Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Man City Post Match Thread 4 - 2

Got to hold my hands up and say I'm stunned and didn't expect that. Although helped massively by their formation and tactics we actually played like we cared. Some brilliant stuff. A win was not only unexpected but also vital. The next two games are going to be very difficult and we won't be afforded the time and space we  were today so let's see where we are on Boxing Day. Is this a return of the real Leicester or merely a one off? Hopefully confidence will be restored. This showed how vital Vardy is to the team. Not just in his goal scoring but in the tempo he can set for the others to follow. With players returning from suspension and injury it will be a good time to have a full squad to choose from.

I thought we were excellent last night but I have to be honest, I'm stunned by Guardiola's tactics. If you could pick the opposition tactics then you'd have gone with something like he came up with. A back 4 that becomes a back 3 with two full backs in it, tonnes of space down the flanks, Zabaleta playing a kind of bizarre defensive free role, and then a centre half and a goalkeeper who slavishly start the game from very deep when we play with such a high press. For a guy considered the greatest coach of a generation, I'm stunned at the naivety of his tactics yesterday. 

41 minutes ago, reynard said:

Got to hold my hands up and say I'm stunned and didn't expect that. Although helped massively by their formation and tactics we actually played like we cared. Some brilliant stuff. A win was not only unexpected but also vital. The next two games are going to be very difficult and we won't be afforded the time and space we  were today so let's see where we are on Boxing Day. Is this a return of the real Leicester or merely a one off? Hopefully confidence will be restored. This showed how vital Vardy is to the team. Not just in his goal scoring but in the tempo he can set for the others to follow. With players returning from suspension and injury it will be a good time to have a full squad to choose from.

This^

I expected one team to hit four and if we were within two goals I thought we would have done alright. Didn't see that coming at all!

18 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

I thought we were excellent last night but I have to be honest, I'm stunned by Guardiola's tactics. If you could pick the opposition tactics then you'd have gone with something like he came up with. A back 4 that becomes a back 3 with two full backs in it, tonnes of space down the flanks, Zabaleta playing a kind of bizarre defensive free role, and then a centre half and a goalkeeper who slavishly start the game from very deep when we play with such a high press. For a guy considered the greatest coach of a generation, I'm stunned at the naivety of his tactics yesterday. 

He is being found out I believe.

The reaction from many on here to Wednesday night was way over the top. Perspective was called for then as it is now. Sure, yesterday was great and it was like an 80 minute clip from last season. But which other teams are going to allow us to play on the counter-attack, have no plan for Mahrez and give Vardy the freedom of the inside right channel?

Man City were as clueless as we were ruthless. But don't expect either Bournemouth or Stoke to be as generous.

Hopefully the confidence, fight and togetherness from yesterday's win will help us get something from both games. We are still a long way from 40 points! 

Everyone knows how to play us now. Last season we hit on the break, got behind teams and Vardy would score.

Yesterday we got the early goal which meant Man City had to come at us and it played into our hands and it was basically like a match from last season. 

Great game to watch, a bit of a break from most games this season. 

Not sure if its a turning point though, but confidence is a massive thing

1 hour ago, Paddy. said:

It was truly bizarre. Zabaleta was practically playing in a free defensive role. At one point I saw Stones one on one with Simpson on their left wing. At 4-0 Pep took off their only recognised striker and put a CM on. 

It was weird all round by Man City.

3 minutes ago, ttfn said:

Yaya Toure only played 25 minutes yesterday but made more successful passes than any of our players!

At the half hour mark we had made 52 passes and they had made 233 passes and we were 3-0 up.

7 minutes ago, dedlock said:

Man C allowed us space and paid for it. Mahrez was free from the shackles of defenders doubling or trebling up and back to form.

How many future opponents will allow him similar freedom?

Very few - their approach bordered on arrogant. Reminiscent of Feb at the eitihad. 

As mentioned in the match thread, there was a difference yesterday - Keith vaz recalled to the director's box after his five game ban!  On the front row as no one wanted to sit in front of him ...........

After all the talk about how rarely Mahrez passes to Vardy recently and how Slimani and Vardy can't play together, it was great to see them all working together so effectively.

Good on Claudio sticking to his guns and finally getting a reward. Just shows what is still,possible with this squad. I'll be happy if we just don't get relegated, but maybe top half is still possible.

Everyone turned up....including Rachel, quite happy to eat my words of negativity after seeing the team sheet and 442. Absolutely delighted for Vardy.....3 a week into the new year would be good lol Good to see a bit of "bruising" by the defence that element of unsettling the opposition has been missing. I wanted Huth's head on a stick after his 2 previous performances, he was solid as a rock again today, seems he saves his best for Man City. What can I say about Stones, other than thank you. Great move by Pep to fcuk Joe Hart off to another club, his sub tactics were not about getting the game back, but damage limitation from a side coming off a defeat by the bottom club and a 5goal thrashing in midweek.

Ranieri's interview after the game was a bit of an eye opener in respect of him saying the team wanted "the usual" formation and if he plays 3 in midfield the players don't know where to go. From Vardy's interview he wasn't pleased about not travelling to Porto and maybe that was the wake up call needed.

Repeat performance against Bournemouth please, but I don't think they'll roll over quite like Man City did yesterday, we need City to fly out of the traps again.

Well done lads I'll feel good at least until the Bournemouth match, and it's a game that is stored in memory hopefully as the turning point of the season.

Highly amusing comment on the Manchester City Fans Forum: "The 0-10-0 formation with the false number 1 was innovative".

Spot on. Man City were totally chaotic. We may complain about Ranieri's persistence with 4-4-2, but at least our players are familiar with it and they know what they are supposed to be doing - and it worked a treat yesterday!

I know Man City have been shaky recently, but this could be one of those results which looks even better in hindsight- there's obviously a very good team in there and they will start putting the wins together, maybe after spending in January. We could look back at the end of the season having torn apart a team who ended up being a juggernaut.

I wouldn't say Guardiola has been 'found out', his arrogance handed that game to us on a platter. I used to like him, but his holy-than-thou attitude to playing football the 'right way', Cruyff is a demi-god blah blah... makes me really dislike him. Worse than Tottenham and Pochettino 

The only side not to treat us with respect this season and they, let's be honest, got pummelled 

48 minutes ago, Richard said:

I wouldn't say Guardiola has been 'found out', his arrogance handed that game to us on a platter. I used to like him, but his holy-than-thou attitude to playing football the 'right way', Cruyff is a demi-god blah blah... makes me really dislike him. Worse than Tottenham and Pochettino 

The only side not to treat us with respect this season and they, let's be honest, got pummelled 

I wouldn't say he didn't treat us with respect, as he was very complimentary before the game to us.. I would just say he beleieves his way is the right way... and you can't really argue with him after what he achieved at Barca and Byern.. but there are not many teams that can break like we do..

Fantastic match, fantastic result. The first half, especially the first twenty minutes were the best football we have played all season. Yes their goalkeeper is rubbish and John stones is abysmal but we took our chances and Vardy looked back to his best. Slimani had some great touches and his partnership with Vardy is developing. If Mahrez can get back to his best regularly. This match shows what we are capable of and is the standard bearer for the rest of the season

4 hours ago, norwichfox said:

Everyone turned up....including Rachel, quite happy to eat my words of negativity after seeing the team sheet and 442. Absolutely delighted for Vardy.....3 a week into the new year would be good lol Good to see a bit of "bruising" by the defence that element of unsettling the opposition has been missing. I wanted Huth's head on a stick after his 2 previous performances, he was solid as a rock again today, seems he saves his best for Man City. What can I say about Stones, other than thank you. Great move by Pep to fcuk Joe Hart off to another club, his sub tactics were not about getting the game back, but damage limitation from a side coming off a defeat by the bottom club and a 5goal thrashing in midweek.

Ranieri's interview after the game was a bit of an eye opener in respect of him saying the team wanted "the usual" formation and if he plays 3 in midfield the players don't know where to go. From Vardy's interview he wasn't pleased about not travelling to Porto and maybe that was the wake up call needed.

Repeat performance against Bournemouth please, but I don't think they'll roll over quite like Man City did yesterday, we need City to fly out of the traps again.

Well done lads I'll feel good at least until the Bournemouth match, and it's a game that is stored in memory hopefully as the turning point of the season.

Rachel here, Rachel there...nice and beautifull wench without a doubt...but It was King Dick who came out, and realising the horror of his Ways,

in allowing his spiritual guards to get in such a mess in the first place,He wasnt going to get blamed again for leaving his wards, and being

blamed for their demise.  No our Very own spiritual Plantagenet, has finished his own merry making and closed season, albeit a bit too long,

but knows you leave Whats  in the grave, stays in the grave. Now the new real campaigne, delayed but starts from here...

Next challenge in the field is a saunty with bucket and spade, to see if the locals on the south coast, can defend their turf between 2 piers,

and decide If its Boscombe or Bournmouth They support....Time methinks to pluck some innocent cherries...:D

Archived