Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

WBA Post match

Though it's difficult, I think we have to separate last season, from this season. 

If we didn't know how well we played last season, with pretty much the same squad, we'd be looking at THIS season and thinking wtf?

If we had signed Mahrez for instance over the summer, we'd be wondering who the Hell we'd signed. Same with Vardy (especially Vardy) and with Amartey.

We'd be looking at our ageing back four and the goals we've conceded and would pretty much all be saying they aren't good enough.

Finally Ranieri. If he'd have only recently become manager we'd all be saying what we thought may be the case this time last year.

The spectacular performances of last season give the whole club credit in the bank. But this will only last so long I think.

There must be an upturn in form and on field displays soon.

Last seasons title is looking more and more ridiculous by the week. Our technical ability is being shown up, only Drinkwater, Mahrez and probably Fuchs at times have any sort of ability on the ball.

We have no control in midfield because we can't keep the ball and lack options, Kante was great with the ball in tight situations, and was able to move it quickly, we don't do that anyway. All we have is Drinkwater to Mahrez/Vardy.

Was never convinced Musa would be a good signing but he's essentially an expensive Schlupp. We should have looked at more techical players in the summer, Mendy could have been the man but he's injured.

Need to play 3 in the middle in an attempt to control games and give the defenders more options on the ball. We have 4 attackers on the pitch and create nothing.

6 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Last seasons title is looking more and more ridiculous by the week. Our technical ability is being shown up, only Drinkwater, Mahrez and probably Fuchs at times have any sort of ability on the ball.

We have no control in midfield because we can't keep the ball and lack options, Kante was great with the ball in tight situations, and was able to move it quickly, we don't do that anyway. All we have is Drinkwater to Mahrez/Vardy.

Was never convinced Musa would be a good signing but he's essentially an expensive Schlupp. We should have looked at more techical players in the summer, Mendy could have been the man but he's injured.

Need to play 3 in the middle in an attempt to control games and give the defenders more options on the ball. We have 4 attackers on the pitch and create nothing.

Great point, I thought the same yesterday, unless these guys have the ball at their feet I don't feel like we are in complete control of the football.

Musa and Morgan's touch at times is so bad it's beyond belief.

Having slept on it that loss appears a whole lot worse today. Losing to the likes of Man U, Chelsea and Liverpool in spectacular fashion could be shrugged off as most teams will lose to them anyway. But, losing to WBA at home, comfortably beaten, really does show how low our stock has fallen. Since the last game against Chelsea last season there has been about 20 hours of football of which 15 have been miserable. Leicester City are playing shit football really badly.

The tactics are all to shit. Hoofball to Mahrez and Vardy is just saying to the opposition come right back at us. WTF was Zieler doing hoofing the ball up the pitch to WBA big boys, he should have been passing or throwing out to our wonderful defenders or midfield players to play forward with style and craft. Morgan was the same, hoof. Huth too. Fuchs as well but at least he has a pass in him. Simpson was the best of the lot yesterday. The midfield was bad, really bad. Drinky was so poor. King is just poor. Musa we know at least can score, I would have subbed Drinky yesterday and moved Musa over to bring on Grey. At this rate with this back 9 its going to be a long, hard and very disappointing season.

Rant over but I'm not feeling any better.

We cannot continue to accomodate King, he's a passenger and not up to it consistently at this level unfortunately. Some of his first touches yesterday were shocking and on a few occasions he put us in real trouble.

If there's any chance of bringing in a quality midfielder (Silva perhaps) in the window we need to sort that position out quickly.

We are trying to move the club forward in so many ways that this is inevitably a period of transition. Trying to adapt to competing at Champions League football, alongside Premier commitments. Adapting to assimilate new players who were absolutely necessary to give us added depth. Adapting to the frequent changes to the team necessitated by trying to compete on two fronts with new players. Adapting to the fact that we are no longer under-estimated. Adapting to the loss of a highly significant player who has not been replaced. 

Take the second WBA goal. Now I think Zieler is a perfectly good understudy to Kasper. But when Danny under-hit that back-pass, Kasper would have been out without thinking, at high pace, risking a sending off and might well have done enough to put Phillips off. In fact he's so quick he might have got to the ball first. But Zieler isn't as confident as KS, isn't as embedded in the team, doesn't have a well-developed understanding of his team-mates, He hesitated fatally and in the end did nothing meaningful to prevent the goal. It's a tiny margin but it's decisive. At that time we were on top and looking like getting the next goal, we needed to avoid conceding.

There are similar issues with Musa. He's an obvious talent and I thought he was starting to humiliate Dawson when Ranieri brought him off. But too often his final ball shows a lack of "nouse" -  crosses hit high into a sea of tall opposition defenders - the fast low cross would have been a much better weapon. Sometimes he cuts back to a player who is expecting a more direct delivery and sometimes - like Mahrez, in trying to turn his man one time too many, he delays the cross and forces our attacking players to check back on their runs. Amartey is inconsistent - which is understandable - a young player in a new league being asked to anchor the midfield. As for Slimani - his threat is all too obvious - but it seems CR has given up on partnering him with Vardy - to do so means either playing two all-out strikers which exposes our central midfield or forcing one of them to play deeper than either of them would ideally like.

So we just have to trust that CR will get it right. But these teething problems are the inevitable result of trying to move the club forward on so many fronts at once.  

13 minutes ago, smudgerfox said:

Take the second WBA goal. Now I think Zieler is a perfectly good understudy to Kasper. But when Danny under-hit that back-pass, Kasper would have been out without thinking, at high pace, risking a sending off and might well have done enough to put Phillips off. In fact he's so quick he might have got to the ball first. But Zieler isn't as confident as KS, isn't as embedded in the team, doesn't have a well-developed understanding of his team-mates, He hesitated fatally and in the end did nothing meaningful to prevent the goal. It's a tiny margin but it's decisive. At that time we were on top and looking like getting the next goal, we needed to avoid conceding.

You need to take the Kasper tinted specs off and watch that goal back. The pass was made nowhere near our box. Danny tried a stupid back pass near the halfway line. Phillips had a good 10-15 yard run through on goal. Zieler could not have come flying out in that situation as Phillips would have had an easy chip over the keeper. With Kasper injured the last thing we need is Zieler getting sent off and being left with 1 fit senior goal keeper, so taking the man down is not an option. He stood up as long as possible but Phillips created a good angle and scuffed the ball over the line. It's starting to grate on me how Zieler is getting blamed for either goal yesterday. Neither were his fault. 

11 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

You need to take the Kasper tinted specs off and watch that goal back. The pass was made nowhere near our box. Danny tried a stupid back pass near the halfway line. Phillips had a good 10-15 yard run through on goal. Zieler could not have come flying out in that situation as Phillips would have had an easy chip over the keeper. With Kasper injured the last thing we need is Zieler getting sent off and being left with 1 fit senior goal keeper, so taking the man down is not an option. He stood up as long as possible but Phillips created a good angle and scuffed the ball over the line. It's starting to grate on me how Zieler is getting blamed for either goal yesterday. Neither were his fault. 

the way i saw that incident is if zieler came out he would have put more pressure on phillips.

he didnt need to take him out or even try and win the ball.

havent watched it over so i could be wrong.

Musa is starting to look a bit more dangerous but needs to be a tad more selfish in the box. Unless he was knackered it was a shame that he was taken off as he was causing them problems.

My West Brom mate says that everyone around him amongst the away fans were very glad to see him being subbed.

35 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

It's hard for some people to put any blame on last season's players, and there seems a dislike from some for all our Summer signings. Thought Zieler looked fine. Schmeichel doesn't always save those one on ones, just like in that Liverpool game where he ran out and gave them an open goal. 

1 hour ago, Mapperleyfox said:

We cannot continue to accomodate King, he's a passenger and not up to it consistently at this level unfortunately. Some of his first touches yesterday were shocking and on a few occasions he put us in real trouble.

If there's any chance of bringing in a quality midfielder (Silva perhaps) in the window we need to sort that position out quickly.

Again, I thought King was far and away our best midfielder yesterday. Neat and tidy and generally keeping possession, except the early chance for Phillips.

Musa was utterly awful in the first half, Mahrez did some good things and some bad things and Drinkwater's back pass lost us the game. I've noticed he's been relatively forgiven for that on here. If that was King he'd have been slaughtered.

t's hard for some people to put any blame on last season's players, and there seems a dislike from some for all our Summer signings. Thought Zieler looked fine. Schmeichel doesn't always save those one on ones, just like in that Liverpool game where he ran out and gave them an open goal. 

This isn't the point with me. In fact I accept that new players are necessary and I accept that they have to be assimilated and that that may take time. My point isn't that Zieler should have stopped the goal or that Kasper would have done, it's that we all know that Kasper would have accepted the challenge and gone for it. I accept it may have ended like the Liverpool goal you refer to, but we know what to expect from him. None of us, including the players, know what to expect from Zieler and he was indecisive - by retreating he gave himself little chance of affecting what was an already unpromising situation.  

Guest foxestalkisfullofidiots
4 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Again, I thought King was far and away our best midfielder yesterday. Neat and tidy and generally keeping possession, except the early chance for Phillips.

Musa was utterly awful in the first half, Mahrez did some good things and some bad things and Drinkwater's back pass lost us the game. I've noticed he's been relatively forgiven for that on here. If that was King he'd have been slaughtered.

He keeps possession because he only passes it backwards, look back through my posts and I said years ago he wasn't good enough for the championship and I don't think he is good enough for this level tbf I had to eat my words a little in the season we stayed up bit he is just not consistent enough, if King had not comemail through the system he would  of been  sold by now.

9 minutes ago, smudgerfox said:

[..]

This isn't the point with me. In fact I accept that new players are necessary and I accept that they have to be assimilated and that that may take time. My point isn't that Zieler should have stopped the goal or that Kasper would have done, it's that we all know that Kasper would have accepted the challenge and gone for it. I accept it may have ended like the Liverpool goal you refer to, but we know what to expect from him. None of us, including the players, know what to expect from Zieler and he was indecisive - by retreating he gave himself little chance of affecting what was an already unpromising situation.  

I don't think any keeper in their right mind would have gone for it, unless they have a death wish. The backpass was way too far and you still have one (or two) field players that could stop the opponent. All that the keeper can do in this case, would be to come a bit out, maybe around the penalty mark.

I think our lack of technically able players is stopping us from switching up our play. You can see that even when we have the ball, there's no plan or direction and we never look in control. I'm more on edge when we have the ball than when we don't. 

We have players like Musa, Schlupp, Huth, Morgan, Okazaki and Amartey to an extent who don't look able to control a ball or comfortably make a 5 yard pass. 

For me, we need a technical centre back, centre mid, and attacking mid. The play is so focused around "give it to Drinkwater to play a sprayed 40 yarder to Mahrez, their defender clears to Simpson who gives it to King, it gets knocked back to Huth who lofts it aimlessly to Slimani" 

Rinse and repeat. . . 

really poor performance and so far from what we expect.where is the fight and the determination. where is the hunger. this is just not good enough and it needs sorting out quickly or we could find ourselves in a relegation battle and not trying to get back into Europe. i know the champions league is taking priority at the moment but we can't let it slide in the league, we certainly won't be back in Europe next year.poor poor poor and it needs to turn around quickly

2 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

For their 2nd if Morgan was within touching distance he should have just taken him out. Might have gotten away with just a yellow as it was so far out to begin with.

Last defender fouling a guy running towards the goal? I think it would have been a guaranteed red.

9 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

Last defender fouling a guy running towards the goal? I think it would have been a guaranteed red.

Its got to be a clear goalscoring opportunity and if he'd got in early enough its hard to be sure of that 40 yards from goal. I agree he probably would have went but with how late it was in the game I think it would have been worth taking the risk to get a point. His suspension wouldn't be as big a loss as it once was either.

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

I think it's because Danny has been consistently very good for us, for a long time, in all competitions.  He made one bad mistake yesterday, and didn't have his best game.  It happens.

With King, he's consistently shit.  He might look neat & tidy, but so would I if I just passed the ball 5 yards backwards & sideways, and didn't make an intelligent run in space for my teammate to find me.  He's such a ghost player, it's unreal.  So yeah, if he had made that mistake, we would have been rightfully slaughtering him.  

3 hours ago, Royston. said:

the way i saw that incident is if zieler came out he would have put more pressure on phillips.

he didnt need to take him out or even try and win the ball.

havent watched it over so i could be wrong.

After at least 9 shit games, anybody  having a go at Zieler/Schmeichel , will always be wrong...

Trying to psycho analyse, every single wrong doing, (Zieler not to blame) which this forum tends to go OTT on,

doesnt get anywhere near our basic problems....

I would go so far as saying its not worth criticising any single player, especially the new guys.

We won the title as a team we fought and bit for every piece of space for the team, we are this season,

not just 5-10% Off but 30-60% down on any awaited intensity.

For example Okazaki according to many was the missing Link, he went missing on Sunday so whats the

Fix now???

Archived