Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Demarai Gray

Gray, especially as he's English, could be worth 40m+ if we get some consistency that matches his clear ability.

It will be truly a travesty for this club if we cant get the full potential out of both Gray and Diabate, I look at most teams in the league and they haven't got two wingers especially at their young ages who have the ability to do what they can do. Not sure we seem to realise what we've actually got on our hands here.

Puel or whoever needs to be getting the best out of them, I personally think they play better higher up the pitch and that's where we played better last night in comparison to previous weeks. 

5 hours ago, Monsell1976 said:

This is a forum where we give our opinions, at what point did I state it was a fact rather than opinion, my opinions are gray has been given lots of opportunities, and as much as everyone bangs on about how great he could be, he has look far from being anything other than an average player, in an average team, and time and time again, fails to take the chances he’s given, and then is in the press mentioning lack of game time.

Then touching on the Young English player, and throwing his career away.

Gray performs well for England, he gets a £50,000 a week contract, and does little performances wise, to try and force himself into a regular starting place, and my opinion is, we always do it with young English prospects, give them loads of money, the lifestyle of a millionaire footballer, at a young age, before they actually prove they are any good, and in my opinion it spoils them, as they believe the hype around them, by the people who they pay to blow smoke up their arses, and they lose track of the job the are supposed to do, or should I say progress as they should, so therefore generalising my opinion, not singling gray out,  but I can see it in gray, in my opinion.

But now I will single him out, he has been here long enough to prove he has what it takes, for me and in my opinion, he’s not good enough, and for £ 50, 000 a week, we could spend that on a player who could add something more.

I think we were mad to turn down 25 mil last summer, and I think we would be mad to turn down an offer for him this summer, his career has stalled here, he offers nothing we don’t already have, and maybe it’s best for his career to go elsewhere, to see if he can reach the level some suspect he can.

I dont disagree with what you say,but I just think its far too early,to give up on him yet.

I said at the beginning of this season,he needs to Start to take his opportunities,and be

reaching his promised(not full) potential by ca December next season.

He has,it must be said,older experiences players,also not pulling their weight,in fact the Bbone

of our squad have Been misfiring,Chilwell,Nacho and Gray,now  the New Diabate,need that

experienced Core around them,but it just aint been coming or happening.

Gray has made great runs,a couple of superb 1st move assists,then also been Seen to be

exasperated,by suddenly nobody supporting,or available to lay-off to in a forward Pressing

Positions,then he goes off he boil,and gets too easily disheartened. At the beginning of the season

Vardy communicated more,and encouraged him,when something didnt Quite work,Ditto Chilwell

and Nacho,our older experiences players,have neither been heavily critical,nor congratulatory,on

good or misjudgements.

Its the younger players,in my opinion,even when they go into a silly strop,are not getting a reaction,

one reason,I havent wanted Morgan to be Captain.Even when the likes of Terry or Adams had

Bad days themselves,the younger/ new players had 1-2 central Figur es they could look to,for

a clap or when required a bollocking,I believe one Sees the conclusion of natural further developement,

often being strangled or restrained ,in alot of Teams who find themselves struggling for Form or

Consistency...A great example for me is not only within our own,but Zaha at Palace,in his younger years.

Like Grays promise of potential,we now see in this one game with Diabate,some Posters expecting

the finished artical. Gray is for me 1-2 seasons off,that Mark up date,Diabate might just click in

that tick earlier,he doesnt have the baggage of being an English youth international,but I hope

he can develope Next season,then the future is bright if we can keep him.

But both need a frontfoot,forward driving midfield,because no matter what potential and Pace

these 2 have,sewn seeds will again Fall on stoney ground.

That lack of midfield gumption and quality has also failed Vardy and Mahrez imparticulaly!!

Lets stop and think,..our nealy side has Seen Vardy with 18 goals and Mahrez with 12,

what if..??

2 hours ago, gerrytaggart said:

Grays main problem is his resting bitch face which the fanbase dont seem to have taken to.

If he was a natural smiler he would have been given way more slack.

#juststatingfactsbro

Its not so silly,like Ronaldo,D.Ali they have inviting facial expresions you just want to SLAP.

And an arrogant Projection...Many Fans go more on that ,then  actually ignore their qualities.

Then Start to give them undeserved negative notices.

5 hours ago, lcfc sheff said:

Also, an attitude problem seems a stretch of the imagination, he's captained the England U21s

Yet he was the first one off the pitch last night. Barely crossed the half-way line towards the kop. Didn't join in with the mini lap of appreciation at the end with the rest of the players. So yes, he and along with his Instagram account have an attitude problem. 

Just now, maynefox said:

Yet he was the first one off the pitch last night. Barely crossed the half-way line towards the kop. Didn't join in with the mini lap of appreciation at the end with the rest of the players. So yes, he and along with his Instagram account have an attitude problem. 

Not sure our fans have exactly helped him there, I'd be pissed all factors considering 

2 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

Not sure our fans have exactly helped him there, I'd be pissed all factors considering 

Would you? 

Just shows where he is ego is. Most of the fans criticism have been totally justified this season. 

All the playing players showed their appreciation. The fans were great last night. It was a fantastic result and a great night too. Even Iborra stayed out longer than Gray. I think it's a disgrace. He throws his toys out because the fans are criticising him for his poor consistency levels this year? He will not get as far as he thinks because of this.

Last home game of the season. The players responded well to last Saturday and showed their support at the end, as we did too. If I was Morgan I would be tearing into Gray for not joining in on that. 

I clearly think he has the talent, and the physical attributes to be a really good player. I’m not sure if it is coaching or work ethic letting him down. I know it’s not the same, but he tears it up for England U21s and I wonder if he took the same confidence into first team situations. We’ve seen glimpses of it, that’s breathtaking counter attack vs Everton, but it’s too few and far between. 

I am happy to stick with him, he’s still very young, and still learning. Hopefully a preseason with a more technical set of coaching staff (whoever they might be - could be the ones we have now) will see him progress 

Edited by HoustonFox

I think we should keep hold of him. Mahrez will most likely leave in the summer and we have a bunch of young wingers/wide forwards who I think need a chance to develop. His best chance of gaining consistency is by gaining more game time

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Izzetwicked said:

See, this is just absolute nonsense isn't it - what exactly are you basing it off? 

It's fine to criticise Gray's performances this season; I've been miffed by him all year for struggling to take his chances when he's had them. But to reduce it to him being a player who "thinks he's made it big" is just utter drivel. 

There's frustration all around him at the moment: from us fans, because we know there's something there; from management, for the same reasons; from him, because he doesn't get the regular starts he wants but probably knows deep down that his displays haven't warranted them either. He's always been in the unfortunate position of playing for one place - Mahrez is just too good, simple - and he'll never be the reliable 7/10 grafter that Albrighton is. Diabate has come in and more or less done what Gray managed at the start, making for even more competition. 

Honestly, I think we'll probably sell if a good offer comes in this summer. No manager has ever been able to trust him for weeks on end, and he hasn't really improved since those bright sub appearances in 2015/16. But let's not shoot him down with daft sweeping generalisations.  

It isn't, though.

It isn't based purely on on-pitch reactions (in my case at least.) It's an opinion constructed by that COMBINED WITH testimonials from people that work with him in a sponsorship capacity.

Very arrogant guy by all accounts. "Aren't most footballers?", you say.

Well yes, but Gray has been singled out to me as particularly arrogant by people that work with/for footballers as a living.

3 hours ago, maynefox said:

Spot on, Billy big bollox who is a legend in his own lunchtime, thought his attitude at the end of the game was p*** poor and just about summed him up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ian S said:

Spot on, Billy big bollox who is a legend in his own lunchtime, thought his attitude at the end of the game was p*** poor and just about summed him up.

Our maybe he was ill give that he and Diabate both were earlier in the week

• Like 1

I’d like to see him given a sustained run on the right. He’s looked good there in the past getting around the left back, without his signature move on the left of cutting back to the right and firing it high and wide.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

I’ve teased about binning him off a few times but in honesty he will surely come good. My biggest complaint is his miserable face, if he smiled more I think people would make less assumptions about his attitude. 

He’s been with us two and a half years now, and I’m not convinced he has improved in that time. Puel clearly wanted to back him and he looked decent for one or two games last autumn but he seems to have gone backwards in the last few months. Certainly no need to get rid, but neither would i classify him in the ‘keep at all costs’ category.

15 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

I dont disagree with what you say,but I just think its far too early,to give up on him yet.

I said at the beginning of this season,he needs to Start to take his opportunities,and be

reaching his promised(not full) potential by ca December next season.

He has,it must be said,older experiences players,also not pulling their weight,in fact the Bbone

of our squad have Been misfiring,Chilwell,Nacho and Gray,now  the New Diabate,need that

experienced Core around them,but it just aint been coming or happening.

Gray has made great runs,a couple of superb 1st move assists,then also been Seen to be

exasperated,by suddenly nobody supporting,or available to lay-off to in a forward Pressing

Positions,then he goes off he boil,and gets too easily disheartened. At the beginning of the season

Vardy communicated more,and encouraged him,when something didnt Quite work,Ditto Chilwell

and Nacho,our older experiences players,have neither been heavily critical,nor congratulatory,on

good or misjudgements.

Its the younger players,in my opinion,even when they go into a silly strop,are not getting a reaction,

one reason,I havent wanted Morgan to be Captain.Even when the likes of Terry or Adams had

Bad days themselves,the younger/ new players had 1-2 central Figur es they could look to,for

a clap or when required a bollocking,I believe one Sees the conclusion of natural further developement,

often being strangled or restrained ,in alot of Teams who find themselves struggling for Form or

Consistency...A great example for me is not only within our own,but Zaha at Palace,in his younger years.

Like Grays promise of potential,we now see in this one game with Diabate,some Posters expecting

the finished artical. Gray is for me 1-2 seasons off,that Mark up date,Diabate might just click in

that tick earlier,he doesnt have the baggage of being an English youth international,but I hope

he can develope Next season,then the future is bright if we can keep him.

But both need a frontfoot,forward driving midfield,because no matter what potential and Pace

these 2 have,sewn seeds will again Fall on stoney ground.

That lack of midfield gumption and quality has also failed Vardy and Mahrez imparticulaly!!

Lets stop and think,..our nealy side has Seen Vardy with 18 goals and Mahrez with 12,

what if..??

Diabate is very much like gray development wise, they both need to develop,  the difference I see in the two is work ethic.

Diabate to his credit covers about every blade of grass, and works his socks off, but makes the wrong decisions, which is to be expected, as he’s learning, and if anything is probably to unselfish, if he had the confidence to go alone, rather than play a pass or cross that’s not really on.

Then there’s gray, does he put enough in, he’s been here for years now, and I don’t see a difference from the player that came from Birmingham.

There have been time where he so greedy, and totally the opposite to my comments about diabate.

For me diabate and gray are very similar players, in similar position, one has been brought in, in January to develop, the other was brought in a couple of years ago to develop, and hasn’t, so would personally cash in on gray, he’s had enough chances for me, and see how diabate gets on, just don’t see the point in having both

Mr Fat tw@t nobody from Syston looks like an "I am the best I am always having a great time look at me posing for this pic nobber" if you look at his FB profile.  People are idiots on social media even if they have literally no right to be and are decent people in real life.  I can safely say if that if I was a 21 year old PL footballer then my social media persona would be an absolute, "Grade A" cvnt.  People make me laugh.  Someone says "I am offended by that sexist comment" and the "PC too far" brigade jump on them and tell them to lighten up "it's only a joke" yet this same group seem to be the ones offended by a 21 year old's Instagram.  I don't want to live on this world anymore.  X

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Monsell1976 said:

Diabate is very much like gray development wise, they both need to develop,  the difference I see in the two is work ethic.

Diabate to his credit covers about every blade of grass, and works his socks off, but makes the wrong decisions, which is to be expected, as he’s learning, and if anything is probably to unselfish, if he had the confidence to go alone, rather than play a pass or cross that’s not really on.

Then there’s gray, does he put enough in, he’s been here for years now, and I don’t see a difference from the player that came from Birmingham.

There have been time where he so greedy, and totally the opposite to my comments about diabate.

For me diabate and gray are very similar players, in similar position, one has been brought in, in January to develop, the other was brought in a couple of years ago to develop, and hasn’t, so would personally cash in on gray, he’s had enough chances for me, and see how diabate gets on, just don’t see the point in having both

Yeh I agree that both Gray and Diabate are both similarly players still in development, neither have shown a consistency or enough end product to confirm a starting place. The left wing position is still Albrighton’s for me.

22 hours ago, lcfc sheff said:

Gray, especially as he's English, could be worth 40m+ if we get some consistency that matches his clear ability.

It will be truly a travesty for this club if we cant get the full potential out of both Gray and Diabate, I look at most teams in the league and they haven't got two wingers especially at their young ages who have the ability to do what they can do. Not sure we seem to realise what we've actually got on our hands here.

Puel or whoever needs to be getting the best out of them, I personally think they play better higher up the pitch and that's where we played better last night in comparison to previous weeks. 

The crux of the matter is - when's the last time an English player moved abroad for that kind of money?

Or do you see an English player in Gray's age bracket moving abroad for that sum any time soon?

European clubs are not willing to pay that, because their scouting system focuses on Africa and South America mostly. They'd rather develop their own talent from there or buy from other European clubs for less money. They'd never pay the kind of wages Premier League clubs do.

A player like Gray, as negative as it may sound, would only be able to command that sort of money if he were to switch to a bigger Premier League club.

Then again, which club in the Top Six would realistically need a player like Gray? I'd say none.

So, either he puts his head down, works hard on his skills, endurance, vision and teamwork abilities and makes it here.

OR he goes to a foreign club, for (a lot) less money than the £40m you just mentioned.

OR he chooses to be another Berahino, full of himself, but slowly and steadily moving down the ladder of possibilities.

English players are living the life of a bubble, hardly need to struggle as much as foreign players do, who are required to settle in in a new environment, have to learn a new language, etc.

English players need to come out of that comfort zone and accept the fact that football is played outside the Premier League also.

Edited by MC Prussian

1 hour ago, MC Prussian said:

The crux of the matter is - when's the last time an English player moved abroad for that kind of money?

Or do you see an English player in Gray's age bracket moving abroad for that sum any time soon?

European clubs are not willing to pay that, because their scouting system focuses on Africa and South America mostly. They'd rather develop their own talent from there or buy from other European clubs for less money. They'd never pay the kind of wages Premier League clubs do.

A player like Gray, as negative as it may sound, would only be able to command that sort of money if he were to switch to a bigger Premier League club.

Then again, which club in the Top Six would realistically need a player like Gray? I'd say none.

So, either he puts his head down, works hard on his skills, endurance, vision and teamwork abilities and makes it here.

OR he goes to a foreign club, for (a lot) less money than the £40m you just mentioned.

OR he chooses to be another Berahino, full of himself, but slowly and steadily moving down the ladder of possibilities.

English players are living the life of a bubble, hardly need to struggle as much as foreign players do, who are required to settle in in a new environment, have to learn a new language, etc.

English players need to come out of that comfort zone and accept the fact that football is played outside the Premier League also.

I completely agree with all you say, some part of me wishes he'd go to somewhere like the Bundesliga and make a name for himself there, the likes of Sancho and Lookman seem to be doing well and they aren't better players (will be most probably soon though) 

In terms of a top 6 club wanting Gray, he has been linked with Spurs constantly, makes me think there is something in it based on Poch's reputation. 

my point is I feel the club is failing him, we need a manager to man manage him more than anything, he's clearly got the ability and talent but doesn't have the mindset at times. As much as I don't like Harry Redknapp, his kinda management would help Gray, Not that I want him anywhere near this club but you get the point.

2 hours ago, Monsell1976 said:

If we can get it to work,I see nothing wrong with...

Vardy..

Nacho

Gray.                         Diabate.

This season for me  was for Albrighton to be the mainstay Wingback..

Next season, Gray ,Diabate should be cutting Albrighton out,and force it

that "he" is the cover.

Unless Nacho stumbles and misfires,then I see Diabate moving into Nachos Position,

then Gray and Albrighton,starting out as 1st choices.

Or and thats a big OR,we find a great no10 and top midfield playmaker then Front 6 will take on

another Perspective.

Whatever we need that competition and quality for selection,be pushed up an higher notch,

hopefully with these 2 showing they deserve to be at the forefront.

Diabate looses his innocence next season ,so he will Start to pick up baggage that has shadowed

Gray this season.

I hope next season  both have a circle of more experienced quality  players to draw on,and receive

that encouraging advice from the pitch on gameday,that they both need and require because

of their youth. Gray is far from the finished article,Diabate can be put up for comparison,when

he has the UPS and downs of Gray.

Plus these last 4 seasons,must have been proof for Every City fan,how difficult it is to find

then get into the Team,young players with potential ,of the Ilk of Gray n Diabate.So one should not quit on

them so easily...Or make  to easy ,too early sentiments and judgements on these 2 or any younger players.

Optimism / pessism are opposite but very close neighbours...

I rather look  at some of Grays better even great moments,and lack of Team support in his difficult moments.

For now...!!

Next season I do want/expect more. We are not desperate for the money or freeing of wages,so

lets see if he can make that small but long stride,in translating his potential.

I believe we ourselves show,how small the difference can shave  the twist in opinions,but unlike some

other Posters we dont need to go into bombastic self-opinionated rhetoric...

• Like 2