Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
brucey

Schmeichel vs Zieler

On 08/11/2016 at 11:42, LAprice_ said:

Imagine going from being Germany's third choice to people wanting him to be third choice behind BEN HAMER. I give up. 

Based on both their appearances for LCFC there seems to be very little between the two. Yes Zieler's been 3rd choice for Germany but guess what, Scotty Carson has played for England and he's utter dogs**t. Ultimately he might turn out to be the better reserve but we've not seen much to back that up yet.

On 08/11/2016 at 12:00, Papasmurf said:

Pure comedy that some people think Hamer is better than somebody who has been capped by Germany.

As above. I've yet to see the quality that shows he's anything other than a reserve keeper who is no major competition for Kasper and is closer in ability to Hamer.

As much as it was a decent finish I think it was made to look better than it was, saveable that's for sure. RRZ shouldn't be getting beaten there. Doesn't look like anyone has any confidence in him. Could that be down to how Kasper is and they miss what he gives? Either way, I can't wait for Kasper to return. 

31 minutes ago, tyfox said:

I was behind the goal and it should have been saved, maybe his positioning was slightly out or it caught him by surprise . These things happen I suppose but it didn't cost us today luckily

The worst thing is that he pulls his hands away from the ball as though he believes it is going to fly wide! 

Really poor keeping.

The lad struck it awfully well, but Ron-Robert will be disappointed with that.

I think he looks like a decent keeper struggling to find his feet with a back four that are very, very used to Kasper, and Kaspers noisy style, when the side as a whole are also not playing that well. Maybe he could have done with six months to settle in, rather than being thrown in pretty much immediately, but I think he will improve given time.

No chance of him displacing Kasper as first choice at the mo, because of this shaky start.

Guys pinged the shot top corner, not an easy one to get to in that space of time.

There was at least 2 or 3 times where you actually heard him call for the ball but a defender took it from him. Fuchs and Huth I remember. Putting pressure on us by conceding throw ins and corners when they didn't have to.

He's fine as a stand in, but I think the defenders have decided Kasper will remain number one if Claudio hasn't already.

I cannot believe those of you stating, with a collective straight face, that he should have saved that. I think I can say with some confidence that a shot hit from that distance, at that velocity and with such precision has every right to go in the net.

But then again, I wasn't at the ground, and therefore have no authority for my point of view - like that makes a shred of difference. However, I do realise that having someone to blame is VERY important.

58 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Guys pinged the shot top corner, not an easy one to get to in that space of time.

There was at least 2 or 3 times where you actually heard him call for the ball but a defender took it from him. Fuchs and Huth I remember. Putting pressure on us by conceding throw ins and corners when they didn't have to.

He's fine as a stand in, but I think the defenders have decided Kasper will remain number one if Claudio hasn't already.

Just shows the lack of trust they have in him for me. 

9 hours ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

Definitely should have saved that.  

Also it's awful to see that the defence has no confidence in him whatsoever.

Sorry to say it again but he's pure balls.

Again, I wonder how many other keepers would have saved such a freak shot. It was precise and bloody fast. I'm not sure even Buffon would've picked that one out.

My take on the situation is that the problem lies with our back four, in particular Morgan, Huth and Fuchs. I could equally say they ooze as much confidence as an elk trapped in ice.

Yesterday, they were so far up near the halfway line that about 70 % of our own half was left empty/unprotected. We were trying to pile more pressure on Bruges, but it backfired when we got hit on the counter.

None of the three aforementioned defenders is/was fast enough to cope with that - we were beaten by the same measure we employed so successfully last season, because back then, we used to allow the opposition to take control of the game for most part and the majority of our title-winning campaign.

10 minutes ago, Bert said:

Yeah definitely. Just got to hope we can muddle through till Schmeichel is back. Hopefully as he gets to know the squad over the next 6-18 months that trust and understanding will build up/

2 hours ago, filbertway said:

I agree he did shout a couple of times but there was a moment when Wes was gonna let him come for it and he didn't so Wes put it out for a corner. I don't think the defence trust him

13 minutes ago, tyfox said:

I agree he did shout a couple of times but there was a moment when Wes was gonna let him come for it and he didn't so Wes put it out for a corner. I don't think the defence trust him

It's not really for the defenders to make that call, if the goalkeeper wants it they will shout. It makes me think that the defenders are in auto-pilot and just defending how Kasper expects them to. Which again just really shows that it takes time to build understanding between a defensive unit.

1 hour ago, Bert said:

Think it's hard enough for a keeper to join a club in a new country when that defence has been used to predominantly the same voice and style over the last few years.

on top of that he's joined at a time when the team is low on confidence,form and the centre backs look like they've never played football 

let's not behave as if when kasper was in goal this season we haven't made massive defence slip ups - see Morgan at Chelsea for the first goal, or the long ball at the start of the second half against Chelsea where Pedro slipped in because our lumbering giants as usual didn't deal with things

There is no way Zieler should've saved that goal, if he had it would've been an unbelievable save.

The fact he is either very indecisive or his defenders don't trust him when coming to get the ball is a huge worry for me though

Thought it spoke volumes about Kasper when he and Michael Owen were asked about it on BT Sport after the match. Owen giving it biggun that a keeper should never get beaten on his near post. Kasper more or less instantly grimaces and argues that the near post thing is a myth and if Zieler was ever going to be beaten, that was probably the only place Izquierdo could put it. I agree with this completely; granted the blocking was nonexistent but no one expected the striker to launch an excocet missile with such accuracy!

6 minutes ago, HathernFox said:

Thought it spoke volumes about Kasper when he and Michael Owen were asked about it on BT Sport after the match. Owen giving it biggun that a keeper should never get beaten on his near post. Kasper more or less instantly grimaces and argues that the near post thing is a myth and if Zieler was ever going to be beaten, that was probably the only place Izquierdo could put it. I agree with this completely; granted the blocking was nonexistent but no one expected the striker to launch an excocet missile with such accuracy!

didn't Kasper also say something about Zieler saving 9 out of 10 of those shots in training though?

9 minutes ago, brucey said:

didn't Kasper also say something about Zieler saving 9 out of 10 of those shots in training though?

Can't believe my eyes.

Some of you have decided Zieler ain't any good, no matter what. Saving that shot is almost impossible because it was powerful, incredibly accurate and totally unexpected. The guy can try hundred times again he wouldn't get it in.

Goals like that always look worse for the goalkeeper on replays/slowed down. For example, the infamous Giggs goal v Arsenal in the FA Cup. It was a hell of a strike in all fairness. 

He's not as good as Schmiechel, but aside from De Gea, Lloris and co, who is? The relationship between KS, Huth and Morgan wasn't formed overnight, and Zieler has still only played a handful of games. The problems that have lead to the goals we've conceded go far beyond Zieler. 

Archived