Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nugent

West Brom (Asia Trophy) match thread (July 19th)

12 minutes ago, Babylon said:

For me James was far more expansive and showed much more to his game. To be fair, Iborra was just asked to sit in front of the defence so didn't have the chance really like James. But his performance was far more functional. James showed the defensive side (as Iborra did), but his passing was outstanding. He did two or three passes over the top that were pretty much inch perfect, same with a few passes out wide. On top of that he really drove forward and backed Mahrez and made some room / passing opportunities for him.

Like I said, each to their own. It's all opinions. :thumbup:

Ok I change Iborra for James

Managed to catch the last 15 minutes and the penos, gonna watch the full match tonight - Any good?

Fair play for Mahrez turning up (From what I hear).

What a pathetic fuck about with the penos though!!

8 minutes ago, Matt said:

Managed to catch the last 15 minutes and the penos, gonna watch the full match tonight - Any good?

Just watch the 1st half if I were you, most of the 2nd is tough going

Mahrez was great.

Personally I thought the ABBA was okay, on one outing I felt there's something in it - worth continuing trials imo

45 minutes ago, cc_star said:

Mahrez was great.

Personally I thought the ABBA was okay, on one outing I felt there's something in it - worth continuing trials imo

just a longer period of nerves whilst we take two pens.  the idea that no one team has the advantage of always going first is a good one

1 hour ago, cc_star said:

Mahrez was great.

Definitely ok.... 

the-abba-girls-large.jpg

If we go 3 at the back we can't play like today with a DM instead of a CAM, we had no link to the strikers bar hoofing it up the pitch. How I would have set up keeping the same formation and majority of players.

First half.

Hamer

Amartey- Benny-Maguire-Elder

Mahrez-James-Ndidi-Barnes

Okazaki

Slimani

Second half.

Hamer

Simpson-Morgan-Moore

Albrighton                                Fuchs

Drinkwater-Iborra

Lawrence

Vardy-Ulloa

This would have given Barnes some game time and brought Lawrence into his natural position where he could effect the game more then he did today. He looked decent enough on the ball but you can tell Lw isn't his best position.

I think we saw the future post Riyad second half today

albrighton wide right and no one on the left. The left back will be expected to get forward and the extra man in midfield will cover behind him. The should give us a bit extra in the middle of midfield to match up with most opponents 3 in there and one of the forward 2 will be expected to cover more on the left to assist in front on the left back when out of possession. 

This is based on keeping a back four - I still expect shakey to experiment with 3 at some point over the remainder of pre season. 

Think Drinkwater is going to struggle for a spot in the team this season.

James is clearly more talented and has that extra intelligence and positional sense, if we are 442 it's a choice between James/Iborra/Ndidi. Iborra looks a class above King and Drinky.

James does need to trim up slightly though.

With regards to Slim, he looked good because he had Shinji in support. He needs to be finishing his chances though because IMO he is in direct competition with Vardy for a spot. He can't, or certainly doesn't seem happy to do the support role like Shinji/Leo/Iheanacho/Sigurdsson.

Mahrez is Mahrez, he's ****ing class. Gray has big boots to fill and I'm not convinced he can.

i thought Drinkwater did ok today, at the end of the days its only a friendly, even if there is a trophy at the end of it, its all pretty meaningless, but I got impression that Drinkwater realised his form had dropped at the end of last season and seem more focused today. A few of his passes where short, but nothing major to worry about. I think at start of season he are going to see Drinkwater of old.  Maguire looks a good signing, had a confident game and looks like he has an alert brain, can sees danger before it arises.  The only other stand out player I saw from 2nd half was Fuch he was getting in some good forward positions today, but seemed sometimes he was two steps ahead of the rest of the team

1 hour ago, MikeyT said:

I've not trawled through all the pages to see if already posted, but here is the penalty shootout in its entirety. 

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10954100/watch-the-leicester-v-west-brom-abba-penalty-shootout

Cheers, I left the pub at full time, didn't realise there was to be a penalty shoot out. 

18 hours ago, Matt said:

Is it pathetic because it's different? 

Archived