. Is he worth more than £30m? No way, I don't think so.

So at the end of the day I'd say we might sell at £23-26m even if he didn't have a release clause - IF he wanted to leave.   

£30m+ would be too high. We can't compete with Chelsea, Manchester City or Manchester United financially, so the really big signings are out of our reach. I see that City are contemplating £55m for Aubameyang. We can't compete with that.

What I hope is that the idea of signing Vardy, shows that we'll change our style a bit. We should go back to the more counterattacking style we had at Highbury, especially away from home. Your lot did that exceptionally well last season.

I think Vardy is taking a big risk if he joins us. The expectations will be sky high, and the media will love him to fail. If we play the same possession game as we have done since the Emirates opened, it could be very difficult for him. If he stays at Leicester he'll be a local hero, and the press will praise him for "rejecting the filthy London lucre". In any case he'll get a nice pay rise out of it all.

Best thing about all of this could be that the Swedish Balkan guy, Zlatan.. something, most likely is not happy ATM, Vardy having stole his transfer spotlight.

Yes, anything to annoy him - brilliant player but a complete tw@t as a person - One of those types that loves the world to revolve around him, then attacks when he is given the attention that he desperately craves!

Still want Vardy to stay mind!

I might be clutching at straws with this but could it be that a lot of England fans support Arsenal and they are worried about the amount that might tune out of England games, should he announce that he is staying put, before the tournament?

There's an incredible amount of entitlement from Arsenal fans as you can see on the forums and twitter comments in which they are already bad mouthing Vardy. Talk about us calling him Judas if he leaves, they are already calling him that because he's delaying announcing his decision!!!??

You do realise that the vast majority of the population aren't petulant 5 year olds don't you. If you're not watching England because a certain player left or turned down your club you need to sit down and seriously assess your life.

Mercer comments are bullshit, Vardy will adapt. He has a good first touch, high IQ, good acceleration. I remember Bellamy saying he believed so as well, while recounting his troubles playing at Liverpool with less space behind. He beloved vardy would do fine. I trust him more than Mercer. On top of that Arsenal would not even need Vardy to be a huge difference maker vs teams that sit back. They really need him in the UCL to play differently vs the Bayerns and barcas.

This is what happens when you start mixing it with the big boys. Teams like Arsenal will want our players, just the same as teams like Madrid, Bayern and Barca will want the best players from the Arsenal and Chelsea. It's happens all the way to the top of the tree.

Archived