Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
tetly

Next manager ( who do you want ).

1 hour ago, Kitchandro said:

Just out of interest, why would we want to change the style?

The way I see it - we could spend 2 years buying players to suit a new way of playing, with no guarantee that the manager will last that long, for us only to be as good as sides like Southampton.

I'm not sure why some people have grasped yet that our biggest strength is the style we play (when we implement it correctly). Pretty much the only time it doesn't work is when we don't press high enough.

If we move away from it, as both Ranieri & Shakespeare have tried to do at times this season with little success, we will essentially trying to play like other teams. And if we play like other teams, we'll need better players than them to be a better team than them. Southampton are a tidy footballing team with big, strong individuals who can pass the ball. But they will always be a midtable outfit because they are trying to beat the top teams at their own game.

What you and others are talking about when you mention hoofing is us doing our way, the wrong way. For example, yesterday we used Slimani. Now he doesn't suit our style at all, he's not quick or mobile enough, he doesn't come deep often enough and his first touch is extremely poor, so he slows the game down and doesn't provide a link between the midfield and Vardy. In addition, we just try to boot it up to him instead of being able to play it 'in the channels'. So yesterday we dominated possession without stretching Bournemouth often enough, meaning we needed perfect crosses to create chances. That is difficult.

Chilwell is another one who's not quite ready. I've already said that defensively he needs a lot of work, but on the ball, whilst he's tidy and quick (and would probably fit other teams fine) he's ponderous - he doesn't move the ball quick enough. Other players have been guilty of this and also that we've not pressed high enough. So we end up with the back 4 having the ball with 11 players in front of them and we're having to build from the back.

It's not our style that's not good enough, last season proved it was genius because you could have an advantage over other teams by being different to them and not needing the best players to be the best team. It's just that you need to be strict with it, if you aren't pressing high and moving the ball quickly it won't work.

It's my opinion that, because of this reason, we should try to stick (or go back to) that style for as long as possible. Basically, until Vardy leaves or becomes past it, and we can't replace him with a similar player. It is an ambitious way of playing, contrary to what the media like to tell you. Unless you've got the best technical players (something we're never going to have) it's got more potential and, when done properly, is far more entertaining to watch, than the usual modern style of play we see these days, based on slow build up and short passes.

This means we should be trying to hire a manager who has the good sense to implement that style with this group of players. Good managers are flexible anyway, I've never understood someone going into a club and trying to play one style no matter the variations in the type of squad or league they're going into. I remember when Sousa tried to make us into a passing team with some very limited technical players when we'd already formed a progressing team that knew what it was doing in a competitive league. It was a disaster.

I'm not sure attempting to change is really the right way forward at this time.

Correct.

Paul Clement ticks a lot of boxes.  

29 points from 19 games at a team like Swansea is a very impressive record.  He knows this league and sooner or later will look for a move to a bigger club.  Maybe we should give him a chance?

Eddie Howe would be another decent call. His achievement in taking Bournemouth into the top 10, ahead of teams like us and West Ham, is incredible.

Either of the above would be an advance on a rookie whose inexperience and tactical limitations had become all too apparent in the closing weeks of the season.

If we are ever again to challenge the elite clubs, we need a dynamic young manager with drive and ambition who will impose his authority on every area of the club.

Tottenham weren't afraid to poach another league club for a manager.  We shouldn't be either.

3 hours ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

I've never understood someone going into a club and trying to play one style no matter the variations in the type of squad or league they're going into

Mourinho? Guardiola? Allardyce? Pulis?

All have one style and the first two have used it across different leagues. 

You are correct in what you say - but I fear that the owners may want a big name manager, and that will inevitably lead to a change in our style of play. We are delicately poised with players that are identified with our style who are (mostly) at the tail end of their careers - so new players will be coming in - and if its a new manager buying them then the criteria for choosing them may be different. 

Like I said, delicate     

I don't think the answer is necessarily to change our style of play but rather have a plan B. As it stands, all a team has to do to beat us it defend deeplease and hand us possession.  We don't know how to play against that. We need not only a manager that has in depth knowledge of more than one tactic but the players to pull it off.

Key players in key positions is what we need to be more fluid. At least one, ball playing CB that has a touch of pace (I'd prefer two) A CM that can put his foot on the ball and control a game and a No.10 that can not only link our midfield and attack but can open up a defence and chip in with the odd goal.

On 2017-5-22 at 17:46, accessory said:

Paul Clement ticks a lot of boxes.  

29 points from 19 games at a team like Swansea is a very impressive record.  He knows this league and sooner or later will look for a move to a bigger club.  Maybe we should give him a chance?

Eddie Howe would be another decent call. His achievement in taking Bournemouth into the top 10, ahead of teams like us and West Ham, is incredible.

Either of the above would be an advance on a rookie whose inexperience and tactical limitations had become all too apparent in the closing weeks of the season.

If we are ever again to challenge the elite clubs, we need a dynamic young manager with drive and ambition who will impose his authority on every area of the club.

Tottenham weren't afraid to poach another league club for a manager.  We shouldn't be either.

Would you mind telling us all what any top manager would have done with all our top players out injured and the replacements being so shit over that those last few games? Shakespeare was not responsible for either of those eventualities. Look at his record with a fully fit side before you judge. That Rookie as you call him was difference between us finishing where we did and being relegated.  

27 minutes ago, justfoxes said:

Heard on talksport Alladyce could be manager and shakey assistant,dont really know what to think about that !!??

Well........I guess we'd at least be safe from relegation if nothing else, although Im not quite sure if Sam's personality and history is a perfect fit for our owners...?!?

:unsure:

Bringing in big sam would just feel like we'd just aiming to beat relegation and have no more ambition, can anyone say they actually think big sam would get us into Europe or challenging the big teams! Really!

I don't believe that the Sam Allardyce thing is true. Though one positive about him is that his track record in terms of recruitment is very solid. If you gave Big Sam £70-£80 million last summer he would have signed far better than we did. 

2 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

I don't believe that the Sam Allardyce thing is true. Though one positive about him is that his track record in terms of recruitment is very solid. If you gave Big Sam £70-£80 million last summer he would have signed far better than we did. 

Absolutely. You could get 6 Jeff Schlupps for that.

Now I thought it would go the other way

We get a new manager...... Shakespeare quits and joins Sam at Palace

But hey ho, could go the other way, he did get Palace playing some decent stuff

But he can only come if he brings a fit Sakho and Defoe  :ph34r:

Just now, Chico1958 said:

Now I thought it would go the other way

We get a new manager...... Shakespeare quits and joins Sam at Palace

But hey ho, could go the other way, he did get Palace playing some decent stuff

But he can only come if he brings a fit Sakho and Defoe  :ph34r:

Defoe has signed for Bournemouth already

Archived