Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

2016/17 Football League Championship

Pleased for Huddersfield and think they'll have a real go next season, no pressure whatsoever on them at all. To be honest all the three teams that have gone up, I can see all three staying up, going be a very difficult premier league next term.

1 hour ago, Leicesterpool said:

Pleased for Huddersfield and think they'll have a real go next season, no pressure whatsoever on them at all. To be honest all the three teams that have gone up, I can see all three staying up, going be a very difficult premier league next term.

Not going to happen. Huddersfield, Palace and one of Brighton/Swansea will be the three down.

Guest FriendlyRam

Pleased for huddersfield,. Reading have been up few times in recent times and been mostly average so its nice to see someone different have a chance. They will need to strengthen though which is obvious but still a marvellous achievement.

As for big clubs do you mean us lot, villa, Norwich etc? Who have spent more on one player than the two finalists spent on their whole team... Hardly the time for some clubs fans to kick off after the money spent and total failure.. Ourselves included.

1 hour ago, FriendlyRam said:

As for big clubs do you mean us lot, villa, Norwich etc? Who have spent more on one player than the two finalists spent on their whole team... Hardly the time for some clubs fans to kick off after the money spent and total failure.. Ourselves included.

Don't worry, Wednesday fans will top that. Already seen rubbish posted on social media by some of their fans. Think they're massive.

4 hours ago, MPH said:

Huddersfield. Promoted with a negative goal difference. 

But we could've had Reading who have lost 7-1, 5-0, 4-1 twice and 3-0 twice this season. Both sides have been able to win enough games whilst also being thumped a few times.

just watching the play-offs on catch up. Oh my Lord. Sorry Huddersfield fans, you're going to get annihilated in the Premier League. That play off performance was absolutely dreadful. Back to the championship with the least points in the league next season. Shit to watch and shit football. Must be one of the worst promotion play off finals ever,

8 hours ago, Parafox said:

just watching the play-offs on catch up. Oh my Lord. Sorry Huddersfield fans, you're going to get annihilated in the Premier League. That play off performance was absolutely dreadful. Back to the championship with the least points in the league next season. Shit to watch and shit football. Must be one of the worst promotion play off finals ever,

Well, you could say that about practically every single potential promotion candidate in the Championship. I'd say the gap between the two top tiers in England has widened a lot over the past two, three years. The amount of money involved in the Premier League has become insane and most Championship teams just can't cope with that.

Not Huddersfield's fault. Even Newcastle and Brighton will have to invest wisely and massively.

Then again, I wouldn't base my assertion on one single playoff appearance alone. It's been a long season for Huddersfield, they'll do well to recover over the summer.

9 hours ago, Parafox said:

Huddersfield, locally owned, have the same budget as Rotherham. Clearly should have been nowhere near the play offs it's such an achievement.

However, all that top 6 are poor apart from Newcastle and Brighton. I thought it would be Fulham as they looked so good going into the play offs. Look at Reading and they've been battered this season - conceded 7 at Norwich, 5 at Fulham and plenty of 3s. Any team who gets promoted needs to strengthen heavily - apart from Newcastle who didn't lose too many players.

Don't see why Huddersfield should do badly next season, very decent manager who put together a good squad on an incredibly low budget. I'm assuming people haven't actually watched much football this season.

I'd love us to take a punt on Mooy, looks like a very decent player. Would certainly be an upgrade on King.

22 hours ago, Parafox said:

Genuinely, I think many on here said exactly the same thing about Bournemouth. Some even put dosh on them to be relegated, if I recall. 

Whether Huddersfield stay up or not will be based upon two things. 

1. Who they sign. They cannot afford to sign anyone who is incapable of hitting the ground running. Their season would be over before they knew it.

2. Keeping the team spirit together. The manager this season has achieved wonders by getting them promoted and this must be based, in large part, on having a great team spirit.

The other teams to come up, I think will be ok. Newcastle will continue to spend and under Rafa, will this time sign much better players. Brighton will be buoyed by having their big chance in the Prem and, like Bournemouth, I think will be strong at home.

Who'd have expected Bournemouth v Huddersfield playing each other in the Premier League, Portsmouth in League One and Coventry sliding down to League Two 5-10 years ago?

Shows that both management and proper pledged/supportive owners can have massive impacts in football either positively or negatively.

On 5/29/2017 at 18:33, FrankieADZ said:

Pleased for Huddersfield going up, deserved too this season imo, 

The amount of sour grapes from other fans in the Championship(from so called bigger teams) calling them tin pot etc is beyond a joke, 

It's getting worse and worse and it's reached the point where I almost hope next year Burton, Reading and Barnsley come up with Newcastle, West Ham and Everton going down. It would be hilarious watching the entitlement grow even more.

Honestly, I'm starting to really resent these entitled twats. Oh the Premier League needs Leeds v Forest. What a treat for us all, that's why the league has stuttered - it's been missing a battle between two clubs who'll spend the game wanking over things from generations ago. That's the true spirit of the game. That's what it's all about.

Come on Reading. Don't let me down next year.

Also, this bashing of Huddersfield going up with a negative goal difference is hilarious. If they're so bad then why did only four teams come above them?

If they're so undeserving of winning the play-offs because none of their players scored in them then why did Sheffield Wednesday and Reading not beat them?

The final itself was one of the worst games I have ever witnessed but that's solely down to how excessive it is on what is riding on it. That's reflected a lot in the English game. Teams are petrified of losing now.

They were talking about the play-offs format again earlier on the radio and I heard three interesting suggestions on how you could change them. I do think it's a fair point really that 3rd and 6th for example will go into it level, and that's not really fair.

1. No penalties. If the games are draws after extra time, the team who finished higher goes through - it therefore incentivises one team to attack, rather than both defending like yesterday. No-one will convince me yesterdays game was anything other than appalling. If the attacking isn't there then what exactly is the defending against?

2. The play-offs should start with 6th going away to 5th, the winner going away to 4th, and the winner of that going away to 3rd. I actually think that's a very decent shout.

3. Penalty shoot-out taken before the final, so again, it incentivises one team to go for it - though I'm not a fan of this one. You could end up knackering a game before it's even kicked off.

11 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

2. The play-offs should start with 6th going away to 5th, the winner going away to 4th, and the winner of that going away to 3rd. I actually think that's a very decent shout.

While that's a fairer way of going about it on paper the 3rd placed team will have 2/3 weeks without football.

12 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Also, this bashing of Huddersfield going up with a negative goal difference is hilarious. If they're so bad then why did only four teams come above them?

If they're so undeserving of winning the play-offs because none of their players scored in them then why did Sheffield Wednesday and Reading not beat them?

The final itself was one of the worst games I have ever witnessed but that's solely down to how excessive it is on what is riding on it. That's reflected a lot in the English game. Teams are petrified of losing now.

They were talking about the play-offs format again earlier on the radio and I heard three interesting suggestions on how you could change them. I do think it's a fair point really that 3rd and 6th for example will go into it level, and that's not really fair.

1. No penalties. If the games are draws after extra time, the team who finished higher goes through - it therefore incentivises one team to attack, rather than both defending like yesterday. No-one will convince me yesterdays game was anything other than appalling. If the attacking isn't there then what exactly is the defending against?

3. Penalty shoot-out taken before the final, so again, it incentivises one team to go for it - though I'm not a fan of this one. You could end up knackering a game before it's even kicked off.

Number one.... That will obviously cause one team to sit back and play it out settling for the draw. I'm not keen on that. You'll get teams parking the bus and time wasting from minute one. 

Number two. As already pointed out one team gets probably over two weeks without football. Just not really feasible. 

Number three. Defo no. Would be disastrous 

In some ways I'd like to see away goals reintroduced. Will lead to more attacking play at least 

And the other option is do same as lower non league. Both semis and final are played as a home game for highest finishing team. But this won't happen as powers that be won't want to lose all Wembley revenue 

15 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

It's getting worse and worse and it's reached the point where I almost hope next year Burton, Reading and Barnsley come up with Newcastle, West Ham and Everton going down. It would be hilarious watching the entitlement grow even more.

Honestly, I'm starting to really resent these entitled twats. Oh the Premier League needs Leeds v Forest. What a treat for us all, that's why the league has stuttered - it's been missing a battle between two clubs who'll spend the game wanking over things from generations ago. That's the true spirit of the game. That's what it's all about.

Come on Reading. Don't let me down next year.

Strange how the league needs clubs who've been out of it for nearly a generation, isn't it? When you have nearly 50 different clubs joining a league over a period of time, undoubtedly some will be less fashionable, smaller clubs. And you know what? That is fantastic. These supposed huge clubs will be back in time but I hope we continue to have a variety of teams making up the division.

Archived