Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

Champions League quarter-final, first leg (A), pre-match thread: Atlético Madrid - Leicester City FC

43 minutes ago, Dennis118555 said:

how much did the train cost? We fly into Valencia on the Tuesday, was gonna hire a car, but if the train is reasonable may do that! Ps thanks for helping my drunken self get the flag down the other night ;)

No worries about the flag mate lol

The train was about £75 return with the booking fee. On the 07:10 and come back at 15:40 the following day. Cheaper if you fancy getting the early one back.

Thinking about it, it's probably one of the best draws we could have got. Only Monaco would have been better to get as although brilliant going forward they seem very caviler at the back.

Atletico are a fantastic team with a brilliant manager. Very unlucky not to already have won the competition, especially in their first final with Madrid when they were leading right up to the last minute of the game. They play similar to us and are possibly a better version of how we play, or at least I would have said that up to this season. They are obviously still a great team but they seem a bit weaker than last year. I wonder what they think of the draw because one thing you can usually guarantee is that Atletico will outfight the opposition in a game, but we are probably the only team left that could challenge them on this front.

I'd expect both legs to be battles of attrition and probably quite dour affairs, which suits us fine as proved with many of the grinder victories we had on our way to the title. We need to be fully awake furing the first leg and see out the storm and we are still in the tie in the second leg, anything could happen, especially if the atmosphere is as good as against Sevilla.

They are the favourites, but we have a chance! Very excited to see this game and you have to pinch yourself to realise we are discussing our team in the Champions League quarter finals on Foxes Talk!

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

I reckon the best way of doing this is hire a minibus, 12 plus a couple of drivers, leave at 6 at night, get there for 10 the next day, 500 cans of lager for the trip, sorted.

For a minute there I thought you were on about the possible tactics to use in the away leg!

Not sure which thread to put this in. It is an article by Rory Smith in the New York times. Saw another one in Facebook.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/14/sports/soccer/leicester-city-fc-sevilla-champions-league.html?rref=collection%2Fcolumn%2Fon-soccer&action=click&contentCollection=sports&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=2&pgtype=collection&_r=0

“But that does not diminish the sense that Leicester is a gate-crasher to what is traditionally an invite-only party. Leicester is not like any of the teams left. The soccer it plays stands at odds with all of the accepted axioms of the elite game; what the continent’s aristocrats would regard as vices, it treats as virtues.

That is Leicester’s weakness. It is also its greatest strength. Once again, it is the outsider, the exception, the outlier. It is a role the club is comfortable in, one it knows well, a context in which it has been able to find its identity, and its effect. Leicester and the Champions League? You wonder. You just wonder……”

Rory Smith New York Times March 15th

Stuck this in the tickets thread but for those that haven't seen it I've booked flights from east mids on Tuesday flying back after the match with a 4* star hotel including breakfast plus transfers to and from airport for £379, with sporting options, I also used them for Porto.

UEFA Champions League

Athletico Madrid v Leicester City

Wednesday 12th April 2017

Vicente Calderón Stadium, Madrid, Spain

Sportoptions.com arranging travel for football fans for over 25 years. We arranged Travel for Leicester City fans to Madrid in 1997 and in 2000 to Vienna (game against Red Star Belgrade) and also taken many Leicester fans on our England trips over the years. We have organised sucessful trips to Copenhagen, Porto and Seville this season.

Please note that for this match prices are a little higher than normal due to the start of the Easter Holidays, more expensive hotels in Madrid than Seville and limited aircraft availability.

Option One - Day trip Direct from EAST MIDLANDS

Depart from your local airport East Midlands 08:00 and fly direct to Madrid arriving 10:30 local time.

On arrival in Madrid we will transfer you by coach to the city centre or close to the official ticket pick-up location.

You will then have the rest of the day at leisure in this magnificent city, hopefully the weather will be good  and you can enjoy the local tapas bars and have a few drinks in the sunshine before the game.

You will need to make your own way to the stadium for the match. This can be easily done by local metro or taxi. Full details of how to do this will be given to you on your final itinerary.

After the match, we will park the buses as close to the visitor’s section as possible. However, in the past the police have made visiting coaches park approx 15-20 minutes’ walk away from the ground...  of course, our reps will be outside the away end to direct you to the buses but please be aware it may be a longer walk than normal. The system for this match may be better than in the past but we don't have those details as yet.

Depart Madrid 00:45 returning into East Midlands 02:30

£ 289pp

Price includes return flight, airport tax and coach transfers outlined above.

Price excludes match ticket.

Book online below now

Option Two - One Night Stay FLY FROM YOUR LOCAL AIRPORT EAST MIDLANDS

Depart Tuesday 11th April 10:00 and fly direct from EAST MIDLANDS to Madrid arriving 13:10 local time.

On arrival in Madrid we will transfer you by coach to your 4* superior centrally located hotel. The hotel has recently been refurbished and we have used it for many supporters groups in the past.

The rest of the afternoon is at your leisure. By arriving the day before the game you will have the opportunity to enjoy a good night out on the Tuesday and perhaps watch some of the other quarter finals on the t.v. You can also experience the great night life and restaurants of Madrid.

On Wednesday 12th April breakfast is included in the morning at your hotel. Coaches will arrive at the hotel at 11am for you to store your bag. These will be locked away on the coaches so you can enjoy another day in Madrid. You will need to make your own way  to the stadium for the match.

After the match, we will park the buses as close to the visitor’s section as possible. However, in the past the police have made visiting coaches park approx 15-20 minutes’ walk away from the ground..  of course, our reps will be outside the away end to direct you to the buses but please be aware it may be a longer walk than normal. The system for this match may be better than in the past but we don't have those details as yet.

Depart Madrid 00:55 returning into EAST MIDLANDS 02:35

Avoid the traffic jams coming back from London airports by arriving back into your local airport.

£ 379pp 4* Superior Twin share (Single Supplement £45)

Price includes return flight, airport tax, one night hotel and coach transfers outlined above.

Please note we do not include match tickets. There will be no refunds if you do not get a match ticket.

The wife spent most of today hunting down tickets and air flights. By mid afternoon she had it all locked up!! Flying from Maui through to Madrid,game tickets already arranged. Then next day to London for a few days with friends and the Palace game. Then off up to Leicester for the 2nd leg,ticket locked up. Then back to Maui via the Bahamas. Bless her?. Dare not even asking how much it's going to cost. Once in a lifetime experience!! What a time to be a City fan?

14 hours ago, Barwell Fox said:

The come back of 'We're going France, we're going France - you're not' was half decent as well. Dont think the Spanish coppers had ever seen football fans laugh before. They beat the hell out of the one Spanish lad who tried to get over to us. I flew over with the club, and the pub nearest the park where the coaches dropped us off had a Forset fan working behind the bar - but fair play to him he started off half of the songs.

That's right. Didn't also a rendition of 'Work in the morning you're going work in the morning' get an airing as well from the bus lot? I don't think we got back until Thursday morning at about 7 o'clock and I seem to remember there were TV reporters wanting details of our plight. I had to be in work for 9 after being on a bus for over 3 days.  

Yes, pretty good comebacks and as I remember that along with the Mark McGee cards and the fantastic atmosphere we created. I think at Marshall's goal it was pretty non stop support from our 3,000 / 4,000 and we more of less took over the stadium until their cheat of a penalty and late winner.

It was an absolutely magic trip and I think I got Compo.

13 hours ago, st albans fox said:

listening to the pre amble to the draw, if there are any dodgy decisions to be made then we can expect them to be headed in our direction. UEFA love our story

Scenes when we get through with a Remi Harrell level performance and the rest of the world busts a nut at cheating Leicester. I'd rather get justice than even, but getting even could be funny.

Posted this in the tickets thread, but for those who haven't seen it...

If anyone wants tickets for less than £200, saw this option yesterday.

Birmingham - Palma (20:25 - 23:55)

Palma - Madrid (6:25 - 8:00)

Madrid - Palma (8:25 - 10:10)

Palma - Birmingham (11:45 - 13:20)

Only downside is you have a 5/6 hour hold in Palma airport from midnight to 6:25am. But for those wanting to save money might be an option.

Search and book the two return flights separately. If you fly Monday evening, comes to £159. Tuesday evening £174.

I'm using Sport Options myself, never used them before but seems like a decent option at this stage.

Archived