Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
tetly

Next manager ( who do you want ).

On ‎23‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 22:58, Tuna said:

Here's a strange thing.

Marco Silva is linked with all the jobs under the sun, fails at Hull and is relegated. No matter what you say, it's on his CV. He failed and was relegated.

Paul Clement saves Swansea from certain relegation yet no one talks about linking him with other jobs. And he's coached at Real Madrid and Bayern Munich so he's got excellent pedigree!

It's all nonsense, there is plenty of good British managers out there they just need a chance and an opportunity.

clement is under contract

silva is available

There are a lot of good names mentioned and many others come up with the fly in the ointment.  Generally speaking managers, even good ones, will have a bad experience or two.  I don't think that inherently invalidates one from being a good manager.  I generally judge by looking at the play and tactics of a manager.

As much as I don't like Mourinho, I do think he's a great manager.  I had to admit that when I saw Inter beat Guardiola's Barcelona; when Barcelona had way better players.  I realized then that as a tactician he was very good.  Perhaps his being a w@nker is his worst trait.  Players tend to dislike him and that becomes his Achilles heel.  

Anyway, I do agree that results matter, but you cannot ignore a manager that can make something out of nothing.  

I've find some of the criticism Shakey has had recently to be really bizarre. It's not really his fault that we don't really have any strength in depth. Our starting XI is decent, though maybe a few too maybe a few too many players over thirty, but our squad beyond that is poor. 

42 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

I've find some of the criticism Shakey has had recently to be really bizarre. It's not really his fault that we don't really have any strength in depth. Our starting XI is decent, though maybe a few too maybe a few too many players over thirty, but our squad beyond that is poor. 

I think people are just concerned that Shakey won't be able to attract the type of players we need due to his lack of recognition. Also people may see it as risky going into a new season with an inexperienced manager with the possibility that the form we did pick up under him was just an initial bounce. 

How important is the manager in attracting players? I think the pull of the league and the money in it is the most important thing in that regard. Benteke isn't signing for Palace because he wants to play for Alan Pardew.

5 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

How important is the manager in attracting players? I think the pull of the league and the money in it is the most important thing in that regard. Benteke isn't signing for Palace because he wants to play for Alan Pardew.

This. Also, it's not really about attracting 'big name' players. It's about signing players that improve the squad and that will buy into the ethos. 

This idea that you have to be a "big name" manager to attract "big name" players is nonsense. A player needs to be convinced he'll be part of something successful and that he will benefit as a result.

A "big name" sometimes helps offer that impression but they're soon found out in the end, while the star of a lesser name can easily be seen to be climbing. 

Good terms and decent conditions can be a tempting persuader in either instance.   

1 hour ago, Thracian said:

This idea that you have to be a "big name" manager to attract "big name" players is nonsense. A player needs to be convinced he'll be part of something successful and that he will benefit as a result.

A "big name" sometimes helps offer that impression but they're soon found out in the end, while the star of a lesser name can easily be seen to be climbing. 

Good terms and decent conditions can be a tempting persuader in either instance.   

"Big name" managers are just that because (generally) they have succeeded in the past and are more likely to to achieve success again in the future rather than be "found out in the end".

You mentioned yesterday about expensive signings being, in the main, more likely to succeed than the cheaper options.

Surely the same applies to managers.

Just because Sousa and Sven didn't work out for us we can't just refuse to go down that path again.

43 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

"Big name" managers are just that because (generally) they have succeeded in the past and are more likely to to achieve success again in the future rather than be "found out in the end".

You mentioned yesterday about expensive signings being, in the main, more likely to succeed than the cheaper options.

Just because Sousa and Sven didn't work out for us we can't just refuse to go down that path again.

I can't remember saying that but rather that if quality costs nothing then fine but if the quality costs a lot then sometimes it's well worth paying for. 

Plenty of top name managers have failed in different circumstances just as some have succeeded due to a greater or lesser extent because of the level of financial backing they've had. 

Indeed you might think it impossible to fail with some budgets but the reality is that failures abound because others have strong budgets or because a really good manager can sometimes make something out of nothing, in a relative sense.

I've never said "never" concerning a "name" manager. Nor thought it. I just don't think our circumstances are right for doing anything but appointing Shakespeare at the moment. As far as Leicester is concerned he is the "name" manager to me and the man best placed to take us forward. 

I'll speak differently if circumstances change but, for now, I've every faith in the guy and no greater faith in anyone else who might be available as a "name" or otherwise. Indeed I'm more concerned with us getting on with the job and doing all we can to avoid the mess we made last closed season.            

2 hours ago, hackneyfox said:

There's truth in what is being said here but I think it's about getting a right fit. Mourinho, for example, I think would be a disaster here. He wouldn't have anywhere near the kind of backing he usually gets.

Schmidt for example is a relatively big name (not as big as say Mancini) yet I think he would fit us. I'm personally not bothered by the name. If they fit us then it's all good. If they're a name as well then it can't hurt.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/craig-shakespeare-still-limbo-over-10506345

Get Football updates directly to your inbox
+ Subscribe

Craig Shakespeare will spend the weekend at the Monaco Grand Prix before finding out if he will remain in the fast lane.

Shakespeare is in the south of France with Leicester's first team squad for an end of season jaunt. 

They are being hosted by the club's Thai owners after reaching the Champions League last 16 and staying up.

Shakespeare, 53, guided City to 12th with seven Premier League wins from 13 games after being promoted from assistant when Claudio Ranieri was axed. 

Leicester-City-v-AFC-Bournemouth-Premier
Jamie Vardy celebrates his goal (Photo: Ross Kinnaird)

But MirrorSport understands Shakespeare is still yet to learn whether he has definitely got the job permanently for next season.

Leicester's stars, who won the title last season, admitted after the final day draw with Bournemouth they were unsure whether Shakespeare would get the post.

Anyone who thinks David Wagner is just all about possesion needs to watch the game Newcastle 2-1 Huddersfield. Wagner deployed a counter attacking tactic as Huddersfield defended deep and hit Newcastle on the break. This shows that's he's tactically flexible to the situation he is in and we know from the two years he's been at Huddersfield that he improves players.

Here...!

Here is something to ponder, something to get your jelly-baby brains around...

If you thought that a certain Claudio Ranieri, had learnt his mistakes, and realised his error

was trying to make our group of players into Italian master class wizzards.

and has seen the light, that what he had in that wonderous 1st season could still produce for him,

with more the Mongrel spirit, with less a tweek of Italian nous.

Would you take Claudio back,if he  knowingly  shown, there is another way, of developing this team, with

Shakey his 2nd man....ready to create an untouchable tactical pair.....

I am lying in my hospi bed...so you can  throw the cauliflowers,and rotten rest through the window.....

We gave Pearson a 2nd chance, why not Claudio....

3 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Here...!

If you thought that a certain Claudio Ranieri, had learnt his mistakes, and realised his error

and has seen the light, that what he had in that wonderous 1st season could still produce for him,

Would you take Claudio back,if he  knowingly  shown, there is another way, of developing this team, with

I am lying in my hospi bed...so you can  throw the cauliflowers,and rotten rest through the window.....

No, the players and his relationship is dead. 

21 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Here...!

Are you in the Brandon Unit?

We need this sorting asap we will be falling behind other clubs vying for the signature of a player we're both going for, as a player you'd sign for a club with a manager in place hardly give you any confidence in a club without a manager !!

We need to act now either sign up Shakespeare or get someone else in the role let's strengthen this great club now not try in a few weeks time !!

Archived