Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UPinCarolina

Premier League, 2017-2018 Season Thread

1 hour ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

This is why I don't like people making excuses for us only having 4 points. "Oh we have had a horrible set of fixtures" 

If Burnley can go to Liverpool, Tottenham, Chelsea and pick up 5 points then we should be more than good enough to get at least a point a piece from Chelsea & Liverpool.

And Stoke got 4 points against Manchester United and Arsenal at home.

Liverpool (and Arsenal) aren't as tough as playing Manchester United/Manchester City/Chelsea.

1 minute ago, Wookie said:

Because both ourselves and Chelsea have had a brilliant season and a terrible one that leaves Spurs as the best side over the two. It's completely meaningless but true all the same.

I get the metric, it's just an utterly stupid measurement. Us and Chelsea had a season where we were the best, and one where we were mediocre. Spurs have just been consistently not the best side in the division, but being consistently not quite the best side doesn't make you the best side, it's bollocks by definition.

Just now, The Doctor said:

I get the metric, it's just an utterly stupid measurement. Us and Chelsea had a season where we were the best, and one where we were mediocre. Spurs have just been consistently not the best side in the division, but being consistently not quite the best side doesn't make you the best side, it's bollocks by definition.

It's a pretty daft thing to be discussing anyway, we sound like Spurs fans now lol

11 minutes ago, NewEnglandFox said:

How has the Guardian Podcast been this season? Does Barry Glendenning still hate us? Do they still ask if the listeners saw 2 or 3 quirky things that were on /r/soccer? Do they still take a jab at Trump in every episode?

I stopped listening to it in Jan/Feb right before we fired Claudio and am thinking about going back as I've been disappointed in The Game this season. I like Marcotti but think think there have to be better podcasts out there.

James Richardson has left, and Max Rushden is the new host. Barry Glendenning is still a miserable unfunny ****. The other guests are fine IMO. I'm as lefty as it gets but even I get a bit tired of their political jabs but it is the Guardian so I guess they have to. 

The football content itself is alright. I used to be an avid listener but now I only listen now and again.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Koke said:

James Richardson has left, and Max Rushden is the new host. Barry Glendenning is still a miserable unfunny ****. The other guests are fine IMO. I'm as lefty as it gets but even I get a bit tired of their political jabs but it is the Guardian so I guess they have to. 

The football content itself is alright. I used to be an avid listener but now I only listen now and again.

Just to say the Totally Football Show which is what James Richardson presents now is generally excellent. Good guests. Good round-up with a variety of topics.

Even this weekend Michael Cox of Zonal Marking thinks we will get 7th or 8th this season. 

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but Gareth Barry will break Ryan Giggs' record for PL appearances if he plays tonight. He won the PL & FA Cup with Man City and got 53 England caps - not a bad career really!

Fair play to him I say. Nothing fancy or special but solid and dependable. Kept himself pretty fit and injury free and never courted much publicity off the pitch from what I can remember.

Here's a stupid BBC sport quiz on him if you're bored. I got 3/10 lol

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41293513

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but Gareth Barry will break Ryan Giggs' record for PL appearances if he plays tonight. He won the PL & FA Cup with Man City and got 53 England caps - not a bad career really!

Fair play to him I say. Nothing fancy or special but solid and dependable. Kept himself pretty fit and injury free and never courted much publicity off the pitch from what I can remember.

He's still no Andy King.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Same as you 3/10. 

I got questions 1,2 & 7 correct.

7 minutes ago, Hammo said:

Surprise surprise. Ref fails to give obvious pen against big club at home. Arsehole Whinger would be having a fit if that had happened the other end.

It would never have happened, Sanchez would have awarded a penalty with his trusty assistant Ramsey backing up his decision.

1 hour ago, Koke said:

Glendenning used to be really good. Subtly funny and his vibe was that he was a fan rather than a journalist (obviously he's actually a journalist).

He then seemed to phase out the fandom, became incredibly cynical and focussed pretty much entirely on trying to be funny, which had the predictable effect of making him less funny.

His ramblings about us last season were barely comprehensible and it was clear he wasn't watching us at all.

I quite like Max Rushden, he seems quite unassuming and basically fills the fan seat that Glendenning used to be responsible for.

That said I do find it strange that Glendenning and Rushden do a Talk Sport show together as well, often (unsurprisingly) talking about the same things as on the Pod. Sort of ruins the point of the Podcast for me.

There's a wider point on the political side which I won't go into in great detail (at the risk of de-railing the thread) except to say that I found their handling of the Lukaku chant business to be utterly patronising and symbolic of the problem that many people falsely associate with "the left" - that they absolutely refuse to engage with anybody not whole-heartedly agreeing with their stance on an issue. I don't really have a strong opinion on it one way or the other (and reading the thread of general chat I don't think I'm alone) but I can't be the only listener who felt lectured and made to feel like a piece of shit for not immediately condemning it as egregious.

Time wasting when you are 2-0 down. What's the point? The first half showed that they can create chances and get into the opposition area but the second was a total non-event.

Pulis has a self-created ceiling and cannot break it.