Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
brucey

Schmeichel vs Zieler

How long is Kasper out for? Lots of news articles saying 6 weeks but not sure what the source is. Club just says "a spell on the sidelines".

If this is a scaphoid fracture (which it likely is) surely it should be longer than that? 3-6 months possibly :unsure:

He's not great in fairness and we do need schmeichel back but I agree with Matt Elliott on radio Leicester, how many goals have actually been his fault? He's fairly low on confidence like a few others but he's certainly not as bad as people make him out. No chance with the goals today, need to look at some of the amateurish defending 

4 minutes ago, brucey said:

How long is Kasper out for? Lots of news articles saying 6 weeks but not sure what the source is. Club just says "a spell on the sidelines".

If this is a scaphoid fracture (which it likely is) surely it should be longer than that? A few months possibly?

Kasper did it punching the ball,  so most likely to be a metacarpal. Scaphoid fractures tend to be due to falling on an outstretched hand. 

the goals don't seem to be his fault but how many great 'saves' has he made. we have relied on kasper to make saves where he had no right to do so. That's what makes a keeper stand out. Earning a point or two with a special save. 

The only one i recall from zieler was against Chelsea with that long range effort towards the top corner that he pushed around the post. All his other saves have been ones he should make (as far as I recall) 

17 minutes ago, chris_lcfc_85 said:

He's not great in fairness and we do need schmeichel back but I agree with Matt Elliott on radio Leicester, how many goals have actually been his fault? He's fairly low on confidence like a few others but he's certainly not as bad as people make him out. No chance with the goals today, need to look at some of the amateurish defending 

Kaspers organisation skills and ability to rush out would have stopped a fair few, the Bruge goal mid week and the second today wouldn't have been scored so easily.. I'm absolutely sure of that. Zieler looks like he's chilling out there, so laid back in comparison.

22 minutes ago, foxinsox said:

Kasper did it punching the ball,  so most likely to be a metacarpal. Scaphoid fractures tend to be due to falling on an outstretched hand. 

It looks like a scaphoid cast rather than a 4th/5th metacarpal cast, unfortunately.

Unless it's a fracture to the first metacarpal which is probably less likely than a scaphoid fracture. 

Leicester City Training and Press Conference : News Photo

12 minutes ago, brucey said:

It looks like a scaphoid cast rather than a 4th/5th metacarpal cast, unfortunately.

Unless it's a fracture to the first metacarpal which is probably less likely than a scaphoid fracture. 

Leicester City Training and Press Conference : News Photo

He had surgery so the cast may not be a reliable indicator. 

3 hours ago, Mark said:

Kaspers organisation skills and ability to rush out would have stopped a fair few, the Bruge goal mid week and the second today wouldn't have been scored so easily.. I'm absolutely sure of that. Zieler looks like he's chilling out there, so laid back in comparison.

its a fine line regarding the brugge goal and midds. second today. both really good finishes but zieler seems one of those keepers that makes a decision and sticks with it so if the ball beats him there is nothing he can do.

the wba winner schmeichel comes out and ends that 9 times out of ten.

some keepers defend the goal like their life depends on it and will make themselves big and get anything they can between themselves and the ball

schmeichel fits that description as do most keepers worth their salt but zieler seems content to make a half hearted dive or "go through the motions and if they score then fair play" kind of attitude.

maybe im being overly critical because i just dont rate him and obviously i dont know what kind of person he is but he doesnt appear to have a strong mentality???

And people said Kasper's distribution and kicking was poor lol .

Zieler makes me nervous when he gets the ball. Not sure if he's still trying to adapt to the way the game is played here in that there's a need for quick breaks and getting the ball out early for players, even if it's to full backs to get the ball moving. He takes ages and I think it was against WBA where the striker actually got a block on one of his kicks because he took so long to kick it. One of these days a striker will catch him off guard, get too close and it'll bounce or roll in to the net off after Zieler has kicked it.

However can't really blame him for the goals. It looked like Negredo scuffed his shot for the first and the defence were to blame for Negredo's second. Far too much time and space for him to pick his spot past Zieler.

Can't wait til Kasper is back really. The gulf in ability and talent is clear. Zieler is a good goal-keeper but Kasper is so much better in our side. 

12 hours ago, st albans fox said:

the goals don't seem to be his fault but how many great 'saves' has he made. we have relied on kasper to make saves where he had no right to do so. That's what makes a keeper stand out. Earning a point or two with a special save. 

The only one i recall from zieler was against Chelsea with that long range effort towards the top corner that he pushed around the post. All his other saves have been ones he should make (as far as I recall) 

Early stages of the West Brom game, finger tips from Phillips I think. Class save.

Lads we were conceding goals with Kasper in the side too. It's important not to be over critical.

Zieler is clearly not impressing, but that's why he was bought as a number 2 and I think we can all agree he is better than Schwarzer.

As far as Hamer is concerned he just doesn't want to play football anymore it seems. We signed him when he was Charlton's player of the year (and was he in Championship team of the year)? Yet he is content being third choice. I'd be careful about suggesting he is the personality we need in goal instead of Zieler who may yet improve.

8 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Early stages of the West Brom game, finger tips from Phillips I think. Class save.

thanks - I was thinking that I had missed one

didn't affect the game in the sense that they scored first anyway but it was a save which he wouldn't be expected to make which was my point. Guess you never know how important they are unless its really late in the game and it's tight. 

Granted his kicking isn't great but he doesn't get much help from the back four. Twice in the first half Simpson passed it back to him and put it on his wrong foot. 

Ben Hamer seems to have improved massively too since he hasn't been playing. I'm pretty sure he looked poor when he played for us. 

26 minutes ago, adam said:

Granted his kicking isn't great but he doesn't get much help from the back four. Twice in the first half Simpson passed it back to him and put it on his wrong foot. 

Ben Hamer seems to have improved massively too since he hasn't been playing. I'm pretty sure he looked poor when he played for us. 

Disagree. Hamer did well for us bar one mistake against Spurs and it was accepted that his kicking was a bit ropey compared to Kasper. Ronny Rob's kicking is no better however and he neither commands his box, communicates effectively with his defence or plays with any urgency. He seems to dive with half a thought about the cameras watching him. 

34 minutes ago, GaelicFox said:

Cracking back up 

but Kasper is different gravy 

if kasper distributed better he would be at one of the worlds top clubs 

He's not yet demonstrated that he is a cracking back up to be honest. Seems to live off this 3rd choice for Germany ticket. He's nowhere near Neuer or Ter Stegen!  

25 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

He's not yet demonstrated that he is a cracking back up to be honest. Seems to live off this 3rd choice for Germany ticket. He's nowhere near Neuer or Ter Stegen!  

Comparing Bayern's standout keeper and Ter Stegen of Barcelona fame with a guy who got relegated with Hannover last season! lol

I like people who answer their own questions in the same sentence or shortly thereafter.

He was unlucky with the first yesterday. Complete fluke. Probably should've made himself bigger for their second but that's being over critical. Just isn't filling anyone with confidence and the effect it's having on the team is huge. 

Archived