Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Vardy Euro 2016 Thread

Not only Drinky, but any two of  Albrighton, Noble and Townsend would have been far more inspired choices than those two. Oh, sorry, I forgot, none of them play for spuds, man ure, arsenal, liverpool, chelski or man city.

100% right. I stayed up until 4am watching that turgid crap when sleep would have been a far better option.

I hope that match has hit home to Vardy how lucky he is to be at a club, and team, that believe in him and play to his strengths. 

As for hodgson, he is a totally inept manager on £5M a year who has achieved very little. How he justifies such a wage is beyond me. But he's a great yes man for the FA. A safe option, rather than someone who may say the occasional embarrassing comment, but might actually get us somewhere. Don't think it will get any better because the next manager will be the same type.

Totally agree the next England manager will be another southern "yes man". It's like this almost forever for the FA go back to the 70's after Don Revie left, the FA could have gone for Brian Clough who at that time had took two different teams to the top of the league, something not been repeated since plus of course later went on to win the European cup twice. But still the FA snubbed! I remember hearing late Sir Bobby Robson admitting he turned down opportunity to take the England job earlier, but he told the FA to go for Clough. But who did they go for? Ron Greenwood

Please someone tell me how DD failed to get in the squad ahead of this shite. Henderson? Wilshere? DD would have bossed that tonight and provided Vardy with some actual service. Pathetic!

This is why England will never win anything, until the management have a change of policy.

Until the big time Charlie's who are out of form, and spent most of the season out injured, stop getting in because of their names, and we take in form players like drinky, noble and the likes, nothing will change.

Look at Spain, Costa is a big name, had a poor season, he stay at home.

Either way, if hodgson doesn't win it, I want him gone, he has sucked the life out of our national game, and still not achieving success.

I would rather be entertained and still not win anything, than watch that tippy tappy, slow moving, predictable shite we see under hodgson.

Vardy was asked to play like Kane last night and I still think he did a better job than the currently out-of-form Kane.

It's just baffling when you have someone upfront who for me is the best counter-attacking striker in Europe and yet time after time the early direct ball is ignored in favour of a short pass that goes absolutely nowhere.

Roy admitted that he wouldn't change the style of play to suit Vardy, but when you are playing him as a lone striker in a major tournament you have to. That's the whole point!

This is why England will never win anything, until the management have a change of policy.

Until the big time Charlie's who are out of form, and spent most of the season out injured, stop getting in because of their names, and we take in form players like drinky, noble and the likes, nothing will change.

Look at Spain, Costa is a big name, had a poor season, he stay at home.

Either way, if hodgson doesn't win it, I want him gone, he has sucked the life out of our national game, and still not achieving success.

I would rather be entertained and still not win anything, than watch that tippy tappy, slow moving, predictable shite we see under hodgson.

Spot on.

Watching England I want to be entertained, not bored. Under Hodgson, barring a bloody miracle, we'll be bored AND still not win anything. Unleash the fookin shackles off these players, man, and set us up to have a go!

The problem with this England team, or more importantly, the manager, is that he doesn't seem to adapt to different situations. From a tactical point of view, he's very similar to Pearson in some way, in that plugging away doing the same thing will hopefully work. When Ranieri came in, you could see how his substitutions would allow the team to adapt to what was happening on the pitch. Vardy, last night, has become one of many victims of this in this current campaign.

When Hodgson selected this team, was it with winning against this Slovakian team in mind? Or was to allow for rests and suspensions? From an England point of view, I'd have taken Vardy off last night as playing against out and out defending isn't his game, the same way that quick counter attacking isn't Kane's game. I would like to think that the squad selection was to enable us to change things when we needed changing rather than ask players, regardless of their strengths and abilities, to all play the same way. He's so stuck in his ways, he reminds me a little of van Gaal in that respect. 

This is also the reason why I think Carroll would have been a decent choice for a place in the squad, there's no need to take players that play in very similar ways. You need players that will mess things up a little.

We let Slovakia get a point from that game by bringing on players and then asking them to play in exactly the same way as the players that they replaced.

A totally inept performance from England. No quality and no leadership either on or off the field. Roys decision to being Willshire in preference to Drinkwater was exposed for what it was.

It was never Vardy's type of game but he has to learn to be better in these one on ones. He should have been taken off and Sturridge left on, simply because he's a natural finisher, especially in and around the goal.

England played like it was only a matter of time before they scored instead of making things happen. Roy has become an embarrassment who's been exposed as tactically inept. But I Guess nothing changes with England.

Really? Because it's bloody difficult to finish when you haven't got the discipline to play up front. The most disappointing thing about yesterday was that Sturridge sat in front of Dier, leaving Vardy up front on his own. We know how Vardy plays, and Sturridge followed the Rooney model of years gone by: dropped too deep, was ineffective where he was and left anyone playing up isolated. Vardy wasn't in it much, but pretty much every touch was spot on. If Wilshere and Henderson had started off, we'd have been a much much better team with some attaching intent-as it was, Vardy was marked out of the game by two decent centre backs. I don't see what more he could have done...

It's disturbing how predictable this tournament has gone for England. We all knew that hodgson would be the greatest enemy to our success and thus it's been proven. Failure to bring form players and bring players on name and reputation. Drinky and Townsend should have gone. Bad substitutions cost us Russia game, picked the wrong team against Wales and deserves no credit whatsoever for that game turning round and leaving out players yesterday was a monumental gaffe. Frankly finishing second in that group should be a sackable offence. It won't and we'll be stuck with the clueless prat. England team are a plane heading toward the mountain with the pilot sitting in the cockpit merrily whistling to himself as we head for yet another early tournament exit.

Doesn't matter what striker plays for England they will remain anonymous because the ball is never played up to them in a meaningful way. This is what amazes me that the management team haven't looked at the stats of who has the ball and the areas where it is mostly passed around in and haven't tried to change it. It's unforgivable.

It's disturbing how predictable this tournament has gone for England. We all knew that hodgson would be the greatest enemy to our success and thus it's been proven. Failure to bring form players and bring players on name and reputation. Drinky and Townsend should have gone. Bad substitutions cost us Russia game, picked the wrong team against Wales and deserves no credit whatsoever for that game turning round and leaving out players yesterday was a monumental gaffe. Frankly finishing second in that group should be a sackable offence. It won't and we'll be stuck with the clueless prat. England team are a plane heading toward the mountain with the pilot sitting in the cockpit merrily whistling to himself as we head for yet another early tournament exit.

Watch us somehow miraculously win the thing now!

If Vardy wants to play with the ball in this set-up hes going to have to go and get it, standing in the Pen area like a spare Pr*ck at a wedding for a lot of the game when he could have been trying to win the ball. A number of his team-mates don't seem to want him  there and ain't going to pass him the ball....The game lacked a Drinkwater....

he was pretty awful. think i read he touched the ball like 5 times in the whole second half? for a team that spent the whole 45 minutes in their final third. scenes.

obviously he's our jamie vardy so nobody on here will admit that but he was a complete non-entity (through his fault or others, that's for anyone to argue) but to claim he was one of our better players is absolutely off the charts.

positives; no way he'll leave when someone points out that second half is how arsenal play every week

negatives; probably won't play for england again

nice.

How many times did we touch the ball in their box in the second half? I guess he should have been dropping back to the halfway line to deliver neat little sideways passes to Cahill and Smalling or spraying it out of play on the wings like Henderson.

If Vardy wants to play with the ball in this set-up hes going to have to go and get it, standing in the Pen area like a spare Pr*ck at a wedding for a lot of the game when he could have been trying to win the ball. A number of his team-mates don't seem to want him there and ain't going to pass him the ball....The game lacked a Drinkwater....

Fair assessment. There was a couple of times he chased the ball down, but other than that he seemed to be waiting for something that was never going to happen!

Not surprised Vardy didn't get any service last night, our players are so far behind technically it's unreal. Having watched a lot of the top teams in the tournament they move the ball so fast with one touch football which in turn allows them to open up the opposition and create space in and around the penalty area. Watching the game last night, every England player that touched the ball needed a minimum of two touches, which allowed Slovakia to regain their shape and get men behind the ball. It's embarrassing that the FA think that our players need to be athletes to compete yet completely ignore the technical aspects of the game.

Way too many times you lean forward towards the TV from your seat expectant that England will keep going forward on the break but no... whoever has it just stops, turns inside and plays it back. So pointless, so boring

I genuinely think the players are scare to push forward in case they give possession away which is clearly a big no no for twat face Woy, and be dropped for the next game. No loves, possession does not win you games - THE CHAMPIONS OF ENGLAND proved that! 

:bounce:

Not great in the second half though. Pity. He was fantastic to watch in the first. They can't really leave him out, since Kane looks shafted. Wouldn't mind giving Rashford another go in our inevitably desperate last 20 minutes.

Not surprised Vardy didn't get any service last night, our players are so far behind technically it's unreal. Having watched a lot of the top teams in the tournament they move the ball so fast with one touch football which in turn allows them to open up the opposition and create space in and around the penalty area. Watching the game last night, every England player that touched the ball needed a minimum of two touches, which allowed Slovakia to regain their shape and get men behind the ball. It's embarrassing that the FA think that our players need to be athletes to compete yet completely ignore the technical aspects of the game.

Very good point, and one I've been saying for years. We are technically far behind, and not only to the better teams.

But we have fitness, pace and a physical strength which gets us through most games, and this usually brings victory against the poorer sides, but the better sides will always beat us. And when we try to play like we did against Slovakia it is not only painful to watch, but to all but the FA and hodgson, easy to remedy.

So, we have two choices. We either try to change English players to play like the Italians, Spanish, French or Germans, or....

We just go for it, entertain, play passionately and play Premier League style. With pace and width. With two proper wingers who can actually deliver a decent ball into the box. Play a system which players know. Play players in their correct positions. Pick players who play in those positions and not because they play for hodgson's favourite clubs.

Pardew had it spot on when Leicester beat Palace. He said we have balance, passion and pace without maybe having the best players.

But what made us successful can make England successful. But England, who do actually have these, decide not to go with them, but try to copy the technical style of the best teams, always meaning we come up short.

Townsend should be on one side, Albrighton the other. Then the two best goalscorers in the P/L last season might actually get some decent supply of chances. Not the thirty sideways passes going nowhere. Defoe, and even Carroll should have gone as the back up strikers, not some lightweight kid who has played for 5 minutes, and certainly not unfit, off the pace players, like Henderson & Wilshere.

But this is England, and the pathetic FA obviously have some hidden agenda to appoint inept, weak, managers who fit their world. Let's at least have a go and try to beat the world, or at least entertain and give us some hope.

Very good point, and one I've been saying for years. We are technically far behind, and not only to the better teams.

But we have fitness, pace and a physical strength which gets us through most games, and this usually brings victory against the poorer sides, but the better sides will always beat us. And when we try to play like we did against Slovakia it is not only painful to watch, but to all but the FA and hodgson, easy to remedy.

So, we have two choices. We either try to change English players to play like the Italians, Spanish, French or Germans, or....

We just go for it, entertain, play passionately and play Premier League style. With pace and width. With two proper wingers who can actually deliver a decent ball into the box. Play a system which players know. Play players in their correct positions. Pick players who play in those positions and not because they play for hodgson's favourite clubs.

Pardew had it spot on when Leicester beat Palace. He said we have balance, passion and pace without maybe having the best players.

But what made us successful can make England successful. But England, who do actually have these, decide not to go with them, but try to copy the technical style of the best teams, always meaning we come up short.

Townsend should be on one side, Albrighton the other. Then the two best goalscorers in the P/L last season might actually get some decent supply of chances. Not the thirty sideways passes going nowhere. Defoe, and even Carroll should have gone as the back up strikers, not some lightweight kid who has played for 5 minutes, and certainly not unfit, off the pace players, like Henderson & Wilshere.

But this is England, and the pathetic FA obviously have some hidden agenda to appoint inept, weak, managers who fit their world. Let's at least have a go and try to beat the world, or at least entertain and give us some hope.

Perhaps the appointment of someone like Big Sam would change this. It may not be tippy tappy stuff but it is effective and so very British.

Doesn't matter what striker plays for England they will remain anonymous because the ball is never played up to them in a meaningful way. This is what amazes me that the management team haven't looked at the stats of who has the ball and the areas where it is mostly passed around in and haven't tried to change it. It's unforgivable.

Wasn't Hodgson part of the statistics conference staged at the KP stadium earlier this year?... Ironic really.

Really? Because it's bloody difficult to finish when you haven't got the discipline to play up front. The most disappointing thing about yesterday was that Sturridge sat in front of Dier, leaving Vardy up front on his own. We know how Vardy plays, and Sturridge followed the Rooney model of years gone by: dropped too deep, was ineffective where he was and left anyone playing up isolated. Vardy wasn't in it much, but pretty much every touch was spot on. If Wilshere and Henderson had started off, we'd have been a much much better team with some attaching intent-as it was, Vardy was marked out of the game by two decent centre backs. I don't see what more he could have done...

To be fair, Sturridge scored against Wales after making a run from outside the box. If the others aren't making them, there's little chance of breaking through a stubborn defence.

Archived