Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
tetly

Next manager ( who do you want ).

15 minutes ago, AmarteyAndChill said:

What formation does Schmidt play? & tactics? Haven't a clue.. 

4-4-2.

His style of play/tactics are similar to how we played in the first quarter of the 2015/2016 season, before the Arsenal defeat. High intensity, high pressing, direct style of play.

However this attack-minded style often left Leverkusen exposed defensively.

People are calling for Schmidt, because we'd have Schmidt's attack minded philosophy, but also our ability to defend and counter so there would be a good balance.

1 minute ago, foxes21 said:

4-4-2.

His style of play/tactics are similar to how we played in the first quarter of the 2015/2016 season, before the Arsenal defeat. High intensity, high pressing, direct style of play.

People are calling for Schmidt, because we'd have Schmidt's attack minded philosophy, but also our ability to defend and counter so there would be a good balance.

If he comes in we may need two new, quicker centre backs then:ph34r: and does he play long balls like we do or quick through the transition with quick passes like man city? 

2 minutes ago, foxes21 said:

4-4-2.

Sounds very high risk. 

I believe David Moyes is available now and ready to talk. He did well at Everton, Man United not so well, in Spain well a little worse and then Sunderland, oh it got worse still. Maybe he's hit rock bottom and City rather like Ranieri who came after the Greek tragedy in the Faroes will be his salvation. 

Talking sensibly I'd like to see Eddie Howe but I fear he's wedded to Bournemouth, Sean Dyche is a possibility for us as he'd have a bit of money that he doesn't have at Burnley. Wonder weather he could drag Keane and Heaton with him if we lose Kasper this summer?

7 minutes ago, AmarteyAndChill said:

If he comes in we may need two new, quicker centre backs then:ph34r: and does he play long balls like we do or quick through the transition with quick passes like man city? 

His philosophy revolves around gegenpressing basically. Leverkusen would hunt in packs, to try win possession quickly. So they weren't really a long ball team, they focused more on forcing mistakes and then playing quick direct passes to the striker.

However like any high pressing strategy, if a team manages to pass around your press, gaps appear infront of your defence and the opposition can exploit that space. That was Leverkusen's biggest problem, they were unable to defend against counter attacks.

10 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Sounds very high risk. 

Tbh this is a good point. Schmidt would play exciting, high energy football. But would it be effective football? I think it would only work if we had Shakes as assistant, to help with the team shape & defensive strategy, because they are Schmidt's weak points. But would Shakespeare want to be assistant again to a manager he doesn't know? Unlikely.

5 minutes ago, oxtonfox said:

I believe David Moyes is available now and ready to talk. He did well at Everton, Man United not so well, in Spain well a little worse and then Sunderland, oh it got worse still. Maybe he's hit rock bottom and City rather like Ranieri who came after the Greek tragedy in the Faroes will be his salvation. 

Talking sensibly I'd like to see Eddie Howe but I fear he's wedded to Bournemouth, Sean Dyche is a possibility for us as he'd have a bit of money that he doesn't have at Burnley. Wonder weather he could drag Keane and Heaton with him if we lose Kasper this summer?

I truly can't see any of those shouts working out, or making much sense. I'd take Howe but that's about it.

33 minutes ago, ROB-THE-BLUE said:

Sounds like he's retiring from football completely from what Sky have said

That's what he said:

37 minutes ago, 49er said:

Allardyce 8/11 with William Hill to be next Sunderland Manager

I don't quite get the clamour for Wagner over Shakespeare.

Klopp's assistant who has taken a Championship team to the play-offs in preference to our Assistant manager when we won the top 3 divisions in English football, and as our Manager took us from the relegation zone to what should have been 8th in the Premier League if the linesman had got it right, and got us through to the last 8 of the Champions League.

15 minutes ago, oxtonfox said:

Not Sean dyche. Wanna see a manager get this team playing some decent football rather than this long ball crap. 

1 minute ago, Nickfosse said:

Klopp's assistant who has taken a Championship team to the play-offs in preference to our Assistant manager when we won the top 3 divisions in English football, and as our Manager took us from the relegation zone to what should have been 8th in the Premier League if the linesman had got it right, and got us through to the last 8 of the Champions League.

I think it's just the way Huddersfield play and he's the 'cool' option. I'd love Wagner here mind:vardy:

1 minute ago, AmarteyAndChill said:

I think it's just the way Huddersfield play and he's the 'cool' option. I'd love Wagner here mind:vardy:

Watching us take the game to Athletico Madrid 2nd half at home was one of the coolest things I've ever seen in my 45 years of watching Leicester City. Perhaps beating Sheffield Wednesday on penalties is even cooler:D

15 minutes ago, Nickfosse said:

Watching us take the game to Athletico Madrid 2nd half at home was one of the coolest things I've ever seen in my 45 years of watching Leicester City. Perhaps beating Sheffield Wednesday on penalties is even cooler:D

In fairness they tried to hold on to the 1-0 they had and we just put the ball into the box continually. 

20 minutes ago, AmarteyAndChill said:

Not Sean dyche. Wanna see a manager get this team playing some decent football rather than this long ball crap. 

If you considering Dyche, then the likes of Pulis and Hughes have a more established track record in the Premier League. Dyche gets over-egged because everyone remembers him as a pundit on Sky, and thought he knew alot about football. Same applies to the likes of Hoddle, Keegan and, especially, Southgate.

Just now, 49er said:

If you considering Dyche, then the likes of Pulis and Hughes have a more established track record in the Premier League. Dyche gets over-egged because everyone remembers him as a pundit on Sky, and thought he knew alot about football. Same applies to the likes of Hoddle, Keegan and, especially, Southgate.

Yeah, someone else mentioned him 

23 minutes ago, Nickfosse said:

Great post Nick,

The clamour for an unproven championship play off manager is absolutely ridiculous and our owners IF they decide not to Shakey will go for an experienced top flight winner be it In England or Europe!! Our owners have always sought top class names and I believe they would follow a similar pattern. However, I believe they will offer Shakey the opportunity but whether he convinces them or wants it we will know quite quickly!!

9 minutes ago, AmarteyAndChill said:

In fairness they tried to hold on to the 1-0 they had and we just put the ball into the box continually. 

That's one way of looking at it. I thought that getting Chilwell wide and unmarked in space was a tactical master stroke. We played on the front foot and I loved every moment of it. I thought we had Atletico creaking at times, and it would have been fascinating if Vardy had got the second. Simeone was mighty relieved and very complimentary when it was all over. 

2 minutes ago, Nickfosse said:

That's one way of looking at it. I thought that getting Chilwell wide and unmarked in space was a tactical master stroke. We played on the front foot and I loved every moment of it. I thought we had Atletico creaking at times, and it would have been fascinating if Vardy had got the second. Simeone was mighty relieved and very complimentary when it was all over. 

But our players had nothing to lose? So we kept on pushing forward. Atletico rarely attacked apart from that griezmann run where the Atletico player missed the sitter. 

Just now, AmarteyAndChill said:

But our players had nothing to lose? So we kept on pushing forward. Atletico rarely attacked apart from that griezmann run where the Atletico player missed the sitter. 

Did you not enjoy watching us take the game to one of the strongest teams in the Champions League?

We played some excellent football punching well above our weight imo, yet you seem to be more impressed with Huddersfield Town in the Championship.

55 minutes ago, foxes21 said:

His philosophy revolves around gegenpressing basically. Leverkusen would hunt in packs, to try win possession quickly. So they weren't really a long ball team, they focused more on forcing mistakes and then playing quick direct passes to the striker.

However like any high pressing strategy, if a team manages to pass around your press, gaps appear infront of your defence and the opposition can exploit that space. That was Leverkusen's biggest problem, they were unable to defend against counter attacks.

Tbh this is a good point. Schmidt would play exciting, high energy football. But would it be effective football? I think it would only work if we had Shakes as assistant, to help with the team shape & defensive strategy, because they are Schmidt's weak points. But would Shakespeare want to be assistant again to a manager he doesn't know? Unlikely.

I  agree and equally, would Schmidt also want to work with a coach he doesn't know? This style of play can be successful if you have the requisite defence which, lest we forget, we had when we won the Premiership (plus a handy little bloke named Kante in midfield). We certainly have some of the players who both compliment and appear to enjoy that style (bar one). He's got to be worth considering  (I admit to  not knowing enough about him). Maybe with the budget we have compared to Leverkusen, he'd know just the players from the Bundesliga to fit in? 

10 minutes ago, Nickfosse said:

Did you not enjoy watching us take the game to one of the strongest teams in the Champions League?

We played some excellent football punching well above our weight imo, yet you seem to be more impressed with Huddersfield Town in the Championship.

surely you can see how poor our movement is? Even throw ins, Fuchs is playing CB and he takes them just because we have to go long. Instead of trying to play neat, quick passes we go long or just cross it. No imagination at all, apart from Riyad. 

44 minutes ago, Nickfosse said:

He's got a season of managerial experience bringing a fairly unknown team to previously unknown heights and is known for creating a great team spirit. On paper he seems to be a great fit.

His tactics seems like they could suite us: http://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com/2017/5/23/15670162/tactics-preview-huddersfield-town-david-wagner-gegenpressing

There is an emphasis on getting players into central areas of the pitch and for the whole team to play high up the pitch. This is shown by Huddersfield having just 25% of game time in their own half. That is a joint lowest with Derby and Fulham in the Championship, and is big contrast to the Championship high of 34% that Reading have.

One of the first things you'll notice about Huddersfield is their pressing game. Playing high up the pitch squeezes the game and means the Huddersfield players are in close proximity to opposition players.

They have less ground to make up when closing and pressing the opposition after losing possession. Their shape allows them to outnumber the two centre backs that teams usually play in the Championship, whilst still covering the central areas when players do push forward to press.

This style of football has become known as gegenpressing and Wagner's love for it was shown in his selection for Huddersfield's best goal from last season. His choice is hardly the most spectacular of goals, but shows his philosophy perfectly.

After losing the ball, Huddersfield quickly press Rotherham and regain the possession before launching a quick counter attack resulting in a goal.

However:

Over the regular Championship season, only Fulham (59.1%) and Reading (57.4%) enjoyed more possession than Huddersfield's average 55.7%. The number of passes Huddersfield (495.7) and Reading (496.7) average per game is almost identical.

So if he did come, unless he's willing to be more counter-attacking than gegenpressing, then we'd have to have loads of new possession based players. But there is pressing and there is counter-attacking so it'd hardly be a whole apart.

He does have more managerial experience than Shakey and if you view the pre-athletico matches as a post-raneri boost then Wagner seems like he could be a better manager. If Huddesfield get promoted though, I suspect they'd be a lot less chance especially since his team are Gegenpressers.

1 hour ago, foxes21 said:

Haha, just reading the first paragraph I thought you had just posted what I copy and pasted from Wagner's tactics. Schmidt and Wagner's tactics don't sound massively different then.

Archived