Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

Is Shakespeare the right man for the job?

1 minute ago, Staffs Fox said:

How do you usually win corner kicks? By attacking the opponents goal and playing in the final third

May as well blame our forwards for not pressing well enough, they do that and the ball never gets into our own half. We can play about with proximate cause and go down the line of the steps necessary for Arsenal to tie then win, but fact remains, the DIRECT CAUSE of thsoe goals were set piece defense F-ups.

Why argue? Yes, the midfield has major problems. Thought @ Arsenal, the problem was mental: Shakey went defensive and changed our collective mindset. We stopped attacking, period. We started thinking only about defending for 15 minutes or whatever it was. And that was the wrong decision as it had been a fairly even, open game with both sides marauding at times. We needed to stay aggressive and didn't. We started defending and mindlessly clearing, stopped worrying about possession entirely, then we botched the set piece defense. If you want to make the attenuated argument that our midfield being overrun is to blame for two goals, ok. But proximate cause vs. direct cause arguments are kinda dull, and they are lesser causes.

Time will tell.  The fact that he has not had a fully fit squad to choose from has been the major issue as I can not honestly think he would choose king over the likes of Iborra or even Silva and who knows when that deal will be sorted.

Don't get me wrong it's been a frustrating start to the season and I would have liked more points on the board but Shakespeare can only work with the players he has. The only one I would actually consider starting is Gray as the likes of Iborra and Kelichi need time to gain match sharpness and as I said the Silva situation needs to be sorted and then he will need time to gain his fitness.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, KingKoala said:

CS needs to know how to improve situation through substitution.

Seen too many odd subs so far and the team not benefiting a bit..

It was very very bad substitution today as well..

Ridiculous comment. Gray coming on changed the game. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Chico1958 said:

I'm gonna agree with the King bit but:

Is it the same Claudio that said our defence was poor and changed it to a back four

Is it the same Claudio who gave us the most unbelievable season I've ever seen at "our" club

Is it the same Claudio that we all thought was god in 2016

The man took us from relegation fodder to heights we never believed we could achieve.

Let's try to keep it to the question at hand because Claudio fell on his own sword and I for one will never say a bad word about the guy

To me, he still has a piece of my heart and he will always have my respect.

Ps: These are my views and if they differ from anyone elses then we have different opinions that all

The same Claudio that kept us playing the same 4-4-2 formation and tactics that Pearson had success with?  The same Claudio that used the same squad that had carried unbelievable momentum from the season before?

The same Claudio who tinkered with our backroom set up,  that appears to coincide with our downturn in form? The same Claudio that had us in the relegation zone at the business end of last season and looked on hopelessly from the side lines? 

It's a sad tale of hero to zero but he was ineffective once he was required to build, instead he took out the wrong jenga pieces and we're still wobbling as a result.

Whomever took this job would struggle, we are a squad low on confidence, who were delivered the harshest of starts and an unfortunate injury list. Injuries almost never happened under Pearson (so much so that people questioned if we were doping) and confidence and belief were never an issue (Player Mentors and professional well being counselling, ensured that player mentality was always right). Building blocks removed, we've returned to a team with a squad playing at it's average squad level, rather than a team with belief and aspirations that allow the squad to perform well above it's perceived skill level.

I was worried about Shakey getting the job in the summer as he is from the old school and unfortunately riddled with sentiment. He also appears to be negative. I was of the opinion of a fresh set of manager/coaches etc would be best as we need new ideas and direction. 

Shakey is still in caretaker mode, preparing the XI, getting them well drilled and off they go. But basically we are still playing Claudios tactics, however the players are two years older and we have not got the world class CM we had in Kante. We are being left behind big time. 

The next six games are huge. I hope come November I am on here rejoicing about our winning streak and Shakey is a hero, but I fear that may not happen. 12 games is all I would give him. He certainly doesn't deserve any longer if we are still forth bottom or worse. Claudio only got until Feb and he had won the league the previous season!

Please change our tactics Craig! Your job depends on it, especially away from home. We need to retain the ball for more than the 30% we seem to do. 3 in the middle please and 3 central defenders. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KingKoala said:

Yes Gray coming on was good but Slim for Albrighton wasn't.

I've seen those strange substitutions several times this season.

Albrighton was absolutely exhausted. Had to come off. Slimani gave us a different option. Perfectly reasonable sub to me. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, vanity said:

So Leicester basically played Liverpool even for 95 minutes, and Shakey needs to go? Makes no sense to me. The difficult start is done. Our worst loss was 2-0 @ Man U. Yes, we lost winnable games vs. Liverpool and Arsenal. We also beat Liverpool in the cup.

So people are pissed. I get it, I'm pissed. But Shakey is managing with one arm tied behind his back. He has no midfielders. Iborra is apparently still rounding into shape. If we have Drinkwater or Silva, we probably beat Arsenal and win today. We certainly play Chelsea closer. We are not far off the mark at the moment. 

The real test for Shakey begins now. We have to stack points, and I mean stack a lot. We need to beat teams with our superior talent, no more of this BS playing for 1-0 on a Vardy counterattack. That shti doesn't work as a Plan A any longer. 

I like Maguire, but the guy has cost us a fair number of points this season with careless play. His concentration and decision-making are suspect. We need to consider Dragovic and Huth in his place at this point.

Regardless who the midfield is its our mentality that changes, Liverpool are suspect at the back and 2 games in a row when we pressured them they looked half the team of their initial showing,  we give teams too much respect and too much time on the ball.

When we impose our game teams look just as vulnerable as us, it would be nice to see us be proactive from Kick off and not reactive from conceding.

I have just got home so please forgive me if I am repeating the comments of others. Please get off Shakey's back as he been shafted big time by those above. 

If the Owners stand back and do not do anything about the 'Silva' debacle, then I personally have serious concerns where this Club is heading.....

Substitions et al are all related.    But formations, Shakey needs to sort out.

7 minutes ago, Dickov22 said:

Albrighton was absolutely exhausted. Had to come off. Slimani gave us a different option. Perfectly reasonable sub to me. 

Fair enough and I could see what he wanted but for me it didn't look like working when Slimani came on..

Having said that, I still think we are better than what it looks like on the table and will go up on the standing.

38 minutes ago, Bernieboots76 said:

Time will tell.  The fact that he has not had a fully fit squad to choose from has been the major issue as I can not honestly think he would choose king over the likes of Iborra or even Silva and who knows when that deal will be sorted.

Don't get me wrong it's been a frustrating start to the season and I would have liked more points on the board but Shakespeare can only work with the players he has. The only one I would actually consider starting is Gray as the likes of Iborra and Kelichi need time to gain match sharpness and as I said the Silva situation needs to be sorted and then he will need time to gain his fitness.

All managers have hurdles to deal with, when we actually are on the front foot we look a lot better....

Same old story as the great escape 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Regardless who the midfield is its our mentality that changes, Liverpool are suspect at the back and 2 games in a row when we pressured them they looked half the team of their initial showing,  we give teams too much respect and too much time on the ball.

When we impose our game teams look just as vulnerable as us, it would be nice to see us be proactive from Kick off and not reactive from conceding.

IDK that this is true. If we had Silva, we would have someone to directly pressure the defense, to bring the ball forward, to act as a pivot for Maguire and Chilwell, to reduce the lump it fwd and hope for the best crap we are playing. I agree philosophically, I have bee arguing our need to be aggressive, to play our attacking talent and start overwhelming teams. We need to target 70 goals or so and play the personnel to produce that sort of output -- Mahrez can go, get Silva in, would like to see us play:

Vardy - Nacho

Silva

Gray                                               Albrighton

Ndidi - Iborra

Dragovic - Wes - Maguire

I think that, if Albrighton played a bit more defensive than attacking, this could work. Ndidi and Dragovic playing behind Gray help him with his defensive lapses, Albrighton can give some support for Maguire's marauding forays, Iborra can act as a pivot for Maguire and Dragovic and help us to maintain possession, though when Matty James gets back, he would need a look, he might be better against teams that don't utilize a high press. Would also like to consider Slimani/Iheanacho over Vardy against some of the deeper backlines, love Vardy, but we need to look into variety when teams scheme to stop him. 

1 minute ago, vanity said:

IDK that this is true. If we had Silva, we would have someone to directly pressure the defense, to bring the ball forward, to act as a pivot for Maguire and Chilwell, to reduce the lump it fwd and hope for the best crap we are playing. I agree philosophically, I have bee arguing our need to be aggressive, to play our attacking talent and start overwhelming teams. We need to target 70 goals or so and play the personnel to produce that sort of output -- Mahrez can go, get Silva in, would like to see us play:

Vardy - Nacho

Silva

Gray                                               Albrighton

Ndidi - Iborra

Dragovic - Wes - Maguire

I think that, if Albrighton played a bit more defensive than attacking, this could work. Ndidi and Dragovic playing behind Gray help him with his defensive lapses, Albrighton can give some support for Maguire's marauding forays, Iborra can act as a pivot for Maguire and Dragovic and help us to maintain possession, though when Matty James gets back, he would need a look, he might be better against teams that don't utilize a high press. Would also like to consider Slimani/Iheanacho over Vardy against some of the deeper backlines, love Vardy, but we need to look into variety when teams scheme to stop him. 

For example today

Sit back for 40 mins let Liverpool have the ball 2-0 down

Start actually attacking and the result is 2-1 to us plus a missed pen, thats with King and Ndidi

I think Shakey has been shafted in a sense by those above who allowed Drinkwater to leave.

I think we need a manager who can bring the best out of Riyad Mahrez again and convince the player to stay.

Shakey responsible for subs, team selection and style of play which have been questionable at times.

Thought today was one of our better performances under shakey.

Would love it if we could go back to the standards of the title winning season again - big opportunity for the manager and player to put some results together over the next few weeks.

Trouble is, the team for Bournemouth will be the same, 442 will be the same and if we get a pen Vardy will smash it down the middle. We are just too predictable. Now I agree that there isn't much out there to replace him so I'm kind of bolloxed in what we do going foward but I can't be doing with this concede a goal, oh better change things crap. 

52 minutes ago, foxhateram said:

The same Claudio that kept us playing the same 4-4-2 formation and tactics that Pearson had success with?  The same Claudio that used the same squad that had carried unbelievable momentum from the season before?

The same Claudio who tinkered with our backroom set up,  that appears to coincide with our downturn in form? The same Claudio that had us in the relegation zone at the business end of last season and looked on hopelessly from the side lines? 

It's a sad tale of hero to zero but he was ineffective once he was required to build, instead he took out the wrong jenga pieces and we're still wobbling as a result.

Whomever took this job would struggle, we are a squad low on confidence, who were delivered the harshest of starts and an unfortunate injury list. Injuries almost never happened under Pearson (so much so that people questioned if we were doping) and confidence and belief were never an issue (Player Mentors and professional well being counselling, ensured that player mentality was always right). Building blocks removed, we've returned to a team with a squad playing at it's average squad level, rather than a team with belief and aspirations that allow the squad to perform well above it's perceived skill level.

If you can't see what the difference was between how Ranieri played the players in a 442 compared to NP then how we won the Premiership will always remain a mystery to you.

And if Shakespeare can't see why the 442 isn't working without Kante and Drinkwater and insists in playing the same system with inadequate players, then it will be a mystery to him why he's been sacked.