Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Palace away next up in the prem.

Shows why we shouldn't have shipped Hernandez out after only 6 months and how light we are in midfield. We simply cant rest both Drinkwater and Ndidi together, and Danny is running on fumes at the moment. Imagine if we had held onto Inler.

If we're testing Huth's replacement wouldn't it be sensible to play Benny and Amartey at the back? Or Benny and Was? Both Amartey and Was need game time at CB. Ndidi and King in midfield for me feeding Slimani and Musa up front. Maybe Vardy for 45 although he was absent against Everton.

If Drinky is playing with a knock there's no excuse to play him.

4 hours ago, Danny Clender said:

Whilst I recommend thee to suck an egg.

The problem with resting players and accepting defeat in this particular game is, if we win against Athletico then we'll be in the same position 2 or 3 weeks down the line when the semi's are played. 

The Everton game was a luxury and the rotation/resting worked really well, but I see this is a game we can get points from.

That means playing full strength. 

Shakey really does know best though, so in all honesty I have no worries at all. 

The team will have a plan. 

I've not believed in a manager so much since Pearson in League 1. 

Claudio when we lifted the PL title in the last home game?

3 hours ago, CityFan 06 said:

I think two more wins would see us safe. Need one here really otherwise Palace will continue to make up ground on us. Don't want to be dragged into it again, and we cannot be complacent or take our foot of the gas as we're not safe. I'd take a draw in this one, however. 

For the record even when Palace were struggling under Allardyce to start with, I still felt he'd get them right, and seemingly has done. Very good at keeping teams up. Good manager at the end of the day. 

We won't need two wins unless you expect Hull to win four out their last six AND Swansea to win five out their last six?

A draw would be a fantastic result for us as it keeps Palace at arms length and every point is huge when you're on 36pts. We may already have enough points to survive but 17th place will probably have 37/38 points this season?

As with the Everton match I'm more than happy to pick this team as a bi product with the optimal selection fully on Atletico Madrid on Tuesday. It's a bad time to play Palace with our priorities being elsewhere but I want us to be as best prepared for Atletico as possible and if the relegation battle gets tighter for us later on then we'll deal with it.

3 hours ago, SkidsFox said:

We need to win or draw this game. No good having a poor performance and then expecting the team to get their mojo back for Atletico. Once you lose confidence it gets harder every game to get a result.

But Shakespeare has to deal with the realities. What to do about tired or injured players, who best to trust with unexpected responsibility, who to risk when balanced against the cover he has in case of injury and so on. There are so many factors.

Victories over Stoke and Sunderland have thankfully given us some options that have become less risky than they might have been and I don't think confidence will be a factor given the platform we've built for the Champions League second leg next week.

What's become plain is that we need to balance our resources sensibly and with due consideration for what's coming up and the options we have for planning our way to success.

Ours are fairly good problems to have. A season that can still be successful and fringe players who might yet give themselves more to celebrate than they might have imagined and who might therefore be quite reasonably trusted to offer their very best against Palace.

Ulloa and Slimani  - both of them dangerous players - come to mind but Kingy too, Benny and perhaps even one or two more.   

The reason we have a squad is to deal with problems like a fixtures pile-up and an additional plus of the Shakespeare reign has been getting several of our squad members properly and seemingly happily involved again.

.And that being the case I'm happy for Shakespeare to do as he chooses against Palace. Indeed I think he could feature a perfectly competitive team while still protecting certain aspects of his potential Champions League line-up, ie the positions that are less easily covered or the players who might most need some respite.      

Its a tough one. Im sure the players would rather go into Tuesdays game knowing they are on 39 points and almost safe. We havent beaten Bournemouth yet since they were promoted and Watford are no mugs. Need at least a point tomorrow.

1 minute ago, midland_red said:

really need defeats for Swansea and Dull tomorrow - both playing away too

If Leicester, Swansea and Hull all lose tomorrow it will be a decent weekend for us especially if we rest a lot of the first XI.

Just now, Gerard said:

If Leicester, Swansea and Hull all lose tomorrow it will be a decent weekend for us especially if we rest a lot of the first XI.

yeah, if Dull and Swansea both lose I think one of them will be set for the final relegation spot. I'm assuming that it's all over for Boro and Blunderland

4 minutes ago, midland_red said:

yeah, if Dull and Swansea both lose I think one of them will be set for the final relegation spot. I'm assuming that it's all over for Boro and Blunderland

All the teams from 10th downwards will have one eye on Swansea and Hull and hoping at least one of them just capitulate between now and the end of the season.

It's good that both teams are playing teams on 36 and 37 points as both Watford and Stoke will be highly motivated to win tomorrow and virtually secure their Premier League safety. A loss for Watford or Stoke will have them worried about being caught by the victors in their matches.

On 4/11/2017 at 09:57, Thracian said:

Nailed on defeat for me too. Schlupp is making a nonsense of people's assessment of his value on here, as I thought he would. He's become first choice at left-back at a time when Palace have started winning, being much more solid in defence and being adept at breaking forward with breathtaking effect.

Any notion that Chilwell is or was the better option was always wishful thinking. I think Schlupp felt insulted by his treatment at Leicester after our title success and clearly wanted out there's n way young Chilwell can match his strength and raw pace at full-back for all that he's quite a cultured footballer for a defender.

Schlupp will be up for the Leicester game big time and his team will be bouyant after their 3-0 win over Arsenal. They've always posed an attacking threat but Palace will also be mean as Scrooge in defence under Allardyce and I can only see them winning by two or three goals especially with our heads being turned towards the Champions League games.

It's rare for me to feel like this. But i'll be going against the habit of a lifetime and putting money on it, just as I was sure we'd lose to Everton.

Our first choice players will be physically and mentally drained and we don't have the reserves to beat a poor Millwall team let alone an emerging, quick and well-organised team like Crystal Palace.

I hope I'm wrong of course but we burst our own bubble at Everton and I think we'll struggle now to blow another. Momentum is an important thing in football teams and while I well understand Shakespeare and many on here insisting we need our first team fit and fresh for the challenge against Atletico Madrid, I doubt we'll be able to just flick a switch and regain the cohesion we showed during our winning streak.

We're kind of mortal now and opponents will have seen some of our limitations. Four goals conceded through one of the worst first half defensive performances I've seen in top class football will hardly discourage the opposition especially as there seems no hope of the over-maligned Morgan returning.

I sincerely hope Shakespeare's got an innovative Plan B for our defensive strategy on Wednesday - a match when I'd certainly be thinking of using Ulloa - because, without one, we're facing the prospect of a real hammering.             

I'm afraid this is how I see it too. And no one is going to tell me that Chilwell looks a better replacement for Fuchs than Schlupp did.

Archived