Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

West Ham - Post Match Thread 2 - 3

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

He's missed several though.

He missed 3. Vardy missed 3 in just one game, not counting the other ones he failed , now think it through. He isn't playing well we all can reckon that, but saying he is terrible and a bad player is completely stupid.

Massive win. So lucky though. Schmeichel has single handedly given us the 3 points in that half.

3 wins out of 3 for Shakey, but this match has proved to me that he isn't the man for the job full time. It's been said that Skakespeare was very influential on Pearson's tactics when he was here and today was Pearson all over.

It was negligent to not make a substitution for 70 odd minutes and when he did, they were completely wrong. Tactically, the second half was an absolute shambles, in a match we should have completely killed within an hour.

Much like under Pearson, we decided to negate our strengths by sitting back and taking what we'd got rather than continuing to press and attack, which, as we all know, is the only way we can play.

The decision to bring Musa on was absolutely disgraceful. There's just no excuse for even considering that useless lump at all. With him and Slimani on and Vardy off we lost any outlet we could possible have. Gray also remained on the bench, despite the fact he'd have given West Ham something to worry about.

We inevitably came under pressure, and we didn't do a single thing to try and arrest the slide. I have got to seriously question what we were thinking for that last half an hour. There was just no thought put into anything at all.

It was certainly the correct decision to keep Shakey until the end of the season, as we needed the players on side to get us out of trouble. But he is not the man to get the most out of this squad, because he'll make the same tactical mistakes that Pearson did when we were bottom for 6 months.

2 minutes ago, Eagle10 said:

Yes putting them at 75 minutes, when your team is being completely dominated and couldn't do a play, and now it is their fault... What do you understand about football honestly?

To be fair, i didn't catch the match so you are probably right :D

Not seen that much from either of them before today tho unfortunately.

4 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Excuses, excuses.

Last season is not this season. I've seen hardly anything from Slimani, be it today or in past outings (apart from the header in the Champions League group stages) that suggests he's as good as Algerian football fans are making him out to be.

Sporting are laughing themselves to the bank.

£28m for that!!!

We aren't laughing because we lost one of our best ever strikers. And one thing is excuses, another thing is facts. I just stated facts. This season was just unlucky for him.

Whatever the reasons for our contrasting second half after the positivity of the first, this was a massive three points after the physical and mental strain of the Sevilla game.

West Ham away is never easy and to score three goals was the key to victory with Kasper seeing that our weakening back door wasn't finally split completely open.

In the aftermath I hope Shaky looks at his tactical decisions because we became desperate for reinforcements in defensive midfield and as help for Simpson on the right.

Quite why we involved Musa given such pressing needs I've no idea but both he and Slimani sounded disappointing with the latter, once again, missing a simple chance to score a fourth goal and end all the tension.

In the end though, and surprisingly given our first half ruthlessness with the goals from Mahrez, Huth and Vardy, it was Schmeichel who surely deserved to be man of the match and to lead us to our first away Premiership win of the season.

What an example the man is to emerge from being effectively our matchwinner on Wednesday to do just the same again today.

The three points were so precious. But I'm still worried about the strength of our bench once the starting team starts to wilt.

I suppose Shaky could point to the Slimani chance as evidence that he and Musa could bring some relief to the defence and pinch another goal but it didn't happen and West Ham could easily have pointed to at least three opportunities whereby they could and probably should have saved the game.

No matter. We won the game, took three away points to make it nine from 9 for Shaky and four successive wins and 11 goals nicely spread between them.

We can certainly look to improving but there's no way I'll be complaining.

It's a marvellous achievement and especially with so many tired bodies and minds out there. .  .

PS: Big congratulations to Benny too. Time and again he was there with a brave or vital header. Qualified for his warrior status and the right to call himself one of the lads. So pleased for him. 

1 minute ago, Eagle10 said:

He missed 3. Vardy missed 3 in just one game, not counting the other ones he failed , now think it through. He isn't playing well we all can reckon that, but saying he is terrible and a bad player is completely stupid.

Clever pass to Mahrez on Tuesday that led to the chance for Vardy at the end.

The problem is when you pay £30 million for a player your expectations are somewhat elevated, Slim runs around a lot granted chasing down the ball but he isn't great at winning aerial battles and misses far too many chances the jury is definitely out on that signing.

3 minutes ago, jim5000 said:

He probably had to give them a go to show he wouldn't just stick to the first 11. At least now he can legitimately forget about them?

Musa has been awful, and Silmani a massive disappointment. Best part of £50m there!

As a manager, he has to give players chances and then make a judgement based on how they take their opportunities. Benny today showed that he is a legitimate option as a CB for Premier League games which is great considering that Wague who we brought in is out for the season. Musa is surely in last chance saloon (and to be honest I feel he's way past that), whereas Slimani whilst not great I still think has a part to play. I think Slimani away at Atletico may even be someone we start with.

6 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Excuses, excuses.

Last season is not this season. I've seen hardly anything from Slimani, be it today or in past outings (apart from the header in the Champions League group stages) that suggests he's as good as Algerian football fans are making him out to be.

Sporting are laughing themselves to the bank.

£28m for that!!!

Correct

3 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

Massive win. So lucky though. Schmeichel has single handedly given us the 3 points in that half.

3 wins out of 3 for Shakey, but this match has proved to me that he isn't the man for the job full time. It's been said that Skakespeare was very influential on Pearson's tactics when he was here and today was Pearson all over.

It was negligent to not make a substitution for 70 odd minutes and when he did, they were completely wrong. Tactically, the second half was an absolute shambles, in a match we should have completely killed within an hour.

Much like under Pearson, we decided to negate our strengths by sitting back and taking what we'd got rather than continuing to press and attack, which, as we all know, is the only way we can play.

The decision to bring Musa on was absolutely disgraceful. There's just no excuse for even considering that useless lump at all. With him and Slimani on and Vardy off we lost any outlet we could possible have. Gray also remained on the bench, despite the fact he'd have given West Ham something to worry about.

We inevitably came under pressure, and we didn't do a single thing to try and arrest the slide. I have got to seriously question what we were thinking for that last half an hour. There was just no thought put into anything at all.

It was certainly the correct decision to keep Shakey until the end of the season, as we needed the players on side to get us out of trouble. But he is not the man to get the most out of this squad, because he'll make the same tactical mistakes that Pearson did when we were bottom for 6 months.

lol

Neither Musa or Slimani are bad players. Lacking in confidence perhaps but they aren't as bad as people are saying. 

As as to the result. Amazing all round. Players absolutely wiped out second half. 

Only concern were Shakey's changes which were stupid imo. 

Kasper - :schmike:

1 minute ago, The Guvnor said:

The problem is when you pay £30 million for a player your expectations are somewhat elevated, Slim runs around a lot granted chasing down the ball but he isn't great at winning aerial battles and misses far too many chances the jury is definitely out on that signing.

Missed 3 or 4 chances all season and that is missing to many? Yea right...

Archived