Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
brucey

Schmeichel vs Zieler

should he have saved the shot at the near post? YES

is Kasper a much better keeper? 100% yes

should we get behind Zieler while he is in the team? yes

goalkeepers make mistakes in matches, we have all seen that, but as long as he stays focused and alert and tries hard that is all anyone can ask of him, he certainly doesn't deserve to be castigated, what about the defence that shouldn't have let the player get his shot away

24 minutes ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

Not at all.  Read the sentence before. Its not his fault that we've been shit this season (so he's not a scapegoat).  As a team we haven't been good enough.  But he as an individual just isnt very good and the way people defend him as well as criticise him backs that up.

Citing that he was on the bench for Germany 3 years ago or that nobody else has decent back up goalkeepers aren't exactly the strongest stamps of approval.

I don't think he is poor, I think he is a decent back up and has done reasonably well. I don't think many keepers would have saved it and people are focusing in the wrong area for criticism. Fuchs made a big error in the lead up to that goal but it seems because people have already decided he is shit, RRZ takes the flak.

What the Hell is Zieler supposed to do? Oppositions are carving us open for fun, in most part. He's the last line of defence, where is the defence in front of him?!

AS A TEAM, we have gone back to the bad old days of Pearson's Premiership tenure. We can't keep the goals out one end and ain't scoring em the other.

Thats not Zieler's fault. It's a team issue.

25 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

What the Hell is Zieler supposed to do? Oppositions are carving us open for fun, in most part. He's the last line of defence, where is the defence in front of him?!

AS A TEAM, we have gone back to the bad old days of Pearson's Premiership tenure. We can't keep the goals out one end and ain't scoring em the other.

Thats not Zieler's fault. It's a team issue.

Whilst I'm not sure we've entirely reverted as you suggest, I largely agree. I'm still wondering how people are so confidently saying he should have saved that shot, I've not heard one pro or anyone connected with the pro game say the same. 

You can tell Schmeichel is more positively different as he communicates more with determination and drives both himself and the defence forward and better in different situations.

This is currently lacking in Zieler's game, plus he seems quite slow to react at times.

I do wonder whether we miss Kasper as a motivator. He's one of very few LCFC players who are at all vocal.

In general, I'm not in favour of footballers who mouth off at their teammates all the time, but I do get the impression that Kasper's shouting wakes other players up sometimes.

While we have some high-energy players and plenty who are calm in a crisis, we don't have many fiery, aggressive motivators.

18 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

Erm... No.

He could've opted for a softer low strike into the far-left corner or tried to pass it across the goal area to his Bruges team mate.

I wonder what Schmeichel's save percentage is compared to Zieler's.

Erm... Yes. 

There was was no one else up in support with him. Running at that speed with a defender breathing down your neck there's no way it's going across the goal. 

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

I do wonder whether we miss Kasper as a motivator. He's one of very few LCFC players who are at all vocal.

In general, I'm not in favour of footballers who mouth off at their teammates all the time, but I do get the impression that Kasper's shouting wakes other players up sometimes.

While we have some high-energy players and plenty who are calm in a crisis, we don't have many fiery, aggressive motivators.

I always seemed to play better for the pub team on a Sunday then I did for the works team on a Saturday ....    and I'm sure a lot of that was to do with Bob in goal.   He was on your case all the fookin time ...   after the match he kept it up in the showers and if you had a really bad game he carried it on at the pub.     Lovely lad Bob.

3 hours ago, Strokes said:

I don't think he is poor, I think he is a decent back up and has done reasonably well. I don't think many keepers would have saved it and people are focusing in the wrong area for criticism. Fuchs made a big error in the lead up to that goal but it seems because people have already decided he is shit, RRZ takes the flak.

I haven't decided he's shit - I'm just going on what I see. For me, he isn't commanding enough and rarely looks like he communicates. He sticks to his line too much for me - at Watford away last week Simpson was ushering the ball back and Zieler didn't move which led to giving away a corner. A couple of times Morgan has opted to bring the ball down instead of passing back where as with Kasper he knocks it back at any angle - again, makes me wonder about the defences confidence in Zieler.

I understand the defence naturally might not be as confident with a new goalkeeper but Zieler has to ensure he has their confidence. Standing on his line, not coming for crosses and generally not dominating his 6 yard box aren't doing him any favours here.

1 hour ago, Bert said:

Erm... Yes. 

There was was no one else up in support with him. Running at that speed with a defender breathing down your neck there's no way it's going across the goal. 

Ok, Bert.

I can point to two more options (or even three):

Leicester Bruges 2-1.png

Can you find them?

4 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

You can tell Schmeichel is more positively different as he communicates more with determination and drives both himself and the defence forward and better in different situations.

This is currently lacking in Zieler's game, plus he seems quite slow to react at times.

The guy almost never played and yet people are expecting from him, within 5 games, to lead a back four in Championship mode, the same way and as efficient as Kasper whom it took years to build. It's really beyond me.

As for being slow to react, the header he saved at point blank range against Watford in the end of the second half, denying them the 3-1 lead, would tell me otherwise.

1 hour ago, MC Prussian said:

Ok, Bert.

I can point to two more options (or even three):

Leicester Bruges 2-1.png

Can you find them?

Let's hear them then. I'm sure they'll be ridiculously pedantic to try and prove your point. If you want to be pedantic lets question the position of Zieler. Don't leave the gap at the near post... And if you want to say that the opposition player nearest Simpson could've got there please remember the pace the lad was running at. 

1 minute ago, Bert said:

Let's hear them then. I'm sure they'll be ridiculously pedantic to try and prove your point. If you want to be pedantic lets question the position of Zieler. Don't leave the gap at the near post... 

he's in the right position the only shot that can beat him there is the 1 that did and its also the hardest to pull off with the power and accuracy needed, Kasper wouldn't have saved it either, he said so himself on BT

9 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

4368391.jpg

Really? The only thing he did wrong was mess up for the free kick at home to Spurs. He basically won us the game away at stoke in what I think was his first ever start? Remind me what Ziler has done apart from nothing.

1 minute ago, dannythefox said:

Really? The only thing he did wrong was mess up for the free kick at home to Spurs. He basically won us the game away at stoke in what I think was his first ever start? Remind me what Ziler has done apart from nothing.

remind me how the rest of the team were playing at the time of Hamer's debut and Zieler's games, come into a side that it confident and playing well its infectious and spreads to everyone else.

Also that freed kick was a pretty big **** up worse than anything Zieler has supposedly done wrong, Hamer was also dropped by Bristol City last season for playing shite and sent back to us

Forget everything then but these two things he should never have got beaten at the near post on Wednesday and could of easily come out and got that Drinkwater back pass against West Brom that was shocking keeping at any level, our Sunday league keeper would of come out for that.

2 minutes ago, dannythefox said:

Forget everything then but these two things he should never have got beaten at the near post on Wednesday and could of easily come out and got that Drinkwater back pass against West Brom that was shocking keeping at any level, our Sunday league keeper would of come out for that.

we played Tuesday and it was a rocket into the top corner, sometimes you just have to say as a fan great goal and move on and be no he couldn't have got the back pass as it was about 20 yards away from him to one of the quickest players on the pitch

It's weird...his positioning looks great pre shot. I think Kasper was right: getting beat is getting beat, whichever post it is. Don't want him to stick too closely to near post for fear of being chastised.

To me it looked like he throws a bit of a weak arm at it though. Thought the same with Watford's second. he doesn't get the extension Kasper gets.

6 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

Well, my question is whether you'd point to other players as scapegoats, as well. That includes both individual players' threads as well as match or post-match ones.

Because based on my recollection, your criticism in general is currently aimed at one player only - Zieler.

I base my argument on Zieler being more than just a decent back-up keeper on his experience with Hannover 96 in the Bundesliga, where he performed brilliantly and was labelled one of the best goalkeepers in the league (and that with a shit team), praised for his reflexes and reactions.

He's been called "boring" and "unspectacular" on his line or hesitant to come out of the box before in his time in Germany, so people wanting him to perform miracles are barking up the wrong tree here.

Again, I suppose it's down to expectations.

All in all, it'd be great to hear from you what you make of our current back four.

This is a thread about Zieler hence me not mentioning others.

My thoughts on the back 4 are as follows:-

Simpson - Pretty consistent but he was one in the summer that if I was looking to move the squad on and really look to solidify us as a top 6-10 team, would need replacing.

Huth - His physicality was his greatest asset and that is being scrutinised in general more and more so his game is suffering.  

Morgan - He's about half the player he was last year.  Looks uncomfortable, indecisive, and most surprisingly, weak.

Fuchs - Has everything apart from pace.  Performing well but not having a regular partner on that side isnt helping him.  

In general the back 4 are suffering dreadfully from having no protection in front (Kante) and at the minute, when under pressure, are suffering from having no confidence in the keeper.

Archived