Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Palace away next up in the prem.

8 minutes ago, weller54 said:

One more victory gives us 39 points. 

Not sure that's enough. 

I usually reckon we need to match points with games played to survive and, so long as our goal difference isn't dramatically negated, I'd reckon 39 points should do it because there will be the factor of relegation rivals playing each other and at least one of them having to pick up points at a considerably better average than they've done so far and in a highly nerve-wracking situation. But I could be wrong. 

I've also considered one other factor and that is that a couple of our fixtures may involve others currently outside but close to the main relegation area who might themselves be needing say a point to be sure of surviving and it's not impossible there'd be a game in which both teams would survive with a draw. I'm sure it wouldn't be the first time neither of two contestants went flat out to beat the other due to the risks of conceding on the counter! :whistle:.    

20 minutes ago, Thracian said:

Our failings earlier in the season - and especially in January - have left us in a seriously awkward situation which is complicated by our glaring lack of suitable reinforcements in certain areas.

However, given our goal difference and the still considerable potential  there is for progressing still further in the Champions League, I can only conclude that we should keep our nerve and continue to make the Champions League result the priority.

Why? Because I think we'll lose against Palace anyway and because we have other fixtures further on which offer us a more realistic chance of collecting the single victory which we need to secure our Premiership status through being 100 per cent fit, focused and undistracted.

But it still leaves me feeling uncomfortable because I'm hoping for things which might not come about.

A cross all We fans have to bear...

Stat time 

• Crystal Palace have alternated between victory and defeat in their four home Premier League games against Leicester, keeping a clean sheet in each win and failing to score in each defeat.
  • After winning just one of their first six Premier League games against Crystal Palace (D1 L4), Leicester have since won the last three in a row.
  • Indeed, this is the first time Leicester have won three in a row against the Eagles in all competitions since March 1925 – they’ve never won four consecutively against them.
  • Sam Allardyce has won his last two home games against reigning Premier League champions as a manager, beating Manchester City with West Ham in 2014-15 and beating Chelsea with Sunderland in 2015-16.
  • Crystal Palace have won five of their last six Premier League matches (L1). Before this run, they’d won five games in 26 attempts in the Premier League.
  • Both Crystal Palace and Leicester have won 15 of a possible 18 points in their last six Premier League games – the only side to have won more points in their last six PL matches are Spurs (18).
  • The Eagles have won their last three league games at Selhurst Park – they haven’t won four top-flight home games in a row since December 1990. Wilfried Zaha and Andros Townsend had yet to be born when this occurred.
  • Wilfried Zaha has assisted nine goals for Crystal Palace in the Premier League this season, equalling the record by an Eagles’ player in a single PL campaign (Wayne Routledge, nine in 2004-05).
  • Leicester City have won four and lost just two of their eight Premier League away games in London since the start of last season (W4 D2 L2)
  • Islam Slimani has scored 35 league goals since the start of 2015-16, 16 of which have been from headers (46%). In the same period, Crystal Palace have scored just one more headed goal in the league (17).

I think there will be rotation, but it will be the players who did not play against Everton will come in, and those who started against both Everton and Athletico will be rested with the exception of Kasper.

As for relegation if we win one game between now and the end of the season Swansea need to win 4 of their 6 or Hull need 3 wins and a draw. With only Southampton and WBA already on a beach, I don't think either side are good enough to go on this sort of run. Swanseas failure to beat either Boro or West Ham in recent weeks will be their undoing and I expect them to struggle away at Watford and Man Utd, with Everton at home also an incredibly tough game.

For us

Kapser

Simpson

Huth

Benny

Chilwell (Fuchs is getting on and will need another rest, Chilwell is the best of our second string and will be fine)

Mahrez (will give Jeff nightmares)

King

Ndidi

Gray

Okazaki

Slimani

Their full backs are not well supported by their wingers and Their full backs like to get forwards. Gray and Mahrez will get lots of space.

Going 2-0 City and safety assured.

I'd play Slimani, Ulloa and just fuching hoof it all game. Maybe give Mendy a game if fit, perhaps even play Fuchs (for a half) or Amartey at CB if that is what we are planning to do on Tuesday. Gray obviously for Albrighton but maybe give Albrighton 30 minutes like we did against Sunderland. Would take a draw. We have to sacrifice this game even though we're still capable of winning it with mostly second string.

If Shakey has any idea to play Armartey at center back against Athletico, then he has to start him in this game to see how he does. Even if Wes starts against Athletico we still may need Armartey if Wes breaks down. I would give Albrighton and Fuchs only 45 minutes and rest Drinkwater and Riyad. Start Slimani to keep him sharp and give Ulloa at least 30 minutes. Play Gray for 90 minutes. We have to see that we have the energy needed to defeat Athletico. 

Happy to take a draw at Palace seeing as they're on a run and we're probably going to have a couple of changes in preparation for the second leg. A point would be massive, but we have to be a lot ore organised and battle more than we did at Everton otherwise that front four could destroy us.

Guest Danny Clender

Whilst I recommend thee to suck an egg.

The problem with resting players and accepting defeat in this particular game is, if we win against Athletico then we'll be in the same position 2 or 3 weeks down the line when the semi's are played. 

The Everton game was a luxury and the rotation/resting worked really well, but I see this is a game we can get points from.

That means playing full strength. 

Shakey really does know best though, so in all honesty I have no worries at all. 

The team will have a plan. 

I've not believed in a manager so much since Pearson in League 1. 

3 hours ago, FoxonMaui said:

If Shakey has any idea to play Armartey at center back against Athletico, then he has to start him in this game to see how he does. Even if Wes starts against Athletico we still may need Armartey if Wes breaks down. I would give Albrighton and Fuchs only 45 minutes and rest Drinkwater and Riyad. Start Slimani to keep him sharp and give Ulloa at least 30 minutes. Play Gray for 90 minutes. We have to see that we have the energy needed to defeat Athletico. 

Is Wes definitely out then? For the Athletico game I mean

They dont have the same intimidating presence as atletico away but if we were told that we were playing a team in the Champions League who have recently beaten Chelsea away and Arsenal to a lesser extent we'd be wary. Sam would love to beat us.No end of smugness after if it happens.

I'd settle for a draw as it would keep us just ahead of Palace with their tough games after.Spurs playing Bournemouth beforehand is ideal from the point of teams close to us and would be good to keep the 2 clubs at arms length.

A bit awkward for the fans who go. Security will be on their toes after Wednesday.

Guest CityFan 06

I think two more wins would see us safe. Need one here really otherwise Palace will continue to make up ground on us. Don't want to be dragged into it again, and we cannot be complacent or take our foot of the gas as we're not safe. I'd take a draw in this one, however. 

For the record even when Palace were struggling under Allardyce to start with, I still felt he'd get them right, and seemingly has done. Very good at keeping teams up. Good manager at the end of the day. 

weakened team = tonking 3-4 - 0 and we are back among the mix.. We will not win the CL.. PL survival is far more important.. I find it crazy how some people think we are safe already.. Full strength team please Shakey.. Go down and you (Shakey) will not be here come August and the Club will be facing a financial disaster and the prospect of trips to Bristol.

9 hours ago, Wizerud said:

I'd play Slimani, Ulloa and just fuching hoof it all game. Maybe give Mendy a game if fit, perhaps even play Fuchs (for a half) or Amartey at CB if that is what we are planning to do on Tuesday. Gray obviously for Albrighton but maybe give Albrighton 30 minutes like we did against Sunderland. Would take a draw. We have to sacrifice this game even though we're still capable of winning it with mostly second string.

I would love us to do that ...why do teams always leave until the last ten minutes of a game to do it

can see us doing this for the last ten minutes on Tuesday

4 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

weakened team = tonking 3-4 - 0 and we are back among the mix.. We will not win the CL.. PL survival is far more important.. I find it crazy how some people think we are safe already.. Full strength team please Shakey.. Go down and you (Shakey) will not be here come August and the Club will be facing a financial disaster and the prospect of trips to Bristol.

Not a chance, weakened team and throw the palace game, we need everything for the Champions league.:schmike:

1 hour ago, mozartfox said:

Come on man!

Dilly ding dilly dong, we're champions league man.

Show some ambition.

its the pinnacle of club football for god sake.

Surviving in the premier league is important, yes but it's not the be all and end all, especially as we have wealthy but more importantly, honourable owners who will see us right.

We are now 3 games away from the biggest game there is in club football and the way some fans talk it's as if we've got some unwanted midweek away game to Barnsley.

I say rest every fooker, including the fans. We all need to be fresh and ready.

I was going to say we all need to be fit but I'd need considerably more time.... lol 

Archived