Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UPinCarolina

Premier League, 2017-2018 Season Thread

It really was a bonkers season. Southampton and West Ham were both brilliant, and would have received all sorts of praise if it wasn't for us (they would have finished 5th and 6th).

I was talking to a couple of neutral mates about it last week, and they were talking about important results. Man City away came up, as did West Ham beating Spurs. The one which sticks out in my mind now, which didn't so much at the time, was Arsenal drawing at Spurs. I didn't know who I wanted to win before the match, and neither side was far off us at the time. The draw was huge in stopping either from building any momentum- Arsenal had a bit of a reputation for ending the season strongly at the time, and if Spurs' winning run had started a game or two earlier, who knows what might have happened?

25 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

It really was a bonkers season. Southampton and West Ham were both brilliant, and would have received all sorts of praise if it wasn't for us (they would have finished 5th and 6th).

I was talking to a couple of neutral mates about it last week, and they were talking about important results. Man City away came up, as did West Ham beating Spurs. The one which sticks out in my mind now, which didn't so much at the time, was Arsenal drawing at Spurs. I didn't know who I wanted to win before the match, and neither side was far off us at the time. The draw was huge in stopping either from building any momentum- Arsenal had a bit of a reputation for ending the season strongly at the time, and if Spurs' winning run had started a game or two earlier, who knows what might have happened?

Yea good shout. Didn't we win at Watford that same evening on Sky? 1-0 Riyad.

I think so. That whole week was where everything tipped massively in our favour- it looked as though we had opened the door by drawing at home to West Brom, but Arsenal and Spurs were beaten the following evening then drew on the Saturday.

In the end, we ended up 3 points better off despite a disappointing result.

• Like 1

Southampton had a couple of decent seasons - I remember they got slated for sacking Adkins and replacing him with Pochettino. Pochettino finished 7th I think before moving to Spurs and then Koeman finished 7th and then 6th. Don't underestimate how well they both did with Southampton, who lost their best players in that time too but somehow brought in better players (Van Dijk, Mane etc). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ted Maul said:

I think so. That whole week was where everything tipped massively in our favour- it looked as though we had opened the door by drawing at home to West Brom, but Arsenal and Spurs were beaten the following evening then drew on the Saturday.

In the end, we ended up 3 points better off despite a disappointing result.

Don't forget as well for all we recovered from the Arsenal loss well, Arsenal followed it up pathetically. Lost 3-2 at a massively under strength Man Utd and then lost at home to Swansea. And it was our mentality people questioned.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BrummieFOX said:

Yea good shout. Didn't we win at Watford that same evening on Sky? 1-0 Riyad.

That week was the most pivotal. We looked like we opened the door midweek by drawing at home to West Brom, but next day Spurs lost to West Ham and Atsenal lost pathetically at home to Swansea. Few days later on the Saturday Spurs v Arsenal was the early KO and I remember on here there was a collective ejaculation when Sanchez equalised, perfect result for us. Late kick off we beat Watford and we finished the week 3 points better off. 

That week was probably the most pivotal week of the season where the pendulum switched our way. 

Fecking mental season that was.

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

Don't forget as well for all we recovered from the Arsenal loss well, Arsenal followed it up pathetically. Lost 3-2 at a massively under strength Man Utd and then lost at home to Swansea. And it was our mentality people questioned.

Hilarious really. Pundits and neutrals thought that we would crumble just because we're a smaller club. Little did they know that our boys became hard as f**king nails mentally after their experience at Vicarage Road.

We ground out the kind of results that Ferguson's United sides were lauded for throughout their era of dominance. Meanwhile, Arsenal disappeared and Spurs dropped points whenever the going got remotely tough. Some of their fans still even had the nerve to suggest they were the best team in the league.

2 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

Hilarious really. Pundits and neutrals thought that we would crumble just because we're a smaller club. Little did they know that our boys became hard as f**king nails mentally after their experience at Vicarage Road.

We ground out the kind of results that Ferguson's United sides were lauded for throughout their era of dominance. Meanwhile, Arsenal disappeared and Spurs dropped points whenever the going got remotely tough. Some of their fans still even had the nerve to suggest they were the best team in the league.

I've seen people on here even still claim Tottenham have been the best team in the league for the last couple of years. 

:revenge:

30 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I've seen people on here even still claim Tottenham have been the best team in the league for the last couple of years. 

:revenge:

Not in each season but over the course of the last two seasons they have been.

5 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

Won naff all though. I imagine their fans would have hated Arsenal for their 'we play the best football' argument a few years ago as well.

Which is incredibly frustrating for their fans, if they weren't such ***** I'd feel sorry for them 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Wookie said:

Which is incredibly frustrating for their fans, if they weren't such ***** I'd feel sorry for them 

Aye, I'd also probably be firmly behind them in their quest for a league title as well. As it is, I hope they continue to win naff all, losing their manager and players in the process. 

Wouldn't be surprised if Hodgson was the favourite to be sacked if Palace don't pick up at least a point in their next three games.

If Burnley can get a point against the 'top' sides, then Palace can if they believe in themselves.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

If he does then they're even more short sighted than I thought they were, and that's saying something. I'm far from a Hodgson fan but you can't expect a manager to come in and pick a team up from 4 defeats and 0 goals with a set of fixtures like that.

For all questions aimed at Leicester are valid, at least we aren't Palace.

Anyone else starting to worry about them not scoring yet? If anyone could end a run of a team not scoring until December 16th of a season it's yours truly.

1 hour ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Wouldn't be surprised if Hodgson was the favourite to be sacked if Palace don't pick up at least a point in their next three games.

If Burnley can get a point against the 'top' sides, then Palace can if they believe in themselves.

This is why I don't like people making excuses for us only having 4 points. "Oh we have had a horrible set of fixtures" 

If Burnley can go to Liverpool, Tottenham, Chelsea and pick up 5 points then we should be more than good enough to get at least a point a piece from Chelsea & Liverpool.

• Like 1

Burnley are incredibly lucky in these games though and it's really not sustainable for them to pick points up in those games. I agree however that we can't just write off all difficult games as losses and we can't forever 'give them a game', at some point sooner rather than later we'll need to pick up a few points against the top 6.

How has the Guardian Podcast been this season? Does Barry Glendenning still hate us? Do they still ask if the listeners saw 2 or 3 quirky things that were on /r/soccer? Do they still take a jab at Trump in every episode?

I stopped listening to it in Jan/Feb right before we fired Claudio and am thinking about going back as I've been disappointed in The Game this season. I like Marcotti but think think there have to be better podcasts out there.

2 hours ago, Wookie said:

Not in each season but over the course of the last two seasons they have been.

If you've not got anywhere near a title in that time (and let's be fair, they haven't - they stayed a solid 5-7 points behind us from the start of March onwards, we had enough points for the title in the end after Sunderland, 5 games still to go; and Chelsea strolled home last year) you're not the best side in the division. Consistent across the two, but consistently not quite good enough still adds up to not the best side.

Just now, The Doctor said:

If you've not got anywhere near a title in that time (and let's be fair, they haven't - they stayed a solid 5-7 points behind us from the start of March onwards, we had enough points for the title in the end after Sunderland, 5 games still to go; and Chelsea strolled home last year) you're not the best side in the division. Consistent across the two, but consistently not quite good enough still adds up to not the best side.

Because both ourselves and Chelsea have had a brilliant season and a terrible one that leaves Spurs as the best side over the two. It's completely meaningless but true all the same.

22 minutes ago, Wookie said:

Burnley are incredibly lucky in these games though and it's really not sustainable for them to pick points up in those games. I agree however that we can't just write off all difficult games as losses and we can't forever 'give them a game', at some point sooner rather than later we'll need to pick up a few points against the top 6.

That's the frustration for me... for all the people saying 'we'll beat the mid-table sides', that's great and in my view true, but if we want to break into the top 7 and attain a European place, we have to pick up some points against the top 6, so we can't regard them as free hits.

Liverpool at home was a game that should have yielded at least a point, they're not that good - and all the time we're continually losing these games, we're consigning ourselves to mid-table mediocrity at best.

Edited by Devonfox1884
  • Like 1