Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
wattolcfc

Jonny Evans

3 minutes ago, FoxInTheBirstallBox said:

I'd say I'd be happier paying 25m for a 30 year old centerback than 50m on a 27 (near 28) year old winger, you can still get 4 or 5 years out of Evans 

Fair enough. I guess I'm not that desperate for us to get Evans at that price.

6 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

I don't get the 'just a solid PL defender' type of comment. He's outstanding, possibly one of the 2-3 best defenders in the PL outside the top 6.

Don't take my word for it. Go and read John Percy's piece from just after Man City's £18m bid went in.

He has 4-5 years left at the top, during which time he could be as important to us as Iheanacho or Maguire. 

Got to be worth £23m in today's market!

Good call.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/08/17/jonny-evans-no-one-should-surprised-man-city-want/

3 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

I don't get the 'just a solid PL defender' type of comment. He's outstanding, possibly one of the 2-3 best defenders in the PL outside the top 6.

Don't take my word for it. Go and read John Percy's piece from just after Man City's £18m bid went in.

He has 4-5 years left at the top, during which time he could be as important to us as Iheanacho or Maguire. 

But isn't that exactly what makes him a solid PL defender? He was deemed surplus to requirements at Man Utd, played a limited amount of games before going to WBA.

I do rate Evans, but let's not make out he's more than what he is. If the club feel it's a good investment at that price, I'm all for it. They know more than I do.

Either way, I still do not believe we'll get him if Man City are seriously interested.

12 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

Totally agree

9 minutes ago, smr said:

just offer them 25m and if rejected 30m... him and maguire at the back would be a superb pairing.

This sort of attitude is so annoying. Just offer what the other clubs are after?? You would end up in a right mess! I would love us to sign lots of great players but even in this inflated market you can't do that.

Betting suspended sounds like we are serious.Very good player perhaps ahead of Gibson although older of course.I think we need someone that can fit in now.

No doubt we need another quality CB + probably CM and the decent size of the offer makes me wonder what offers are in for our current squad? 

3 minutes ago, Edingleyfox said:

Betting suspended sounds like we are serious.Very good player perhaps ahead of Gibson although older of course.I think we need someone that can fit in now.

No doubt we need another quality CB + probably CM and the decent size of the offer makes me wonder what offers are in for our current squad? 

Just whilst they resort the odds to reflect another bid from us.

skybet offering us as 8/1 third favourites behind Man City and him staying which is still well odds on. 

As I said when we first made a bid for him, one of my neighbours supports WBA and he rates Evans highly and said he would be absolutely gutted if he leaves, going by other comments from WBA fans they feel the same way. 

Go back in with a £25 million bid, if rejected, move on.

Just now, kingfox said:

As I said when we first made a bid for him, one of my neighbours supports WBA and he rates Evans highly and said he would be absolutely gutted if he leaves, going by other comments from WBA fans they feel the same way. 

Go back in with a £25 million bid, if rejected, move on.

Almost entirely agree. Go to £25m and if rejected, offer £27.5m with add ons rising to a potential £30m!

He's worth £30m, imo, taking into account the current market. If they don't accept £30m I'd look elsewhere. I can't see them rejecting that kind of money though so I hope we do it before man city do.

1 hour ago, brucey said:

Yes, we needed a CB and we got that done pretty much instantly, as I recall. Turned out to be one of the best signings in the league too.

Whether we needed two CBs is debatable. Anyway this isn't our first bid for Evans, we tried for him months ago and have probably been chasing other CB targets since then. Just because it's not leaked all over the media doesn't mean we've not tried.

Far from being 'stupid and incompetent', we've had one of the best windows in comparison with other clubs so far. 

I'm not cribbing the signings we have made.

Im talking about the ones we have not made.

Yes Wes played very well on Sunday, but the performances of Maguire highlight what we have been missing not having ball playing centre backs.

Archived