Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
wattolcfc

Jonny Evans

Let's just say he came.

Wes is the club captain and incredibly popular amongst the rest of the squad.  For purely footballing reason's you would think we would be starting Evans and Maguire but I can't see that doing much for morale.

5 minutes ago, Livid said:

Let's just say he came.

Wes is the club captain and incredibly popular amongst the rest of the squad.  For purely footballing reason's you would think we would be starting Evans and Maguire but I can't see that doing much for morale.

There has to be a time when Wes graciously steps back his involvement for the good of the team to help us push on. If he's not able to play 100% every game and it starts costing us, surely he will see that and if he truly is a captain then knowing when it's time to pass the torch to someone else is surely part of being a proper leader? 

Edit: Obviously not going to be the case, he's going to want to play right up until Maguire is wheeling him about in a wheelchair but the above scenario would be a breath of fresh air...

£7 Million for Gibbs is very good business. Would have been keen to have him if we didn't have Chilwell coming through. 

Evans seems destined for bigger things it seems. City or Arsenal will likely stump up the cash.

Happy to go after Sakho now if reports of 25million are true. Younger, more athletic and a definite upgrade on Morgan.  

I reckon Evans would see a good future with us. He'll be guaranteed game time playing alongside Maguire who he can tutor. He won't be guaranteed game time at Man City or Arsenal. 

Even at £28m or whatever this will be good business and I will feel a hell of a lot more comfortable about our defence this season. 

3 minutes ago, UPinCarolina said:

With West Brom signing the Polish lad and rumors that we're not out of the race for Evans...

We're probably in the race to sign him but we won't win it with Arsenal and Chelsea sniffing about. 

1 hour ago, Chrysalis said:

This is what happens when you mess around low balling bids.

We should have bid 35 mill+ and be done with it, he would be our player now.

And we would set a standard that every club believes we just give into price. Every team would set high fees when we go in for other players. 

Evans leaving West Brom won't happen unless they get an adequate replacement in. 

1 hour ago, Chrysalis said:

This is what happens when you mess around low balling bids.

We should have bid 35 mill+ and be done with it, he would be our player now.

Nobody ever accepts the first bid for a player - bidding 35m would just inflate the final price even more

16 minutes ago, CockneyFox said:

Nobody ever accepts the first bid for a player - bidding 35m would just inflate the final price even more

What like when Utd bid 40m for Matic and got him? That's the difference you want a player pay the money. Simple.

Just now, dannythefox said:

No I don't. Just like you don't have proof the first bid never gets accepted.

It wasn't a particular poor first bid, we got Maguire for £12m rising. Evans is nearly 30, at the time it was a reasonable offer.

It was post Maguire and post that bid that the market has gone bat shit crazy. We could probably sell Maguire for £30m today and we only signed him a couple of months ago.

On 8/29/2017 at 14:07, STUHILL said:

Arsenal and Man City will be driving his price up even further. Add to the fact that Pulis doesn't want to sell, made him Captain and he seems the model professional etc.. I think we will be priced out of a deal, if we haven't already.

I also think Smalling will not come here. 

Sakho and Gibson are both available and would cost 25-30 million to get done quickly. I would be happy with either. 

What we can't do, is end up signing no CB's by the close of the window. Morgan is deteriorating fast and Benny has looked very dodgy. 

Anyone seriously thinking that Smalling would come should get their head checked. 

Get Sakho ot Gibson or geth both. Anyone of them is an upgrade to what we already have aside from Maguire.

Archived