Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

Shakespeare

4 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

That Chelsea game was a mess. I don't know how anyone can seriously compare that tactically with what happened tonight. Fuchs literally had no clue where he was meant to be that night.

Ranieri was accused after the Chelsea game, that he confused

the players by changing the formation shortly before the game.

CS changed the formation today during half-time and the players

had no problem with it.

Obviously our players can adapt on very short notice, if they

want to.

32 minutes ago, Max Power said:

He's defo way, way more than some geezer who the players get on with. Perfect switch at HT, brave and decisive.

Exactly this.

Very impressed with him tonight. He understands football and is tactically intelligent. I actually think he's tactically better than he's given credit for.

As for new players wanting to sign for a big name manager. 10 of the 11 starters tonight was signed by Pearson. And Pearson left TWO years ago. I'd love to go back to signing good efficient players who will contribute to the cause. 

Just now, Struwwelpeter60 said:

had no problem with it.

want to.

Shakespeare said in interviews that they had worked on changes that might be made if situations arose, such as going 1 down. It showed.

It was the change mid match against Chelsea that was dumb. We had 2 left backs and a CB on the pitch and no other defenders, could probably get Ranieri sectioned on that alone. It was mad.

If you genuinely watched both then I don't know how you can view both the same tactically. Or you still beating the "players not trying" drum?

5 minutes ago, Struwwelpeter60 said:

had no problem with it.

want to.

Ranieri's changes were daft, unplanned and didn't suit the players. Shakespeare drilled the players to be prepared. Ranieri is suited to managing different teams, not ours. Who that team is, where he can have continued, long term success, he can continue to look for. It was the best decision for the club. Tonight proved that

9 minutes ago, Struwwelpeter60 said:

had no problem with it.

want to.

Ranieri played 352 against Chelsea then he played a 442 diamond next game against Southampton then he went back to standard 442 next game against Burnley. The players didn't understand their roles. It was a mess. They all looked lost. Tonight they were all drilled to an inch of their lives. Everyone understood their roles and tactics. That's the difference.

Shakespeare should get the permanent job. No doubt about it for me. He's got so much going for him.

If we didn't offer him a deal and plumped for a has-been 'name' I would lose a shit load of faith in this club going forward. It would yet again display a total mis-understanding from the club about what fundamentally makes us tick.

8 minutes ago, Koke said:

Ranieri played 352 against Chelsea then he played a 442 diamond next game against Southampton then he went back to standard 442 next game against Burnley. The players didn't understand their roles. It was a mess. They all looked lost. Tonight they were all drilled to an inch of their lives. Everyone understood their roles and tactics. That's the difference.

If Sampaoli had turned a performance around with such a tactical change he would be getting linked to Barcelona for it.

The answer is staring us right in the face. Back this man and let him build us. He knows how to do it. He was a big part of the team that got us here in the first place.

Rob Kelly comparisons are ridiculous. I couldn't care less if appointing interim managers has failed elsewhere. It's another example of people missing the point. They don't fail because they were interim managers - they fail because they're the wrong man. Shakespeare I'm convinced is the right man.

In addition it's really important the owners realise that we have to continue to be innovative in order to compete with the top sides, we won't beat them at their own game, we could hire all the best coaches in the world but you need to play to your sides strengths. To do anything but that now would require a total rebuild in all departments, squad/staff etc - and even if we managed to do that right i couldn't see us doing anything more next year than around 10th.

We won the Premier League because we approached our football in a different way to the others - and it worked, it's gained us worldwide attention and a massive reputation as the world's underdog side - marketing wise we need to try and keep that reputation to help build the brand (to help them as buisnessmen)

The only sticking issue is that they brought in Claudio - and then we won the league, I hope that doesn't lead to a short-sighted view that they need to bring in a Wenger/Hiddink/Hodgeson type to try and replicate the whole "you work with Shakey and the backroom staff" ideal - because that's not going to work again, not to mention I wouldn't blame Shakey or anyone else for not wanting to do that again. I really hope the owners don't fall into that trap.

Shakey has proven to me he's tactically astute, for example 3-5-2 is a decent formation for us and this group of players and has shown us a lot of success in the past - his eagerness to use that shows a great backup plan - we battered Atletico second half with it! It's Shakey all the way until proven otherwise, let him make adjustments and get the staff as he wants - coaches etc and let's go again next season with him having had a full pre season to get the team ready for a new challenge.

I just had a funny thought...what if Shakey brought in NP as his assistant lol (obviously it'd never happen) - at least Nige could avoid media duties - Shakey handles it a bit better in all honesty.

2 hours ago, foxes21 said:

loved his post-match interview. when he said the players want more of this, it gave me hope for next season.

we could have another successful season on our hands next year..

I find it laughable that any fan would want an alternative to Shakespeare as manager. The bloke's been excellent. Even tonight in the circumstances. 

It has to be offered to him in my opinion. 

He has shown that he is capable of motivating the squad and making effective tactical changes during a game. 

if we don't offer him the position full time then another club will snap him up.

i think he is the best chance we have got of keeping the current squad together and also

Shakey is in a position where he already knows who the dead wood is so he will not have to waste weeks of pre-season training analysing them all. 

I just hope that whoever does become the next permanent manager continues to shape us up as a counter attacking team. 

10 games in charge. 6 wins. 2 draws. 2 losses.

My question to those who want to give it to someone else in the summer..

Will you live to regret that decision if a new man comes in, with new ideas and it doesn't work. 

At the moment, we have a Manager who has a win percentage of 60%. Why would we be looking to change that for an unknown?

Seems crazy to me. Obviously see how we finish the season, but he has definitely earned his chance and has actually really impressed me and like others have said, his comments tonight about the player's having a taste for nights like this and wanting more of them, just shows how ambitious he is. 

Players like him, he is getting results and so I can see no logically reason to disrupt that. 

54 minutes ago, Struwwelpeter60 said:

had no problem with it.

want to.

You're comedy gold mate. 

As the man on the touchline, he's certainly done enough for me. Sensible but astute substitutions, the players look motivated and appear to know their jobs.

I would like to know more about his plans should he get the job permanently. How he wants us to play, how he wants to develop the team, succession planning for the ageing players, what kind of players he would want to sign. But I guess we fans won't find this out until the decision has been made.

Judging manager talent by the names that were tossed around when ranieri was sacked straight up scares me. 

Id rather go with a manager who understands our team and can get the best out of them.

If our goal is to sell 3/4 of our team and bring in that many players then a new manager could make sense.

Shakey has done well enough to date for me to offer him a 2 year contract.  Of course i want to first  see how we close out the season. If we lose most of the games them we may need to think about someone else.

2 hours ago, sdb said:

Has my absolute backing. Screw signing big names. I want good players first and foremost, including our best ones (who clearly rate him) to stay!! 

This this this this this.

I cannot word how opposed I am to this silly "name" nonsense. It completely undermines everything that makes us tick.

2 hours ago, Struwwelpeter60 said:

It's really funny.

When CR played  three at the back 

against Chelsea and replaced in the second half

a CB (Huth) with an offensive player (Okazaki) he was

afterwards crucified for it in this forum.

CS ,however, is hailed as being brave

for doing exactly the same (Benalouane out/ Ulloa in).

lol

How on EARTH can you watch those two games and even draw a slight comparison. Genuinely astounding.

If it was my decision to award the job Shaky would still have to come up with a presentation on how his vision is of taking the club forward. What tactics does he envisage playing and what sort of signings does he want, etc.

He has done brilliant so far, no doubt about that but playing devils advocate? Is there top class managerial talent there or has he just gone back to the routine that won us the title and are the players running the show? Can and will he make the tough decisions next season when some of the players who are highly popular replaced.

For me it's not 100% clear cut on what the best decision is.

2 hours ago, Struwwelpeter60 said:

NO!!

Yes, we won the first 6 games with him as manager.

But 5 of those 6 were home games.

Of the next 4 games we haven't won a single one.

It's simply too early to tell.

I'm sure you must be a troll but I'll bite anyway. Of the 4 games since those first 6, 2 were against Atletico Madrid. They have reached the Champions League final twice in 3 years and are one of the best sides in Europe. The other 2 games both came a couple of days before these matches. We obviously had one eye on the huge games to come. We don't have the squad of Chelsea or Man City. It doesn't matter that we won the league last year, we are miles away from being able to properly go for it in 4 big games in 14 days. Lets keep building our team OUR way, otherwise next season in the Premier League could well be like the first half of this, but without a man to save us.

2 hours ago, Koke said:

He also talked in his post-match interview about how he had discussed with the players about different scenarios etc and how we could change things, so you can tell how well prepared he likes to be. I have a hunch Claudio would have brushed aside "scenario" and formation change talk and just kept repeating "we must fighttt", "we must keep dreaming"....... lol  

1 hour ago, Gerard said:

If it was my decision to award the job Shaky would still have to come up with a presentation on how his vision is of taking the club forward. What tactics does he envisage playing and what sort of signings does he want, etc.

He has done brilliant so far, no doubt about that but playing devils advocate? Is there top class managerial talent there or has he just gone back to the routine that won us the title and are the players running the show? Can and will he make the tough decisions next season when some of the players who are highly popular replaced.

For me it's not 100% clear cut on what the best decision is.

I don't think any decison can ever be 100% clear cut, especially when selecting a manager, as there are risks with any candidate. For me, Shakey represents a low risk option for us, as in, the players know and respect him. He has 60% win record in 10 games and tactically so far, he has been pretty spot on. You can also see he has been heavily influenced from his time with Pearson, and that is no bad thing. 

I think if he is able to win us another 2-3 games of our remaining 6, then he should definitely be given the opportunity next season. If it goes down hill fast, then by christmas we get rid but at the moment, and I understand there are 6 games to go, he should rightly be top of our list.

3-4 big signings with a couple leaving and we could start knocking on a top 8 or higher finish IMO :scarf:

Archived