Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

Shakespeare

8 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

If not him, then seriously, who?

I personally was hoping for Brendan Rodgers (if not Shakespeare), but he signed a long-term deal with Celtic (was on a rolling 1-year contract).

Would Roger Schmidt come to us? Do we even want him? What has Laurent Blanc been up to this past year?

i don't have a crystal ball anymore than others but I'd appoint Shakespeare with confidence and believe it would be an almighty and unnecessary risk to do anything different.

a) Shakespeare clearly has the backing of the players and that's the most important thing because without their backing you've not got a manager who's going to be around for very long or has any chance of being successful. .

b)  Then you ask why he's accepted by the players and have to conclude that he does things fairly with everyone understanding what the tactics are and their role within that system.

c) He's already left good players out of a team and put others in but even people like Ulloa look happy to play for the club again which suggests Shakespeare is dealing with people in a straightforward manner which I don't believe has always been the case.

d) Shakespeare has shown he tries to pick his team consistently and with a minimum of disruption, continuity being an important factor in achieving success.

e) He shows himself willing and able to adjust his tactics positively. Even in the testing times of having lots of games, players out injured or suspended, he's adapted and enabled us to play reasonably well against challenging opposition, his record so far being excellent.

f) He's shown confidence in people when the opportunity has arisen - Chilwell, Gray, Ulloa, Benalouane all being given reasonable opportunity in the circumstances to play their part and show their values.

g) He's shown his ambition by already playing an important role in our highly successful campaigns over recent seasons and by saving he wants us to have more success and more European adventures.             

h). Recruitment! Who can tell for certain or even know if recruitment would be entirely in his hands but he seems to recognise ability by the players he's chosen for the tasks he wishes to complete already and has surely had enough experience of watching and judging players as anyone. He appears to be a "positive" manager so it's reasonable to imagine he'll sign positive players for the ambitious future he has in mind.         

i) His demanour and representation of the club is excellent. He does his media work cheerfully, civilly and in a straightforward manner  that I'm sure is appreciated by the journalists as much as the players. He doesn't hesitate trying to be clever, trying to avoid the question or somehow showing resentment for even being there, he tackles the media task with the same professionalism and enthusiasm he shows for everything else he does and with a degree of what seems like genuine "feet-on-the-ground" humility that I find refreshing. 

For me you can stick any so-called big names. We've got our own and he seems focused on what's important which is making a big name for his club and his players and trusting to the fact that success in that manner will give him all the pleasure and reputation he needs.    

People criticising Shakespeare clearly have delusions of grandeur over this club. Tuesday's performance was one of the most gutsy, magnificent displays I've ever seen from a Leicester side. Not to mention we were playing a team who have reached two finals of this competition in recent years. Shakespeare clearly gets the players going. 

People who want a 'big name' are the most frustrating and idiotic of football fans. 

16 minutes ago, Dickov22 said:

People criticising Shakespeare clearly have delusions of grandeur over this club. Tuesday's performance was one of the most gutsy, magnificent displays I've ever seen from a Leicester side. Not to mention we were playing a team who have reached two finals of this competition in recent years. Shakespeare clearly gets the players going. 

People who want a 'big name' are the most frustrating and idiotic of football fans. 

Idiotic they arent, they just have a different opinion to you and I.  Different perspectives thats all...Just as valid.

If Shakespeare, is looking to expand, and reinvest in the squad, he should be given the backing.

If he sees he needs a team, to hold the ball better,(Not possesion orientated)  and is prepared to build up,

Quality from a top 16, not from top 14.

If he can implement change or rest periods, without  fear and stubborness, and give confidence to

the fringe players he should be given the job.

Personally I think having a big name manager who makes all the decisions is no longer the way to go for many clubs.  We have already demonstrated the value of a more team based approach and you can see this happening more and more at other clubs.  I would see Craig Shakespeare as very much a team player happy to work with the other coaches, the medical/ physio staff, the analysts, the recruitment staff and so on.  Of course the buck stops with the manager ultimately and he has already demonstrated that he is quite comfortable with making decisions even when under pressure.  Another essential for a manager is being the public face of the club, dealing with the media and so on and he already seems to be taking well to that role.  Finally, a manager as well as listening needs to be able to inspire and motivate others, especially the players - he has certainly demonstrated that so far.

If I was writing a job description for our next manager I'd say that he ticks all the boxes.

Just now, theessexfox said:

The most worrying thing for me was him speaking on RL after the game, saying management and the media side of it was more draining than he ever could have imagined. 

well if we had a full coaching staff there he wouldn't have to spread himself so thinly

I know we were chasing goals but do people really think Morgan should have been replaced with someone who wasn't a CB? Simpson, Fuchs, Chillwell back 3 would have been murdered and Chilwell was caused loads of problems on the left wing anyway.

2 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

I know we were chasing goals but do people really think Morgan should have been replaced with someone who wasn't a CB? Simpson, Fuchs, Chillwell back 3 would have been murdered and Chilwell was caused loads of problems on the left wing anyway.

Wilfred NDidi has played CB for Genk in the past and given how the game was going could have dropped back to allow a more attacking player on, after all it didn't matter if we gambled and they scored again we were still going out

10 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Wilfred NDidi has played CB for Genk in the past and given how the game was going could have dropped back to allow a more attacking player on, after all it didn't matter if we gambled and they scored again we were still going out

Fair point. Played there a bit against Chelsea this season too so perhaps an option that was worth looking at.

12 hours ago, Thracian said:

i don't have a crystal ball anymore than others but I'd appoint Shakespeare with confidence and believe it would be an almighty and unnecessary risk to do anything different.

a) Shakespeare clearly has the backing of the players and that's the most important thing because without their backing you've not got a manager who's going to be around for very long or has any chance of being successful. .

b)  Then you ask why he's accepted by the players and have to conclude that he does things fairly with everyone understanding what the tactics are and their role within that system.

c) He's already left good players out of a team and put others in but even people like Ulloa look happy to play for the club again which suggests Shakespeare is dealing with people in a straightforward manner which I don't believe has always been the case.

d) Shakespeare has shown he tries to pick his team consistently and with a minimum of disruption, continuity being an important factor in achieving success.

e) He shows himself willing and able to adjust his tactics positively. Even in the testing times of having lots of games, players out injured or suspended, he's adapted and enabled us to play reasonably well against challenging opposition, his record so far being excellent.

f) He's shown confidence in people when the opportunity has arisen - Chilwell, Gray, Ulloa, Benalouane all being given reasonable opportunity in the circumstances to play their part and show their values.

g) He's shown his ambition by already playing an important role in our highly successful campaigns over recent seasons and by saving he wants us to have more success and more European adventures.             

h). Recruitment! Who can tell for certain or even know if recruitment would be entirely in his hands but he seems to recognise ability by the players he's chosen for the tasks he wishes to complete already and has surely had enough experience of watching and judging players as anyone. He appears to be a "positive" manager so it's reasonable to imagine he'll sign positive players for the ambitious future he has in mind.         

i) His demanour and representation of the club is excellent. He does his media work cheerfully, civilly and in a straightforward manner  that I'm sure is appreciated by the journalists as much as the players. He doesn't hesitate trying to be clever, trying to avoid the question or somehow showing resentment for even being there, he tackles the media task with the same professionalism and enthusiasm he shows for everything else he does and with a degree of what seems like genuine "feet-on-the-ground" humility that I find refreshing. 

For me you can stick any so-called big names. We've got our own and he seems focused on what's important which is making a big name for his club and his players and trusting to the fact that success in that manner will give him all the pleasure and reputation he needs.    

All good points but the one I would add to this is continuity.  He has been around through the great escape and the title and is our best bet to keep us playing in the way that we have developed.  Our style of play makes us unstoppable on our day.  A new manager would dismantle all that and have us playing more conventionally.

14 hours ago, Thracian said:

Excellent post Thracian,  I must say for my eyes sake I'm a tad relieved you didn't make it to z :)

2 hours ago, murphy said:

All good points but the one I would add to this is continuity.  He has been around through the great escape and the title and is our best bet to keep us playing in the way that we have developed.  Our style of play makes us unstoppable on our day.  A new manager would dismantle all that and have us playing more conventionally.

I'd also add the further point in that he's been an integral part of building the club up from its lowest point ever to its highest ever, he's all we have left from the team that built this modern day Leicester, it's philosophy and character has been shaped by him and there is more for this team to give, this golden era isn't over yet, don't end it early.

Another 3 or 4 wins and it's his for definite , 2 wins and it's more than likely. He'll have earned his chance. Whether it's a good long term choice I'm not sure. Wouldn't be surprised to see him gone by Xmas.

27 minutes ago, Vlad the Fox said:

I'd also add the further point in that he's been an integral part of building the club up from its lowest point ever to its highest ever, he's all we have left from the team that built this modern day Leicester, it's philosophy and character has been shaped by him and there is more for this team to give, this golden era isn't over yet, don't end it early.

Who was our manager last season?

CS or CR?

Are you trying to rewrite the history of our club?

Do you want to erase Ranieri from it?

31 minutes ago, Struwwelpeter60 said:

Who was our manager last season?

CS or CR?

Are you trying to rewrite the history of our club?

Do you want to erase Ranieri from it?

It's not a case of erasing Ranieri. Even he said towards the end of last season he had changed nothing. Then this season he started to change things and it went wrong. He had the perfect setup then started to tinker.

51 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Another 3 or 4 wins and it's his for definite , 2 wins and it's more than likely. He'll have earned his chance. Whether it's a good long term choice I'm not sure. Wouldn't be surprised to see him gone by Xmas.

Good point, easy appointment if things go well in the next 6 weeks, even easier to sack next season when things go wrong.

I feel the owners will replace him with a new coach in the summer not what I would do but that's what I think will happen.

42 minutes ago, sylofox said:

he had changed nothing.

He changed our system from 352 during the great escape

to 442. He turned Simpson (who didn't play a single minute

in the great escape) and Drinkwater from bench sitters into

starters and Vardy and Mahrez from average PL players into

stars. He integrated Fuchs, Okazaki and Kante into our

system etc.

To insinuate, that he had no influence on our way of playing

football and only continued what Pearson had started, is just

ridiculous.

7 hours ago, theessexfox said:

The most worrying thing for me was him speaking on RL after the game, saying management and the media side of it was more draining than he ever could have imagined. 

Because he's doing absolutely everything! Stowell coaches the goalies so shakey is doing all the coaching, the tactics, team selection plus media. He even does the pre match warm up! He needs a permanent number two if he's to get the job full time. 

3 hours ago, Struwwelpeter60 said:

He changed our system from 352 during the great escape

to 442. He turned Simpson (who didn't play a single minute

in the great escape) and Drinkwater from bench sitters into

starters and Vardy and Mahrez from average PL players into

stars. He integrated Fuchs, Okazaki and Kante into our

system etc.

To insinuate, that he had no influence on our way of playing

football and only continued what Pearson had started, is just

ridiculous.

Is this a haiku? 

13 hours ago, theessexfox said:

If only we had a club psychologist who could help him deal with all that... 

:ph34r:

I think CS has done pretty much all that was asked of him and has been a very popular choice for this group of players . If this group is prepared to commit to the club for another season I think the owners might leave the manager in place I fear however that one or two high profile departures might change the owners' mindset - they are not afraid to take hard decisions and set aside sentiment and if they are going to commit some serious money to strengthening the side (and simply spending the proceeds of selling Mahrez or Slimani is going to be very substantial) they may well look elsewhere and we know they like a name to manage the side . 

Lets hope he gets at least a season and persuades the waverers to commit to the club for another year 

Archived