Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

WBA Post match

3 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Again, I thought King was far and away our best midfielder yesterday. Neat and tidy and generally keeping possession, except the early chance for Phillips.

Musa was utterly awful in the first half, Mahrez did some good things and some bad things and Drinkwater's back pass lost us the game. I've noticed he's been relatively forgiven for that on here. If that was King he'd have been slaughtered.

He's been fm forgiven for being our best player this season amoung a cast of mediocrity. Yesterday was his worst performance by far, but he was due a bad one. 

King played well in the previous three games, but I don't understand how you can say he anything other than a waste of space. If you were able to hang his kit up on hanger on the pitch pre game instead of him wearing it I think we'd have been better off. 

We deserved to lose yesterday and can't argue the fact that WBA wanted the game more than us. They were willing to pass it around and have a real go at closing us down. We seemed to have stopped closing defenders down. We used to be so good at that.....we were also great at a quick start. These days we can't even muster up an attempt on goal in the first half! 

For me its a motivational thing. The players think they can turn up and beat any mediocre team. We don't have the same determination through the starting 11.

I thought Mahrez played well yesterday. We were relying on him too much though. A lot of people slating Vardy but I'm not sure what else he could have done.....I can't remember a ball to his feet at any point.

Yesterday's defeat coincided with Drinkwaters worst game of the season. Before the mistake he had tried the long ball to Mahrez twice and both times it was too short. Even his short passes were off.

I don't blame the defenders for knocking it long. Whenever they passed it to Drinkwater or King they just pass it back to them straight away. That whole tactic is great when you're winning. We don't have a midfielder who wants to drive the game forward. A player like Dembele who turns and runs straight down the middle of the park. Drinkwater got forward once when he was trying to make up for his error and we almost got a goal when he crossed it in. Truth is we need that desire and drive more often.

We need to start playing Vardy and Slimani up top together and give them some time. How are they going to get to develop any sort of partnership if they aren't on the pitch together for half an hour each week.

22 hours ago, oxtonfox said:

Did we really beat this side 3-1 last season in a canter? 

No we didn't did we - it were 3-2 and we did the same score at theirs six months earlier during the Great Escape. So why have we regressed to a level of playing and performance that is below mid table of the Championship level in a year? It's almost like the Worthington/Holloway level in terms of quality and having just a single club in the bag for approach. 

Secondly, why are we such damn awful starters to every game? OK at United we were OK and Liverpool for the first five minutes but come on we have been so slow off the mark 

I just cannot get my head around what has happened to our performances. Not a single shot at home to West Brom in the first half is astonishing. I'd back a non-league side to at least manage that.

When was our last good first half?

That's six games out of twelve in the league where we have been appalling, and I'm talking worse than 2014/15 bad.

4 hours ago, elvisfmcfly said:

If anything that mistake came about due to Drinkwater carrying the midfield all season so far and taking too much on.He must be knackered.

4 hours ago, elvisfmcfly said:

If anything that mistake came about due to Drinkwater carrying the midfield all season so far and taking too much on.He must be knackered.

! Drinkwater made a horrific mistake, that even a ten year old would never have made. Bloody inexcusable. 

3 hours ago, Eskay said:

We deserved to lose yesterday and can't argue the fact that WBA wanted the game more than us. They were willing to pass it around and have a real go at closing us down. We seemed to have stopped closing defenders down. We used to be so good at that.....we were also great at a quick start. These days we can't even muster up an attempt on goal in the first half! 

For me its a motivational thing. The players think they can turn up and beat any mediocre team. We don't have the same determination through the starting 11.

I thought Mahrez played well yesterday. We were relying on him too much though. A lot of people slating Vardy but I'm not sure what else he could have done.....I can't remember a ball to his feet at any point.

Yesterday's defeat coincided with Drinkwaters worst game of the season. Before the mistake he had tried the long ball to Mahrez twice and both times it was too short. Even his short passes were off.

I don't blame the defenders for knocking it long. Whenever they passed it to Drinkwater or King they just pass it back to them straight away. That whole tactic is great when you're winning. We don't have a midfielder who wants to drive the game forward. A player like Dembele who turns and runs straight down the middle of the park. Drinkwater got forward once when he was trying to make up for his error and we almost got a goal when he crossed it in. Truth is we need that desire and drive more often.

We need to start playing Vardy and Slimani up top together and give them some time. How are they going to get to develop any sort of partnership if they aren't on the pitch together for half an hour each week.

You have made some good points especially about our midfield continually passing the ball back

to the defence who then punt it upfield. We really do need a C.mid who will drive forward with the ball.

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

I just cannot get my head around what has happened to our performances. Not a single shot at home to West Brom in the first half is astonishing. I'd back a non-league side to at least manage that.

That's six games out of twelve in the league where we have been appalling, and I'm talking worse than 2014/15 bad.

We're we REALLY that bad second half?

I really think we'd have won if it wasn't for Drinkys one off mistake.

Musa was getting into the game more and more but then gets subbed. Riyadh was showing signs of last season BUT there are defo issues as we all know.

I must be watching through tinted glasses but I really don't think we were THAT bad second half?... Probably just kidding myself though!

11 minutes ago, Raj said:

I really think we'd have won if it wasn't for Drinkys one off mistake.

I've been thinking that all day. And what a very different place this Forum would be today if that was the case.

Fine margins and all that...

13 hours ago, ttfn said:

This is what so many of the people saying "don't panic" or "we're not in a relegation battle" are missing. 

Even in the infamous diamond experiment under Pearson (which coincidentally hit its nadir in a home defeat to West Brom) we created more chances than that.

I hesitate to say it's the worst performance since the Barnsley match in 2013 because that was a totally different kind of game (and that game was more reminiscent of the Hull game earlier this season) but it's certainly the most clueless I can remember us looking in possession since the period just after Christmas 2011 when we couldn't put away Ipswich, Portsmouth or Barnsley at home despite having a wealth of attacking talent at our disposal.

We had 0 attempts in the first half yesterday. Not 0 on target - 0 total. We literally didn't try to score once until they went 1-0 up.

That would be embarrassing away at one of the world's top teams, let alone a home game against a poor West Brom side.

Who quite regularly turn in such statistics themselves away from home. It was astonishing.

I'm with you here. I can't not worry about this. We've been crap more often than not this season.

2 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Unbalanced team, litterally cut in half. WBA stayed solid in the midfield and pressed high good when it mattered. You can't play counter anymore and you don't have enough players with technique to build up your game "normallly".

CR is tinkering too, trying to the find the most suitable players to his 4-4-2 since, imo, he doesn't believe in a better formation until Mendy comes back and/or a CM is signed this winter. I think he's in damage control mode in the PL and throwing everything in the UCL to make LCFC still attractive for the winter transfer window.

Some hilarious comments on here. So, starting with a disclaimer - with true Leicester fans who've supported the club through thick and thin, I have no problem, in fact I like the club.

However, reading through this forum you seem to have acquired a fair few glory hunters who have the sort of sense of entitlement and the pant-wetting reaction to defeat that I'd expect from your average Man U or Chelsea plastics.

This attitude also seems to have permeated elements of your home support. The chant sung by your fans at the game 'Champions of England, You'll never sing that!' is beyond cringeworthy. If you disagree, take a look at the record books and you'll realise why. Whilst your at it, check out our FA Cup history, something most English clubs can only dream of. And surviving for as long as we have in the Prem on our restricted budget is also deserving of respect.

No doubt every club that achieves success will attract the fickle and fly-by-night supporters, which indeed you have. They'll disappear as soon as the trophies and Sky-driven hype dry up. So adios and good luck in Europe - I'll look forward to meeting the true Leicester fans again at whichever level of football we're playing.

7 hours ago, DeMBaggie said:

Some hilarious comments on here. So, starting with a disclaimer - with true Leicester fans who've supported the club through thick and thin, I have no problem, in fact I like the club.

However, reading through this forum you seem to have acquired a fair few glory hunters who have the sort of sense of entitlement and the pant-wetting reaction to defeat that I'd expect from your average Man U or Chelsea plastics.

This attitude also seems to have permeated elements of your home support. The chant sung by your fans at the game 'Champions of England, You'll never sing that!' is beyond cringeworthy. If you disagree, take a look at the record books and you'll realise why. Whilst your at it, check out our FA Cup history, something most English clubs can only dream of. And surviving for as long as we have in the Prem on our restricted budget is also deserving of respect.

No doubt every club that achieves success will attract the fickle and fly-by-night supporters, which indeed you have. They'll disappear as soon as the trophies and Sky-driven hype dry up. So adios and good luck in Europe - I'll look forward to meeting the true Leicester fans again at whichever level of football we're playing.

The Chelsea fans sung that at us a couple of seasons ago and sadly, as much as we didn't want to admit it, was probably true. It was intended to hurt and it did. It's banter and it clearly hit the spot on Sunday. Whilst not trying to justify the song, I think it suggests that you won't be singing it in your (or our) lifetimes just as the Chelsea fans thought when they sung it as us. I don't think anyone had the 1919-20 season in mind (I had to Google it) as I don't expect there was anyone at the match that remembers it (not sure they would've sung it back then).

You are right about your FA Cup history. 3 times in the last century is impressive and a competition that we'd love to win. I think we'd swap two of our League Cups for one FA Cup. 'FA Cup winners, we'll never sing that' !! Probably.

'Where were you when you were shit' ?? I heard that one but the truth is that we still had the same size attendance (at capacity) when we spent 5 months at the bottom of the Premier League (second highest in the Midlands). Just banter though, init.

I'm glad that you like our club. I don't dislike WBA and, in deed, I was a massive fan during that match at White Hart Lane towards the end of last season. God bless Craig Dawson :thumbup:

I can live with a defeat and defeats we've seen aplenty as Leicester fans over the past few years or even decades. What usually gets me is the performance and how that defeat comes about.

The first half on Sunday was pure boredom from an LCFC perspective, the team seemed lethargic and gave away possession too easily, hardly got anything going in an attacking sense, usually inviting West Brom to scoring opportunities for the sake of it.

We lack enough strength in depth and creativity in midfield, we have hardly any player that can make things happen in the centre in an attacking sense. Here was a chance to actually rotate for once. Whether you regard our erratic form as a expression of physical exhaustion or whether that's just a conspiracy theory to you is anyone's guess. Drinkwater has had to put up with so much playing time and we don't have enough quality as cover, as much as I like King for what he's achieved and done for the club and his country up to this point. I wish Mendy a speedy recovery, because we desperately need that extra touch, that extra something in midfield.

Drinkwater's horrible backpass will hopefully remain a one-in-a-thousand event and yes, we reacted wonderfully with Slimani's swift equalizer. But again, we sort of switched off and became way too complacent and to me, the squad just didn't want to put in the extra effort to seal the deal and really push for a win (or a draw at 2-1 down).

Morgan appears to be a shadow of his former self. Can't stop a ball, mistimes headers, reacts a lot slower than I remember him from the past and gets found out more in 1-on-1s. It's rather tragic, to be honest.

Mahrez hasn't been able to show his true self, he's hit and miss and the moment. More so than in previous seasons. I suppose it's because he's our standalone player, our franchise attraction (sorry for the MLS lingo here), so I'm asking myself whether I'm expecting too much from what obviously can be a genius with the ball on a great day, but then falters badly when things aren't going the way he wants them to be. Same case for Vardy, who's been pretty underwhelming so far. Then again, who can blame him for the poor service?

This whole hoofball style that has dominated our season up until now is grinding my gears. I loved our approach and passing ways last season. This season, we've become so rustic and one-sided. It's somewhat disheartening. Long balls, aimlessly hit forward. Give me a break. Why can't we keep it on the ground more often or at least mix it up like we used to (even under Pearson)?

I don't know if it is the Champions League challenge that puts more pressure on the lads or whether we've simply lost that collective spark quicker than most of us were expecting.

As it stands, I'm prepared to expect a lot less this season. But if the effort on the pitch is lacking, then I seem to have a problem.

Ranieri has gained a lot of credit with the fanbase and football supporters in general - but that also means he has a lot to lose.

Here's to Watford away! :fc:

Reality is we have been poor in all but 3/4 games this season..

That is no fluke..

We have been found out but don't have the players that can play a passing game.

We keep forking out millions on players that are nothing but workhorses.

In January lets get some real quality in that can take the team places

11 hours ago, DeMBaggie said:

Agree that the 'Champions of England' chant was stupid but what has your FA Cup record got to do with anything?

On 8 November 2016 at 03:07, Dan LCFC said:

I wonder if they've been told to conserve energy in the first half with a view to just getting to half time at 0 0, then up the ante in the second. All part of saving effort/energy to lessen the impact of playing so many matches.

If so it is a dangerous tactic.

48 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

I wonder if they've been told to conserve energy in the first half with a view to just getting to half time at 0 0, then up the ante in the second. All part of saving effort/energy to lessen the impact of playing so many matches.

If so it is a dangerous tactic.

I think they are short of the levels they had last year (stupid pre-season:rolleyes:), and they are trying to manage themselves through CL as well. Not the kind of thing to encourage playing every game at full throttle and pressing like madmen, sadly.

I've heard it said that if your pre-season isn't good (away from the comforts of yer home and yer cryochamber), it is hard to catch up, fitness wise.

Heard a rumour albeit third hand (and I hope it isn't true) that Drinky stormed out of the dressing room on Sunday after he was blamed for the defeat, Simpson being the main culprit. Apparently the dressing room atmosphere isn't good at the moment and the band of brothers is no longer with Ranieri giving out the hairdryer treatment. 

As as I said I hope this isn't true but since I heard it it's niggled at me and made me worry for our season. Poor performance on Sunday but gotta dust ourselves off for Watford and try to get some points and much needed confidence back. 

my biggest concern, is why we did not improve the team in the summer. Yes we added more players to the squad, but our overall starting 11 has not been improved. We had the biggest transfer window in our history to put a marker down and turn our club into a top 6 - 8 team for a long period to come. Instead we stalled and are lacking in many areas. 

Tactics have not been charged at all, I get if not broke don't fix it, but we cant break teams down now, Vardy has no service at all as teams sit back, centre midfield we are out numbered every game it seems bar burnley/swansea at home. Even Copenhagen out played us. 

WBA deserved the win, for them they did what we did last year, defend very well and hit teams on the break. Our fault we lack a creative attacking midfield player to make the final pass to vardy / slimani. Lets hope we can still attract players in January that can move us towards top 8 of the league and compete every season for a while. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived