Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The whole world smiles

Vardy's 2nd Goal Today!

1 hour ago, katieakita said:

The Baseball ground at its best, Derby were quite a force in the 70's before Football was played on grass also nice to see the goal celebrations.

Yes although by this time Derby were on the slide and Liverpool were at their dominant best. The seventies was a great era to be growing up watching football.

8 hours ago, shen said:

But he already gets away with having to work substantially less defensively and being very light weight. His place in the team gets justified by his ability to produce one or two moments of magic a game. He hasn't shown much lately at all and like Vardy, he's not going to escape criticism.

Believe me, when he goes to a club like Barca, Real or Bayern, the fans and media will be far less forgiving for  performances like against Sunderland.

Can people stop with the " mahrez is not helping the defense enough" talk. Was he not helping enough in The first half of last season, yes he was not. But this season he is great. He played as a RWB for the second half. He covered a lot of ground in the first and intercepted some passes

He is not as bad defensively as people say. And last night(if I remember correctly) sagna was the only player to have more tackles/interceptions than mahrez. And he won 6 duels. So yeah, he is not as weak or a liability as people think.

10 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

"The finish was hard and low and always beating Claudio Bravo". Well considering Vardy had taken the ball round Bravo and left him on his arse, of course the shot was always beating Bravo lol. Good article though and good to see Mahrez back to his best!

10 hours ago, shen said:

But he already gets away with having to work substantially less defensively and being very light weight. His place in the team gets justified by his ability to produce one or two moments of magic a game. He hasn't shown much lately at all and like Vardy, he's not going to escape criticism.

Believe me, when he goes to a club like Barca, Real or Bayern, the fans and media will be far less forgiving for  performances like against Sunderland.

The biggest myth at Leicester since Iain Hume was a good footballer is Mahrez doesn't help out at the back. Watch the game again and solely watch Riyad and he's as disciplined a winger as any flamboyant player of his ilk is. There was one point about 88 mins when we were bang in the ring piece and he absolutely sold Man City down the river on the edge of our box. It wasn't the arrogant sort of football either, he simply got the ball down with unreal control took a look up and got it gone. But don't let the truth get in the way of a good story. 

The Sunday supplement spent a  minute masturbating over Riyad's touch for the goal 

and for a player of his type, he is very disciplined defensively. Ranieri has coached him well in this regard and when he leaves for a top side, they will be getting a hell of a player, given that he will have far less defensive responsibilities but still be able to  carry them out when needs be. 

Amazingly it was with his weaker right foot. There are Premier League footballers who can't even control a basic ball with their weaker foot, let alone produce such a difficult sexual assist. 

4 hours ago, the fox said:

Can people stop with the " mahrez is not helping the defense enough" talk. Was he not helping enough in The first half of last season, yes he was not. But this season he is great. He played as a RWB for the second half. He covered a lot of ground in the first and intercepted some passes

He is not as bad defensively as people say. And last night(if I remember correctly) sagna was the only player to have more tackles/interceptions than mahrez. And he won 6 duels. So yeah, he is not as weak or a liability as people think.

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

The biggest myth at Leicester since Iain Hume was a good footballer is Mahrez doesn't help out at the back. Watch the game again and solely watch Riyad and he's as disciplined a winger as any flamboyant player of his ilk is. There was one point about 88 mins when we were bang in the ring piece and he absolutely sold Man City down the river on the edge of our box. It wasn't the arrogant sort of football either, he simply got the ball down with unreal control took a look up and got it gone. But don't let the truth get in the way of a good story. 

Just about every Leicester player looked great yesterday, including Mahrez tracking back. Firstly, let's not pretend he's played like that regularly this season. Secondly, I recognise his defensive work and I often defend him when people (wrongly IMO) accuse him of not tracking back.

The point I'm making is that he has often this season lost the ball when carrying it forwards or making hopeful and risky passes. When he gets tackled he often stays down and moans a bit. All this can be forgiven when he occasionally does produce something. Albrighton was much improved yesterday with his passing, which has been lacking badly, but he was outstanding defensively. He gets behind the ball quick and even gets stuck in regularly. Mahrez usually comes back late and then mostly shepherds the opposition player. That's normal, he's a bit lightweight and not the tenacious type like Albrighton, but it's just stating how it is.

It isn't criticism, it's just stating that when he doesn't succeed with his actions, their nature adds pressure to the defense and he's not the type to sprint back 30m to win the ball back, like Albrighton, Okazaki, Drinkwater and Vardy are more prone to do. It's obviously different with him when he's oozing confidence like he was this weekend.

I think Mahrez is an incredible talent and we are fortunate to have him. He gives us something most teams can only dream of. But it doesn't and shouldn't make immune to criticism. I have never lost patience with him and I dread the day we inevitably lose him.

1 hour ago, shen said:

Just about every Leicester player looked great yesterday, including Mahrez tracking back. Firstly, let's not pretend he's played like that regularly this season. Secondly, I recognise his defensive work and I often defend him when people (wrongly IMO) accuse him of not tracking back.

The point I'm making is that he has often this season lost the ball when carrying it forwards or making hopeful and risky passes. When he gets tackled he often stays down and moans a bit. All this can be forgiven when he occasionally does produce something. Albrighton was much improved yesterday with his passing, which has been lacking badly, but he was outstanding defensively. He gets behind the ball quick and even gets stuck in regularly. Mahrez usually comes back late and then mostly shepherds the opposition player. That's normal, he's a bit lightweight and not the tenacious type like Albrighton, but it's just stating how it is.

It isn't criticism, it's just stating that when he doesn't succeed with his actions, their nature adds pressure to the defense and he's not the type to sprint back 30m to win the ball back, like Albrighton, Okazaki, Drinkwater and Vardy are more prone to do. It's obviously different with him when he's oozing confidence like he was this weekend.

I think Mahrez is an incredible talent and we are fortunate to have him. He gives us something most teams can only dream of. But it doesn't and shouldn't make immune to criticism. I have never lost patience with him and I dread the day we inevitably lose him.

This is one of the most thought-out and spot-on comment I'd read in this forum. Thank you!

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Superb post, he does work back more than he is given credit for. We really didn't have any defensive passengers last year, it was a team both with and without the ball.

5 hours ago, Struwwelpeter60 said:

You all seem to forget, that without Fuchs's fantastic 40 yards pass

to Mahrez, Vardy's second goal would not have happened.

How much credit does he get?

It's a great pass and contributes to what makes it such a great goal, but it's the sort of thing you see probably once a game. I've never seen anything like that touch from Mahrez.

Archived