Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
wattolcfc

Jonny Evans

I would take him, but I imagine this could lead to 3 at the back? Shakespeare wont drop Morgan, and would be ****ing mental to drop Maguire. 

Schmeichel

Evans Morgan Maguire

Albrighton someone Ndidi Fuchs/Chilwell

Mahrez

Vardy Iheanacho

Sold

1 minute ago, lgfualol said:

I would take him, but I imagine this could lead to 3 at the back? Shakespeare wont drop Morgan, and would be ****ing mental to drop Maguire. 

Schmeichel

Evans Morgan Maguire

Mahrez

Vardy Iheanacho

Sold

Perhaps he's far wiser than you think and  can see Evans would be better than Wes,  he'll have seen the impact of Maguire.

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

People moaning about fees, I really hope you aren't the same people who moaned about our 2016 signings. We went for the cheaper, highly rated, ripping up their own league players then, but the risks of that are there for all to see now.

As a consequence of that window we are going for players who you know what you get from them in this league.

Ridiculously expensive, but that's the deal when signing from other prem clubs.

Spot on. With increasing tv revenue comes higher asking prices; it's all relative! Yes the figures for averagely good players are ridiculous... but I'd rather throw a few extra quid on players that have performed to a good level in this league then players who have had success in weak leagues!

2 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

Schmeichel

Evans Morgan Maguire

Mahrez

Vardy Iheanacho

Sold

Who is this someone? Is he Brazilian? Gerriiimin

2 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

Schmeichel

Evans Morgan Maguire

Mahrez

Vardy Iheanacho

Sold

Absolutely but I'd consider having Iborra sat in front of the back three with Albrighton Drinky Chilwell/Fuchs in front of him

Mahrez Vardy Iheanacho in a front 3 sounds great - it'd also mean that the likes of Gray and Musa could play as forwards too... in a sub role...

Me likey.

28 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

Imagine if we spunked North of £50m on Jonny Evans and Andros Townsend?! lol

I think both players would be good additions but not at the figures being banded about. There has to be a point where we have to consider if we're making a rod for our own back. I know fees are crazy high but they're not £28m-for-Andros-Townsend high. We surely don't want to get a rep as a club who will pay stupid money for anyone.

Better than pissing 50m on one player like siggy!

15 minutes ago, shen said:

Truth is more likely that it isn't that much below their valuation. He's obviously important to them, but like Liverpool are doing with Coutinho, they're happy to bide their time and watch the bids increase. Not to mention they're more likely to accept a Man City bid if it means Mangala can go the other way.

Aren't they interested in slimani still? Surely we could have the same pulling power if they want him 

1 minute ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

I could put this in each of the prospective transfer threads.

Knowing what players we needed 3 months ago; in this case a CB; pray tell, why do we leave it 4 days from the end of the window when fees are at their highest as sellers realise they hold 'the cards'? 

Incompetence, negligence, stupidity? 

OR.... the reality is that this is how a lot of transfer business gets done because the various owners play a waiting game of cat & mouse.

I know it's easier to throw epithets about, but it ain't a simple computer game.

7 minutes ago, FoxInTheBirstallBox said:

We need a defender desperatly and if gray/mahrez (more likely gray) leave we need another winger

We have far too much cover in center mid to justify spending 50m on. Would much rather us spend it on positions we need 

I get your point, but that doesn't make it any better spending £23m+ on a player who's already peaked as a solid cb at best.

Even in this silly transfer window, I'd argue Sigurdsson was better value at £40-50m, which is what I reacted against.

1 minute ago, HighPeakFox said:

OR.... the reality is that this is how a lot of transfer business gets done because the various owners play a waiting game of cat & mouse.

I know it's easier to throw epithets about, but it ain't a simple computer game.

Yes but the cat and ? favours the seller.

As the buyer, it's better to go for the player you want early and get the fee paid. The longer it gets left the higher the price will be ultimately.

3 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Knowing what players we needed 3 months ago; in this case a CB; pray tell, why do we leave it 4 days from the end of the window when fees are at their highest as sellers realise they hold 'the cards'? 

Yes, we needed a CB and we got that done pretty much instantly, as I recall. Turned out to be one of the best signings in the league too.

Whether we needed two CBs is debatable. Anyway this isn't our first bid for Evans, we tried for him months ago and have probably been chasing other CB targets since then. Just because it's not leaked all over the media doesn't mean we've not tried.

Far from being 'stupid and incompetent', we've had one of the best windows in comparison with other clubs so far. 

As the buyer, it's better to go for the player you want early and get the fee paid. The longer it gets left the higher the price will be ultimately.

I don't disagree at all. But I think the most powerful clubs hold all the cards, or most of them....

7 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Or we didn't have the money.

Our squad is currently huge and I doubt we could add these players without letting some go. 

With DD and Slim sounding likely it frees up a large chunk of wages and some decent fee cash.

I suspect that the original intention was to buy one CB and rotate with Huth and Morgan. Huth's injury and potentially Morgan being less reliably available is probably forcing a rethink. Wouldn't be surprised if we only ended up with a filler like Wague though, and get back to plan A when Huth and Morgan are more reliably available.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, isn't it? We did get Maguire in early, remember.

Did we anticipate Huth's op? Had Shakespeare made his mind up about Benalouane before the season started?

Were our targets available or interested in coming here?

Were sellers demanding insane prices, etc etc...

2 minutes ago, shen said:

I get your point, but that doesn't make it any better spending £23m+ on a player who's already peaked as a solid cb at best.

Even in this silly transfer window, I'd argue Sigurdsson was better value at £40-50m, which is what I reacted against.

I'd say I'd be happier paying 25m for a 30 year old centerback than 50m on a 27 (near 28) year old winger, you can still get 4 or 5 years out of Evans 

I don't get the 'just a solid PL defender' type of comment. He's outstanding, possibly one of the 2-3 best defenders in the PL outside the top 6.

Don't take my word for it. Go and read John Percy's piece from just after Man City's £18m bid went in.

He has 4-5 years left at the top, during which time he could be as important to us as Iheanacho or Maguire. 

Got to be worth £23m in today's market!

Archived