Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dan LCFC

Ranieri sacked

Players lost the plot, they couldn't cope with the psychological aftermath of achieving the impossible last season and the fame and fortune that followed. Its like you won the Euromillions and were told you had to go into work on Monday morning as normal.

Every one of them needed to be sat down with a shrink over the summer to get their heads straight.

No manager could have coped with that bunch of players and the head-f they were dealing with.

So easy for us to sit here and throw poo at all concerned. 

He deserved better.

First of all, Thank you Mr Claudio Ranieri, you gave me a season I couldn't have dreamed of in a million lifetime's of supporting this beloved club of mine. You forever Sir will be a Legend.

This decision can only be described as incredibly bitter but a tiny bit sweet.

Oh Claudio, why did you not just resign, leave with your head held high. It's the correct decision executed in the incorrect way.

It's time for the next chapter in our clubs history to begin, please let us fight and be "fearless" 

Finally the club's owners should do the right thing, at the end of the season, no matter what has happened, build that statue.....

9 hours ago, Lesteban said:

"Stats" meaning possession etc do generally mean sod all. This is points won after sacking managers, and takes into account a decent time period after the sacking. 

Points are fairly fundamental, as stats go. League tables are sort of based on it. 

Those stats don't distinguish between sackings at different stages in the season, positions in the league, nor how long the run of poor form was, and how that affects relegation.

Clubs whose managers stay tend to do better because at some point they started winning and kept their jobs. Clubs which realise they're in the process of getting relegated tend to change something, so obviously a large proportion of relegated sides at some point sacked their managers. And in most cases when a club which has sacked its boss goes down, it's highly unlikely the sacked party would have kept them up (e.g. Hughton and Meulenstein a few years back).

I'm also not sure that sacking an under-performing manager has been clearly, on the majority of occasions, the wrong decision in recent years. 

Three years back sacking the boss worked out beautifully for Palace and West Brom pre-Xmas, not so well for Fulham. After that it didn't work out for Cardiff and Fulham, but it did (in February) for Swansea. Norwich were already done for when they sacked their boss.

Two seasons ago four managers were sacked - by Brom, Palace, Villa and Sunderland. It worked out for all four clubs. Conversely, it also worked out for us to keep Pearson. But there were no sackings at the three clubs that went down.

Last season sacking the manager worked out nicely for Chelsea, who'd also just won the league, and it wasn't a disaster for Liverpool or, nearer the bottom, Swansea. Not so good for Newcastle or Villa in their dogfights, but then again Norwich went down and didn't change manager.

This season sacking the boss seems to have worked once, and not on another occasion, for Swansea. It may also work out alright for Hull, though perhaps not for Palace (even though, statistically, you'd have expected Sam to do well there).

So I don't think your stats are as overwhelmingly convincing as you make out.

Such sad news today. Like losing a member of the family. He deserves  huge gratitude for what he gave us as supporters. Many on here now can feel hopeful that we may yet again have a English manager. To be honest all along I felt many on here would never appreciate him because he wasn't English. Well I will surely miss him and hope we don't find another self centred, arrogant tw*t like Pearson. Someone like him with his personality would only take us back in the eyes of the public. 

Long live Emperor Claudio. Grazi per tutto

I'll be very interested to see what the whip is on the players with regards to social media posts in tribute to Ranieri. 

Would like to see which, if any, put stuff up. Sure the player liaison officer & media people in the club will be on them trying to get good messages out 

3 hours ago, rmahrez said:

Ranieri gave me the best memories of my life. I don't care if it was the logical decision, the man deserves better. Have some loyalty.

All hail King Claudio.

So you're saying we shouldn't have done the logical thing?

That's illogical captain.

No away wins this season, no league goal this year 2017, humiliating fa cup defeat. And no sing of improvement for the last 3 months. 

He he had to go it wasn't getting any better. All of the above makes last season seem even more of a miracle than it was.

i have said it before but he is guilty of poor tactics and team selection and he set the bar to low pre season. All of the 40 points is the target talk doesn't motivate the champions. 

I think he he is lucky to have kept his job until now he has been shocking.  There is a reason he has never kept a job long term even with success in the short term.  

6 minutes ago, Sammy said:

I'll be very interested to see what the whip is on the players with regards to social media posts in tribute to Ranieri. 

Would like to see which, if any, put stuff up. Sure the player liaison officer & media people in the club will be on them trying to get good messages out 

Well no players have put anything up yet, only liked the news on Instagram...

And Gray looked excited for the Drake gig 20mins after the announcement

The players didn't want him

This decision should have been made before the Swansea game. Bizarre timing now. 

I can only think that they were genuine in their support for him, but something has come to light since, that cannot be ignored.

My guess is that 90% of the squad are unhappy with Claudio and his methods, and the Chairman was made well aware of this, since he flew back to show his "support" for Claudio.

It's such a shame it has come to this. I don't care what we all say, last season's incredible triumph, will always be thrown back at us, with this decision and potential relegation still. 

I'm so angry at the players for allowing it to come to this. I accept Claudio has a lot to answer for too, and YES, he did ride a wave from Pearson's time here, but he still had a huge input last season and we couldn't have done it without him.

I suspect the players wanted this, so lets see what kind of reaction we get now. 

We are being lambasted in the media and by other fans, and rightly so, but of course we know more, and know that it is very likely Claudio would take us down. 

We do have a chance to finish this whole incredible journey with a happier ending though, but we HAVE to get the next appointment spot on.

If we manage to turn this around and stay up, then perhaps the media and public can forgive this decision a little more and maybe some of our disgruntled fans too. 

I think it is the right decision, but made at the wrong time. Lets not kid ourselves, last night was pretty much the same dross we have been watching all season, apart from a 20minute spell where we looked a little better. For the players sat on the bench to react like that to when we scored too, tells a story in itself. 

It will certainly take a while for the dust to settle and we will be very unpopular for a while yet. I just hope the owners have someone else lined up and we can see someone like Hiddink or Mancini. That will certainly soften the blow. I'm concerned of reports there is no one lined up though and very concerned that we could see Pardew or some other uninspiring manager join us! 

All in all, we are kidding ourselves if we don't think this will take the gloss off of our amazing achievement last season. All we can hope for now, is a smart appointment and a decent end to the season, so all these "experts" can eat their words when they call our owners a disgrace etc.

Thanks Claudio. A true legend and gent of the game. We are bigger than any manager and player though and we will go on and hopefully this decision will be proved to be right by the end of the season.

Mancini is 10/11 with sky. 

Im positive he can turn this club around, and who knows maybe he would stay even if he couldnt? Doubt it mind, but Benitez left Real madrid and is now sticking around for the champ. 

The owners have money, and they want to be a top 4 club, Personally I think Mancini is the kind of man who will come in, kick heads in, and command respect. 

12 minutes ago, Phube said:

Interesting read from the Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/02/23/claudio-ranieri-sacked-leicester-city-manager/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_tw‬

Seems Ranieri wasn't impressed with our recruitment either!

Interesting take on 'player power' 

players have underperformed this season but I do take the player power statement in a different way especially after reading that. 

The core of these players have been at the club for a good 4/5 years now, achieved plenty of great things and are probably (and hopefully) grateful for what the club have given them (Vardy for example). To me I read the article not as an inch of overpaid players looking to jump ship for next payment asap that just doesn't look a certain thing but players that actually care about the club. Asking for 442 as they must feel comfortable with this set up? Upset Grey isn't featuring as much? Aren't the fans asking this same question? And unhappy change of tactics 2 hours before games - of course this is going to cause uncertainty and effect mentality, surely people must understand they want a clear and decisive direction? 

I have witnessed some amazing times with these players before CR, with CR and I'm sure can still now! Sack the players is just a mental statement by any fan imho. 

47 minutes ago, Karljohn said:

If we had finished 17th last season would he have been sacked? Those players have shit on him, you know it, I know it. Mahrez strolling about, Drinkwater passing backwards, Morgan absolutely dreadful. Claudios downfall was showing loyalty for too long. I sincerely hope his replacement tears into them.

Yeah, ripping into a confidence-sapped squad will work wonders for morale... 

Archived