Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Agony, Ecstasy, Agony!

7 hours ago, Russell sprout said:

Must admit I believe things happen for a reason,and had we won promotion that day we may not have experienced last season,

im sure to some that sounds daft but I do believe that saying 'what doesn't kill you makes you stronger',and for the good and bad times after that it created the greatest of escapes and the title winning season we saw

Absolutely. Last season has levelled out all of the grievances and bitterness I picked up following City down the years. Erland Johnsen, Alan Nielsen, Kermorgant, Deeney, etc. I wasnt old enough to remember, but both the Blackburn and Swindon games annoyed me a bit. There were loads more.

Now though, in my mind those grievances were all just part of the rollercoaster leading up to last season. I'm sure we'll pick up plenty more in future now we've got a clean slate lol

My first of only 2 trips to the old Wembley this was, a wee ankle biter (20 :ph34r:) at the time! Still the only time I've ever had a pint at 7 in the morning as well! I remember thinking at the time that this was as good as it got, so glad it's one of several brilliant memories over the last 25 years :scarf:

I'm sure I've shared this story before, but a couple of years after that game, ( the worst I've ever felt at a game, still), I did some work with a guy who was on the bench for Swindon thet day. He said that the player who won the penalty, (Steve White????), was in Hoddle's ear for ages before coming on saying "boss, boss, get me on. I'll get us a peno".  No grudges against him or them.  It's what happens. 

I was there as an 8 year old but I honestly can't remember a thing about being there. I remember all the games leading up to it and the season before etc but this game is just blank in my memory. It came just a few days after the unexpected death of my uncle who used to take me to all of the games.

I remember him saying to me after we lost 7-1 to Newcastle on the final day, not to worry we'll win the Play Offs, unfortunately he didn't get to see them.

7 hours ago, tom27111 said:

And I'll add that as a kid growing up, Gary Mills was my hero.

I believe the kids would say #baller 

Tommy Wright was decent, Walshie was a hero, but Mills was a god.

Anyone with me or????

He pretty much played anywhere. 

And I'm pretty sure he scored a goal against Watford where he got the ball on the edge of his own box, beat all the opposition and scored. 

Can anyone verify that or is it just a weird childhood memory?

Around 1992ish? 

I have the same memory. Put his studs on the ball looked up and then dribbled through them. On a terrible pitch too I recall. OOH Tommy Wright provided the excitement in that period, Mills brought the Quality.

Barely remember much of it. I had the game taped for me and used to watch the comeback repeatedly. One of the few memories on the way back was how quiet the bus was. Barely anyone spoke. 

Its absolutely incredible being a Leicester fan looking back.

14 hours ago, tom27111 said:

And I'll add that as a kid growing up, Gary Mills was my hero.

I believe the kids would say #baller 

Tommy Wright was decent, Walshie was a hero, but Mills was a god.

Anyone with me or????

He pretty much played anywhere. 

And I'm pretty sure he scored a goal against Watford where he got the ball on the edge of his own box, beat all the opposition and scored. 

Can anyone verify that or is it just a weird childhood memory?

Around 1992ish? 

I loved Mills. One of my fave players of the era.

7 hours ago, TrentFox said:

I'm sure I've shared this story before, but a couple of years after that game, ( the worst I've ever felt at a game, still), I did some work with a guy who was on the bench for Swindon thet day. He said that the player who won the penalty, (Steve White????), was in Hoddle's ear for ages before coming on saying "boss, boss, get me on. I'll get us a peno".  No grudges against him or them.  It's what happens. 

But this attitude is the reason why diving and cheating plagues our game more than it did then.

Players should be villified for this sort of thing forever. Even Swindon fans, how could you be proud of winning like that?

People need to stop being ok with it.

I was really young for this and all I can remember is my dad lifting me up when Thompson got the equaliser and my mum going mental at him for it lol.

We really have been ****ed over in play offs quite a bit haven't we. Blackburn and Swindon and then DEEENNNNEYYYYY and Kermorcunt. Horrible.

I remember it well, the huge disappointment of being 3 down and thinking it was all over to the incredible feeling when it went 3-3. I was sat at those plastic red bench seats at the front and finishing up about 5 rows down from where I should have been.....although being a Leicester fan after we made it 3-3 I still feared we'd lose, and cheated out of it again just like the previous year which in many ways was more disappointing.

Got a picture of the players coming out with all the balloons from the fans I'll try and upload it.

No scanner had to take a picture of a photo.

Arriving at the stadium.

EAM3R6I.jpg

XetIlz8.jpg

Be weird if someone see's themselves in these pictures.

• 4 weeks later...

When this was discussed on here some years ago, I recall someone posting that a few years after that play off final, they were chatting about it to a Wembley steward. The steward said that of all the games he had worked at, the loudest cheer he remembered was when Steve Thompson equalised. 

Strewth , I am getting goose bumps thinking about it. The fat guy behind me, who I had never seen before or since, had eyes that were virtually popping out their sockets and then we threw our arms around each other.  When I calmed a little, I realised I had badly cut my shin somehow and it was pouring. I hadn't felt a thing!

Even now I can only watch the match up to the equaliser - the rest was too much to take, even after all these years.

Truly the noisiest reaction to a goal we have scored....it was chaos and the scenes were truly brilliant until that god damn penalty ........Wembley seemed to have a hoodoo till the poor little rams turned up!!!

I remember being numb after game. Got livelier on bus, as we picked up a coach load of city's fans who had broke down. 

New parks club if I remember, very funny. 

Horrible losing play off finals especially with two blatant dives two years in a row..long summer!

Archived