Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
brucey

Schmeichel vs Zieler

5 minutes ago, NewEnglandFox said:

I don't understand why so many of you are convinced that Schmeichel would have saved every goal we've conceded that he's not in net for.

its the same reason they believe Kasper's distribution is so much better when most of his kicks go out of play or to their back 4

7 hours ago, ZeGuy said:

Can't believe my eyes.

Some of you have decided Zieler ain't any good, no matter what. Saving that shot is almost impossible because it was powerful, incredibly accurate and totally unexpected. The guy can try hundred times again he wouldn't get it in.

There was only one place that shot was going. The bloke picked the ball up on the halfway line and had one thing on his mind. As he gets to the area he can only go to the near post. Kasper saying he saves them 9/10 times even more suggests that he should be saving that shot. 

29 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

its the same reason they believe Kasper's distribution is so much better when most of his kicks go out of play or to their back 4

Which is absolute bollocks regarding going out of play. 

2 minutes ago, Bert said:

Which is absolute bollocks regarding going out of play. 

except it isn't far far too many go straight into touch, but people remember the few that work and think that's what always comes about

21 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

except it isn't far far too many go straight into touch, but people remember the few that work and think that's what always comes about

Bert is right ......Zieler gives me absolutely no confidence with the ball at his feet....never mind his distribution he looks a nervous wreck plus he oozes no confidence at all....

Schmeichel is different level completely which most now recognise

1 minute ago, Old Fox said:

Bert is right ......Zieler gives me absolutely no confidence with the ball at his feet....never mind his distribution he looks a nervous wreck plus he oozes no confidence at all....

Schmeichel is different level completely which most now recognise

1 has had 5 years the other had had about 5 games, if Kasper had been sold and Zieler was our dead cert no 1 all season you'd see more understanding with the back line, it won't happen unless he plays all the time though, which he probably won't

Just now, Jimmy said:

1 has had 5 years the other had had about 5 games, if Kasper had been sold and Zieler was our dead cert no 1 all season you'd see more understanding with the back line, it won't happen unless he plays all the time though, which he probably won't

That's your opinion....I disagree 

He is not a No.1 in my opinion.......agree to disagree .....a car crash waiting to happen....nervous, slow, not commanding, slow off his line...

16 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I don't how you can be critical for a no.2 goalkeeper - unless he's making really evident bloopers. It's a horrible role - you come in and have very little time to build relationship with defenders or impress the manager. 

They train 4 days a week for 40 weeks of the year. 

36 minutes ago, Bert said:

There was only one place that shot was going. The bloke picked the ball up on the halfway line and had one thing on his mind. As he gets to the area he can only go to the near post. Kasper saying he saves them 9/10 times even more suggests that he should be saving that shot. 

20/20 hindsight. Pros said the contrary. As I already said, anyone who played a bit football would know you can't do jack about this kind of shots. Sudden, powerful, accurate. Unless you can foresee the future. But I've read enough the last weeks to know that some people already judged and condemned the bloke. 

2 minutes ago, Old Fox said:

That's your opinion....I disagree 

He is not a No.1 in my opinion.......agree to disagree .....a car crash waiting to happen....nervous, slow, not commanding, slow off his line...

all of that stuff you mentioned changes when you have an understanding with your defence, you know their quirks and they know yours

Can't believe Ron's lack of emotion. it's like a real life Top Gun with Ice Man and Maverick with those two! 

When Ron was beaten he looked like he had just been beaten at tiddly winks by his great aunt.

Polar opposite with Kasper! 

46 minutes ago, Bert said:

They train 4 days a week for 40 weeks of the year. 

Daft argument when keepers spent 85% of their time on the training grounds practising alone. 

Building relationships in a defensive unit takes time over a set of competitive games. Take Morgan and Huth what took a bit of time. 

Similarly it's harsh to rate an outfield player who doesn't get a run of games because part of their battle is getting match fit.

2 hours ago, Bert said:

Erm... No.

He could've opted for a softer low strike into the far-left corner or tried to pass it across the goal area to his Bruges team mate.

I wonder what Schmeichel's save percentage is compared to Zieler's.

Get a grip people.

RRZ is not responsible for how shit we've been this season.  Nobody is using him as a scapegoat.  Some of us are just pointing out the obvious that he isnt very good and it appears from the panic in the back 4, that he doesnt have the confidence of the defence which is a massive problem.

Oh and the near post thing is not a myth at all.  He should have saved it and he probably would have done if his arms were at full stretch (no

idea why he seemed to pull away?).

Schmeichel is better than Zieler, fact. 

Thing is zielers always going to be fighting a losing battle here, he'll never get more than a month or 2 of first team football before he'll lose his spot. Like someone has said above Schmeichel has had about 5 years to cement his place, get used to the defenders and communicate etc, Zieler will never get that sort of time. He's clearly a good goalie and with a lot of first team football his confidence and understanding would grow massively, so do feel sorry for him being judged by fans that have seen him chucked in and out of the team a few times whenever Kasper is unavailable. If that was any other player, eg Schlupp or Ulloa or King to an extent, how can you expect them to walk in and suddenly produce confidence-oozing, 9/10 performances every week!

8 hours ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

Get a grip people.

RRZ is not responsible for how shit we've been this season.  Nobody is using him as a scapegoat.  Some of us are just pointing out the obvious that he isnt very good and it appears from the panic in the back 4, that he doesnt have the confidence of the defence which is a massive problem.

Oh and the near post thing is not a myth at all.  He should have saved it and he probably would have done if his arms were at full stretch (no

idea why he seemed to pull away?).

lol

Well, if there wasn't a Contradictory Post of the Year Award before, it's about time we created one!

1 hour ago, MC Prussian said:

lol

Well, if there wasn't a Contradictory Post of the Year Award before, it's about time we created one!

Not at all.  Read the sentence before. Its not his fault that we've been shit this season (so he's not a scapegoat).  As a team we haven't been good enough.  But he as an individual just isnt very good and the way people defend him as well as criticise him backs that up.

Citing that he was on the bench for Germany 3 years ago or that nobody else has decent back up goalkeepers aren't exactly the strongest stamps of approval.

48 minutes ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

Not at all.  Read the sentence before. Its not his fault that we've been shit this season (so he's not a scapegoat).  As a team we haven't been good enough.  But he as an individual just isnt very good and the way people defend him as well as criticise him backs that up.

Citing that he was on the bench for Germany 3 years ago or that nobody else has decent back up goalkeepers aren't exactly the strongest stamps of approval.

Well, my question is whether you'd point to other players as scapegoats, as well. That includes both individual players' threads as well as match or post-match ones.

Because based on my recollection, your criticism in general is currently aimed at one player only - Zieler.

I base my argument on Zieler being more than just a decent back-up keeper on his experience with Hannover 96 in the Bundesliga, where he performed brilliantly and was labelled one of the best goalkeepers in the league (and that with a shit team), praised for his reflexes and reactions.

He's been called "boring" and "unspectacular" on his line or hesitant to come out of the box before in his time in Germany, so people wanting him to perform miracles are barking up the wrong tree here.

Again, I suppose it's down to expectations.

All in all, it'd be great to hear from you what you make of our current back four.

Archived