Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FireFox

Porto away Pre Match & team selection discuss

2 hours ago, cgsutton69 said:

My team for Wednesday 
Zieler 
Simpson hernandez Morgan fuchs 
Amartey drinkwater mendy 
Gray kapuska 
Slimani 

Or musa for kapuska 

was thinking along the same lines,but musa up front,same role he played against barca,if mendy is not fit it still has to be king,and maybe chilwell getting a game if fit enough

2 hours ago, Collibosher70 said:

It's a nothing game so put a reserve team out...league is more important now

I just hope the importance given to the champions league, isn't going to cost us the most important league, which pays more, the premier league status.

I think Huth & Slimani are both one yellow away from Champions League suspension so I can't imagine risking them. Probably Vardy & Okazaki up front with Hernandez taking Huth's place but tbh just play the U23's, it can't hurt.

I'd go 3412:                   Zieler

Hernandez Wasyl Morgan

Albrighton  Mendy  Drinky  Schlupp

Gray

Shinji  Slim

Seems to be a bit of confusion as to who we can play, our squad for CL is, I don't know whether exceptions can be made for "u23" players, but I doubt it

Squad for CL:

Goalkeepers

1 Kasper Schmeichel

12 Ben Hamer

21 Ron-Robert Zieler

Defenders

2 Luis Hernandez

3 Ben Chilwell

5 Wes Morgan

6 Robert Huth

17 Danny Simpson

27 Marcin Wasilewski

28 Christian Fuchs

Midfielders

4 Danny Drinkwater

7 Ahmed Musa

10 Andy King

11 Marc Albrighton

13 Daniel Amartey

14 Bartosz Kapustka

20 Shinji Okazaki

24 Nampalys Mendy

Forwards

9 Jamie Vardy

15 Jeff Schlupp

19 Islam Slimani

22 Demarai Gray

23 Leonardo Ulloa

26 Riyad Mahrez

Somehow it doesn't look anywhere near as attractive as it did last year.....

Like the idea of sticking three centre halves on (Hernandez, Wasyl and Wes) with Albrighton and Fuchs wing backs. Think LWB would suit Chilwell down to the ground too and it'd be great for him to actually get some minutes. Drinkwater and Mendy in the middle with Shinji helping out and two from Gray / Musa / Slim / Mahrez up top.

Won't happen though.

Stat time 

• English clubs have travelled to Porto 11 times in the Champions League, winning only twice (Manchester Utd in April 2009, Chelsea in November 2009), drawing four times and losing on a further five occasions.
  • No English club has ever scored more than one goal on their trips to Porto in the Champions League (11 games).
  • In their last 11 Champions League games against English sides, Porto have either found the net twice (4 times) or failed to score (7 times).
  • Leicester City are the first team since Malaga in 2012/13 to finish top of the group on their Champions League debut.
  • Meanwhile, Porto will finish second if they beat Leicester City or Copenhagen fail to win against Club Brugge.
  • Porto have lost only one of their last 11 home games in the Champions League (W7 D3), it was against Dynamo Kiev in November 2015 (0-2). It's also the only time they've failed to score in those 11 games.
  • Porto have failed to win their final group game in each of their last five Champions League campaigns (D2 L3). Their last victory on matchday six dates back to December 2009 (3-0 v Atlético Madrid).
  • Porto haven't conceded a goal in their last two Champions League games. The last time they achieved three consecutive clean sheets in a single CL campaign was back in their winning campaign 2003/04.
  • Leicester City have the joint-best defensive record in this season's Champions League alongside Atlético Madrid (1 goal conceded in 5 games).
  • Meanwhile, Porto's games have produced the joint-fewest goals in this season's Champions League alongside Copenhagen (7, 4 scored and 3 conceded).
  • André Silva has been directly involved in 75% of Porto's goals in this season's Champions League (3 out of 4), scoring two and assisting one.
  • Jamie Vardy has had two shots on target in his first 424 minutes in the Champions League, none of them have found the back of the net.

Zieler 

Simpson

Morgan

Hernandez (Huth on yellow plus more off form then Wes, so try Luis at CB as rehearsal for Man City)

Chilwell (if fit enough - Fuchs needs a rest anyway)

Albrighton (RM but switching - see Gray comment)

Drinkwater

King / Amartey (not much to choose between them.  Probably King, has been better in CL than in league) - sub for Mendy at some point

Gray (LM but I worry about him helping out Chilly, so maybe switch him to RM and Albrighton to LM)

Okazaki

Slimani - loves a goal against Porto but if not performing, sub for Ulloa (give him a go!!) 

Much as people are saying change the formation, don't forget the players need to know how to play it too.  4-2-3-1 is probably morel like 442 than 433 and nearly goes to 451 and 4411 as well, which Shinji effectively gives us.  

Porto were most dangerous down the left and the middle, so have Albrighton right, helping Simpson out.

My team for wednesday (4-3-3)

Zieler

Simpson Hernandez Morgan Fuchs

Mendy

Drinkwater      James

Mahrez       Slimani        Gray

Porto have to win this. They can't rely on Copenhagen not winning in Brugges so a point is no good. a team having to beat us could be something that actually works to our benefit. 

just have a feeling that so much of what Claudio has done with the players this autumn is directed at winning European games rather than premier league ones - and it shows ! 

2 hours ago, The soup nazi said:

I won't be watching this one. 

I'll be bouncing around all game enjoying the occasion, fvck the doom and gloom!  If you're next to me and want to watch the action on the pitch then I suggest you move seats lol 

That's the spirit Gaz lol

we really should all get over ourselves and just cheer the team on 

does the team get us going or Do the fans get the team going? We should be getting them fired up 

up the City

I'd like to see CR balance to the team. He's continually playing sq pegs in round holes and hoping for a result. I've spoken about this in other Threads already. There's too much space between Simpson and Mahrez. Asking Mahrez to track back and defend is only going to take something away from his natural ability which is to attack. We need to get someone in that gap. the most likely player is Albrighton. Albrighton can then help out Simpson also fill the wing role when Mahrez goes inside. That would be a much stronger right side than what we have.

Similarly on the left, I'd bring in Schlupp or Chilwell in front of Fuchs or Fuchs in front of Chilwell. Then Gray on the left wing. Mendy and Drinkwater in the middle.( Until we get that creative midfielder. )

I'd play Slimani up top to lead the line.  I know this leaves him a little exposed but I'm hoping he gets the support from the others. if we have to try someone up with him then I'd like to see Musa get a chance in the Goal area. At the back I'd go with Hernadez Morgan Fuchs or Chilwell. Alternatively I'd try Amartey alongside Morgan to see if he's any good a defender.

Zieler

Hernandez Morgan Chilwell

Albrighton Mendy Drinkwater Schlupp

Mahrez Slimani Gray

Archived