Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nalis

4th Round FA Cup Draw - Mon 9 Jan @ 7.10pm

37 minutes ago, Viva said:

I'm not saying I love the chant, but no need to get all embarrassed singing it to teams like Derby, Wolves, Preston, Blackburn etc who yes all have won things in their past, but likely will not win any leagues again in our lifetime. 

Yes start singing it to Man Utd and it's a bit embarrassing, but not to teams that won't win it again. 

Wow, how do you know these teams won't win it ever? We were in league one 8 years ago, football goes in cycles, never say never, its a funny old game.

1 minute ago, Voll Blau said:

99.9% of fans don't know or care if their team has ever won the league?

Being obtuse now as you realise you're being ridiculous?

Go to a random high street somewhere in the country and ask the first 100 football fans you come across if West Brom have ever won the league.

8 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Except that's not how anyone in their right mind would take that chant, Leicester supporters included, is it? As I've explained time and time again.

I learnt a thing or two in Primary school about the English language, and I'm happy to share my knowledge.

The apostrophe in 'you'll' replaces the 'wi' in 'will'. As such, 'you'll' is a direct alternative to 'you will'. 'Will' is a word that indicates the future tense, not past tense. Consequently, to suggest someone will never do something relates to what will happen from the point of the statement onwards, and doesn't take into account anything that has happened prior to the statement being made.

You're (you are) welcome.

Why are people even bothered. Just do the chant. Who cares what others think.

And anyway what's to say that 'Champions of England, you'll never sing that' isn't aimed at the away fans directly rather than their club. West Brom being case in point. No 100+ year olds are gonna be in the away end to say 'actually I did sing that' 

People are getting way too pissy about it. There are some twisted knickers on this forum. Seriously who gives a toss.

3 minutes ago, Foxy_jim said:

Wow, how do you know these teams won't win it ever? We were in league one 8 years ago, football goes in cycles, never say never, its a funny old game.

Of course anything is technically possible, no one can see into the future. But the 5000/1 odds suggest how likely a scenario it is. I doubt any of us will live to that age to see it happen again!

13 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

If there were any West Brom fans aged 100+ in the away end, who fondly remember singing their little hearts out as their heroes paraded the trophy round the Hawthorns pitch in May 1920, then they had every right to think that as we sang it at them. But there weren't. None of them had ever sang about being Champions, and they never will. So there's just nothing inaccurate about it.

Simultaneously, beered-up football fans were not watching the game in pubs all across the land (except maybe in West Bromwich) thinking 'what inept cretins, don't they know that Jeff Morris' 37 goals propelled the Baggies to the Old Football League crown in the 1919/20 season'.

99.9% either don't know, don't care, or realise it means fvck all now. Or are sane enough to realise that if you've never sung about something and never will, then 'You'll never sing that' isn't an inaccurate statement.

Youre fvcking daft just like the numbnuts who sing it.

3 minutes ago, Lestoh said:

I learnt a thing or two in Primary school about the English language, and I'm happy to share my knowledge.

The apostrophe in 'you'll' replaces the 'wi' in 'will'. As such, 'you'll' is a direct alternative to 'you will'. 'Will' is a word that indicates the future tense, not past tense. Consequently, to suggest someone will never do something relates to what will happen from the point of the statement onwards, and doesn't take into account anything that has happened prior to the statement being made.

God streuth, singing it to teams who have already won the league, whenever it was, is thick, however smart arsed you try and be.

6 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Go to a random high street somewhere in the country and ask the first 100 football fans you come across if West Brom have ever won the league.

Sorry, thought you were on about fans of the clubs it's being aimed at.

6 minutes ago, Lestoh said:

Great, I can't wait to shout that over the segregation at Pride Park while the sheep fans are pissing themselves at us singing it.

6 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

So we discount history then because we werent alive? Ok, better pack in then cos in 100 years whatever we do now will be forgotten and meaningless. Fans are proud of their honours, whenever they were won.

3 minutes ago, Foxy_jim said:

So we discount history then because we werent alive? Ok, better pack in then cos in 100 years whatever we do now will be forgotten and meaningless. Fans are proud of their honours, whenever they were won.

This. 

Its not like people in this country don't ever mention 1966 is it. 

FFS you are all correct. It's down to how you interpret the song.

If you interpret the song as it is being sung to the opposition club then yes if they have historically won the top division then its daft.

If you interpret the song as it is being sung to the opposition fans of a club who won the league many moons ago and weren't old enough to be there then there is nothing wrong with singing it.

If it is sung to a Man United type team then it's ridiculous (I am yet to hear anyone sing it to a big team unless as a piss take)

You know what would solve it. Just sing 'Premier League Champions, You'll never sing that' and don't sing it to Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City or Blackburn.

All this bickering is pathetic.

7 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

FFS you are all correct. It's down to how you interpret the song.

If you interpret the song as it is being sung to the opposition club then yes if they have historically won the top division then its daft.

If you interpret the song as it is being sung to the opposition fans of a club who won the league many moons ago and weren't old enough to be there then there is nothing wrong with singing it.

If it is sung to a Man United type team then it's ridiculous (I am yet to hear anyone sing it to a big team unless as a piss take)

You know what would solve it. Just sing 'Premier League Champions, You'll never sing that' and don't sing it to Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City or Blackburn.

All this bickering is pathetic.

My point exactly. We could sing premier league champions you'll never sing that to most teams, end of problem.

Wouldn't be surprised if we weren't on TV. There will probably be 5 TV ties. 3 going to Arsenal, United, and Liverpool. Remember that United are playing an exciting Manchester Derby against Wigan as well. Spurs have a fierce London derby against Wycombe and Chelsea have the West London Derby against Brentford. Leeds will play either darling AFC Wimbledon or Sutton. Either of those teams will be given the FCUM treatment. Did I mention that Pep is in the 4th round? Or the London derby between Millwall and Watford? Who has heard of Derby and Leicester. East Midlands derby? What does that even mean?

34 minutes ago, NewEnglandFox said:

Wouldn't be surprised if we weren't on TV. There will probably be 5 TV ties. 3 going to Arsenal, United, and Liverpool. Remember that United are playing an exciting Manchester Derby against Wigan as well. Spurs have a fierce London derby against Wycombe and Chelsea have the West London Derby against Brentford. Leeds will play either darling AFC Wimbledon or Sutton. Either of those teams will be given the FCUM treatment. Did I mention that Pep is in the 4th round? Or the London derby between Millwall and Watford? Who has heard of Derby and Leicester. East Midlands derby? What does that even mean?

Most websites including the FA and BBC have pinned Derby vs Leicester out as one of the top three (in the headlines so to speak). So I think people know it is a derby match (not a Forest vs Derby but close enough). Chelsea vs Brentford is just "another" London derby, so is Millwall vs Watford (bigger distance apart than Leicester and Derby).

United vs Wigan (Saturday evening BT game)

Leicester vs Derby (Friday evening BBC)

Chelsea vs Brentford (Saturday lunch BT game)

16 hours ago, Jobyfox said:

Each to his own, but for someone (like me) who started watching football before the Premier League era it just comes across like people have either:

A. Been brainwashed by the media into thinking that football really was invented in 1992 and are being a bit thick

Or

B. Really are just a bit thick

....... or being a dim witted, drooling, simpleton if you prefer.

Just completely ignored the point i've made there but ok. It cringes me out too but don't necessarily think there's anything wrong with it

Archived